Misuse of Tesco car park

Howard

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheTeapot said:

What a surprise, you think it's a good thing. 

Why isn't it? Myself and hundreds of others have to pay to park in Douglas so why shouldn't you?

Will it police itself or will the corpy be taking on more staff to facilitate this?

I suppose they could redeploy the airport bobbies to check discs instead, might be a bit more going on in their day then.

5 minutes ago, yorik said:

Law of unintended consequences - this will just reaffirm some people's view that it's fine to park there and not go into Tesco. Will probably increase the numbers doing it.

They won't if the consequences of parking there is a £60 ticket...

OK. Let me reword that - will probably increase the numbers chancing it.

I used to work with someone whose parking fines in a couple of months easily outstripped what they would have paid in a pay and display for the year.

2 hours ago, yorik said:

OK. Let me reword that - will probably increase the numbers chancing it.

I used to work with someone whose parking fines in a couple of months easily outstripped what they would have paid in a pay and display for the year.

Also those who previously would not have bothered to park there for under two hours and not go to Tesco at all may now feel it's perfectly OK to do so.  And people who might have gone to do their shopping in Tesco and then popped into Town, leaving the car there, might choose to go somewhere else to do their shopping rather than be embarrassed if they go over the 2 hour limit.  Unintended consequences indeed.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not likely to be in town for more than 2 hours. Making it a two hour disc zone is a nuisance, and makes it more likely I will spend less time in Douglas

You mean it's less likely Douglas has to suffer you being in him for two hours? Is he pleased with that?

Corpy have got to get their dollar from somewhere, there's Jonny's £100k pa mayoral budget/slush fund to pay for, doncha know?

I see DC are also objecting to proposals for an all-Island business rate on the grounds it may reduce their revenue as well.

Is this rumour about the Tesco car park based on the rumour started on one of the local Faceache groups? 'Isle of Man What Gobshites Anonymous' or such like?

Why on earth would a UK company like Tesco employ the services of the stooges at Douglas Borough Council? They're about the last group of knobheads you would want to have involved with your business. 

If they're going to do it at least get a private company to do it. Also as it's technically private land, are any parking fines actually enforceable? 

Archived