The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Since when has it been a building of note?  It is old, certainly, but it only seems to have gained cultural significance recently.  Rebuild with something that appears similar but works in that environment and is designed for a purpose. 

I think therein lies the problem. If they had done that rather than designing a completely out of place monstrosity then there would have been few if any objections. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Since when has it been a building of note?  It is old, certainly, but it only seems to have gained cultural significance recently.  Rebuild with something that appears similar but works in that environment and is designed for a purpose. 

Exactly. And whereas I’m sure your question was rhetorical, I’ll answer it anyway; it has never been, nor ever will be, a building of note. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

If anyone can explain why it need saving I would be happy to listen.

it’s a falling down building of no significant architectural or historical interest - unless I am missing something?

It’s worth saving if only to prevent that proposed monstrosity being built in its place.

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Didn't the monstrosity get refused planning permission? 

I don’t know but sure as eggs is eggs there would be another monstrosity that may be approved.

I am not normally one for clinging to the old for the sake of it but it is a beautiful building and in character with the town of Port Erin and something with similar charm should replace it.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

They are not, you are quite correct 

That foraging vinters beach bar is mental pricey and they don't sell mojitos. 

Knock it down.

Thought it was , anyway had a couple of ciders there during the very hot weather sitting on the deck chairs & it was very tasty. They opened on the Monday even though normally closed & I think it’s a welcome addition to the beach 

40 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

it is a beautiful building and in character with the town of Port Erin…

Even with your propensity for posting aberrant statements that one is a cracker. It is not a beautiful building. It’s a clapped out, conventional, much messed with, pile of Manx cottage-esque ordure. I grant you it is in character with the other elements of Port Erin that satisfy such description. If, when you observe that structure, you do actually see a beautiful building, confirm that fact here and I’ll post the address of Specsavers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s worth saving if only to prevent that proposed monstrosity being built in its place.

The plans I saw were for a modern and energy efficient building that was much more fit for purpose than the pile of rubble that is there now.

Just goes to show you can’t please everyone.

Unfortunately in these situations the people who shout loudest are the ones with the most time on their hands rather than the majority, so think pensioners and Civil Servants.

They are the ones who complain and start petitions when in reality nobody cares about an crumbly old building and the majority would like to see the modern replacement that could be used year round.

Its a crappy old building that needs piling down and there has been enough public money wasted on it already without wasting more on applications, appeals etc.

it is a shame we can’t arrange another, more targeted lighting strike and just get rid of it so the new one can be built which is what the majority of people want

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

The plans I saw were for a modern and energy efficient building that was much more fit for purpose than the pile of rubble that is there now.

Just goes to show you can’t please everyone.

Unfortunately in these situations the people who shout loudest are the ones with the most time on their hands rather than the majority, so think pensioners and Civil Servants.

They are the ones who complain and start petitions when in reality nobody cares about an crumbly old building and the majority would like to see the modern replacement that could be used year round.

Its a crappy old building that needs piling down and there has been enough public money wasted on it already without wasting more on applications, appeals etc.

it is a shame we can’t arrange another, more targeted lighting strike and just get rid of it so the new one can be built which is what the majority of people want

Port Erin Commissioners appear fairly pro active in terms of the town.  This is particularly so in regard to their main attraction - the beach front.  The initiatives that encourage bands, beach sports, the beach huts, pop ups etc are to be applauded.  The Upper Promenade has seen a redevelopment and whilst the Cosy Nook could be described as quaint, it is clearly not fit for purpose.  The proposed new development would be fitting for the area and progression of the town.  The current inertia is all too common in such matters.

• Like 1

The old cottage on the site, can't even be used, its too dangerous. The current tenants are basically using the outside area. You can't have a cup of tea inside the building if it's raining.

Good on the Commissioners who are wanting the building delisted, knock it down and get something fit for purpose built in it's place.

Too much attention is paid to the vocal minority on this Island. Case in point is the Horse Trams, a few people shouted that they must be preserved after Douglas Corporation decided they couldn't afford to keep running them, so Government steps in and god know how many millions have been spent since.

• Like 5

Surely if PE Commissioners submitted plans for a modern, resort enhancing beach cafe then a lot of opposition to their proposals would fade away

The problem is their insistence on doing everything in an arse about face manner & an intention to build an Atlantic Wall bunker edifice on a beach cafe site

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Even with your propensity for posting aberrant statements that one is a cracker. It is not a beautiful building. It’s a clapped out, conventional, much messed with, pile of Manx cottage-esque ordure. I grant you it is in character with the other elements of Port Erin that satisfy such description. If, when you observe that structure, you do actually see a beautiful building, confirm that fact here and I’ll post the address of Specsavers.

Why do you have to be so impossibly rude to others who have a different opinion or view  to yourself?

Particularly something so trivial as the aesthetics of a building.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why do you have to be so impossibly rude to others who have a different opinion or view  to yourself?

Particularly something so trivial as the aesthetics of a building.

It’s difficult to equate my remarks to the description ‘impossibly rude’. Blunt perhaps, but not impossibly rude. By the same token I could describe your observation as ‘impossibly obtuse’ as no reasoned assessment of the Cosy Nook could ever conceive of it being ‘a beautiful building’ (though possibly it is for someone who has spent a lifetime in an Afghan cave). And building aesthetics are not trivial - you certainly didn’t think so when applying your ‘beautiful’ designation. 

• Like 1