New buses all round

Dirty Buggane

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I see old Longtail must be dusting off the old cheque book , seen a new and shiny demonstrator making the rounds .  

Well all the Volvo double deckers we have now must be at least 2 or 3 years old. Budgets have to be spent by March and can’t have any surplus cash swilling round that could be spent on cancer treatments or the fire service. 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well all the Volvo double deckers we have now must be at least 2 or 3 years old. Budgets have to be spent by March and can’t have any surplus cash swilling round that could be spent on cancer treatments or the fire service. 

I know. but did I say it's nice and shiny.

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's a Dennis Enviro 400 possibly a hybrid version. 

Expect to see many millions squandered on a whole new fleet playing the green card.

And why pray tell would that be a bad thing? Replacing old buses due for replacement with hybrid buses is a good idea....even better would be pure electric buses.

22 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

If one wanted to project an image of prosperity, affluence and financial acumen then one could do a lot worse than buy a fleet of very shiny buses. 

Indeed. Image. Counts for everything.

Running them around Douglas takes the gloss off a bit though.

8 hours ago, La Colombe said:

If one wanted to project an image of prosperity, affluence and financial acumen then one could do a lot worse than buy a fleet of very shiny buses. 

You don't need financial acumen to spend other people's money; just a brass neck layered with thick skin and a subservient minister.

10 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I know. but did I say it's nice and shiny.

It does piss me off. We’re scratching round trying to find money for the DHSC to save lives of Manx taxpayers and that twat seems to have an open chequebook for anything he wants whether needed or not. If you ever want proof of just how much the IOM utterly stinks you only have to look as far as Longtail and Bus Vannin. 

29 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Not much point in buying electric buses for here as our electricity is not generated by an enviromentally friendly method

is energy consumption equal electric  vs diesel per mile? 

Is the environmental impact of generating enough electricity (even by our methods) more our less than the impact of a diesel engine over the same distance? 

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

is energy consumption equal electric  vs diesel per mile? 

Is the environmental impact of generating enough electricity (even by our methods) more our less than the impact of a diesel engine over the same distance? 

The current greenhouse gas emissions plus other pollutants from diesel versus emissions from generating and environmental costs of the battery production and disposal means there is little benefit, but as the world moves towards wind, wave, water turbine and solar the balance changes, and over the life of a bus, which would be 25 years, should be significant. We should forward plan.

Archived