Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

La Colombe

4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I would be interested to see a proper, non-biased breakdown of accident, (or should I say, incident?), causes. Vehicle, vehicle size, vehicle age, age of driver, years since driver passed test, where driver passed test, speed, location, weather, road conditions, time of day or night, street lights, type of manoeuvre or anything else relative to cause.

Then and only then can a realistic, meaningful course of action be worked on and carried out.

I would ask you, Flaps, how many fatals occur outside of racing, rally, or other public road events?

This is at long last being done with the introduction of STATS20 reporting. 

I only asked for it about 15 yrs ago.

The big thing that needs to change, is culture. 

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, dilligaf said:

Corner cutting is not illegal and is actually encouraged in the advanced driving test.

Yes we've been through this before I think.  No issue with cutting corners that you can see through and there's no one coming the other way.  An awful lot wrong with nearly running someone off the road as you can't be arsed to keep to to your side on a corner.

2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I'm interested in your comment about culture. 

What would you suggest should change?

It needs to start with a total demarcation between road racing, and behaviours on the roads. The cops have been doing the best they can for years with the policy they are stuck with, but until we start to deal with TT in a totally different manner, the real change won’t begin. The roads are treated as a playground by many, rather than a mode of transport. If you want a hoon  - book Jurby!

Driving needs to be more closely aligned with active travel too. Driving standards also need massive investment.

I will add though, I am just back from a road trip to Scotland. Some of the driving I witnessed round Heysham today was beyond the pale. Some people need to slow the f*ck down! It’s an indictment that without wholesale enforcement, speed limits are pointless.

Just now, Chef Raekwon said:

Yes we've been through this before I think.  No issue with cutting corners that you can see through and there's no one coming the other way.  An awful lot wrong with nearly running someone off the road as you can't be arsed to keep to to your side on a corner.

“run the right if you can see the subsequent left”

7 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Nobody has said anything different.

One thing I see quite often is a vehicle on the main drag and, say, turning left into a street and thinking, for some incredibly stupid reason, that they have right of way over pedestrians crossing that road as they are following the main road as well.

One stopped and wound down the window to give them some abuse only to be told, very politely, that the pedestrians have right of way and do you have a driving licence...?

I hope you're reading this.

Found the better description:

Drivers must give way to pedestrians crossing the road into which their vehicles are turning. You must also give way to pedestrians if there is a danger of colliding with them, even if there is no marked pedestrian crossing.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

One thing I see quite often is a vehicle on the main drag and, say, turning left into a street and thinking, for some incredibly stupid reason, that they have right of way over pedestrians crossing that road as they are following the main road as well.

One stopped and wound down the window to give them some abuse only to be told, very politely, that the pedestrians have right of way and do you have a driving licence...?

I hope you're reading this.

Found the better description:

Drivers must give way to pedestrians crossing the road into which their vehicles are turning. You must also give way to pedestrians if there is a danger of colliding with them, even if there is no marked pedestrian crossing.

You are confusing the Highway Code with Law.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

You are confusing the Highway Code with Law.

Quite possibly. But I would say not to give way to pedestrians in that situation is plain and simply at least reckless and possibly dangerous driving.

I feel a certain irony in this as yesterday I was down the rifle range chatting in the car park, as you do, and walking back to my car to get the toys the car in the bay next to mine suddenly shot backwards at speed. The driver then showed amazing braking skills by bringing the vehicle to a halt neatly pinning my left foot to the tarmac with the rear nearside wheel. With me hammering on the roof the driver then panicked and started revving the bollox off his car. After about 30 seconds someone came to the drivers aid by opening the drivers door and shouting at him. He eventually got the idea and moved forward.

Within 10 minutes my foot was displaying an exact replica of the tyre tread. Much to the interest and amusement of those gathered around. Really really fucking hurts though. But nothing broken.

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Quite possibly. But I would say not to give way to pedestrians in that situation is plain and simply at least reckless and possibly dangerous driving.

I feel a certain irony in this as yesterday I was down the rifle range chatting in the car park, as you do, and walking back to my car to get the toys the car in the bay next to mine suddenly shot backwards at speed. The driver then showed amazing braking skills by bringing the vehicle to a halt neatly pinning my left foot to the tarmac with the rear nearside wheel. With me hammering on the roof the driver then panicked and started revving the bollox off his car. After about 30 seconds someone came to the drivers aid by opening the drivers door and shouting at him. He eventually got the idea and moved forward.

Within 10 minutes my foot was displaying an exact replica of the tyre tread. Much to the interest and amusement of those gathered around. Really really fucking hurts though. But nothing broken.

But could you measure the tread depth ?

Archived