Isle of Man Prison - reality TV

slinkydevil

WTF is this :D:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/is-islands-prison-to-feature-in-tv-series/

Sun suggests "Island Prison" will be "Big Brother" replacement

It's claimed the Island's prison could feature in a "Big Brother" style reality TV series.

"The Sun" suggests the show - which they claim will be called simply "Island Prison" will "follow the inmates locked up on the Isle of Man and will chart their romances and clashes".

It's claimed it will be "one of the grittiest reality shows ever"

In his "Bizarre TV" column Andy Hall writes that "it will be filmed in a similar way to Big Brother and Love Island, with producers focusing on a group of central characters and the drama that is their daily life behind bars.

It describes the Island's facility as being a "five-wing prison which has more than 100 inmates. Facilities include private rooms with en-suite bathrooms, TVs and even PlayStations."

The Sun suggests the series will be screened sometime next year.

Manx Radio understands that filming has been taking place at the prison this summer, but with an emphasis on innovative practices taking place there, including inmates growing vegetables and beekeeping.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty who dreamt this up? Cash Strapped Cannan or Washing Machine Repairman Malarkey. The island is in a mess, due to its own incompetence, and we have this idea, coupled with the revelation that cameras have been filming. Don’t tell me that filming and access has been granted gratis, like the mountain road closures.  I’m struggling to see the benefits of this ............. tourism? Don’t make me laugh!

Sun, stick end wrong of got the.

Must have been a particularly rememerable early Xmas party.  

‘Sho, my beshist buddy what you been filming lately?’

’oh, a report on a prison and it’s inmates, got a few inmates and recording their life behind bars.  One is a tranny, one a billionaire, one is doing life, but he got let out before we finished filming, a couple of druggies, a celebrity and a bloke who says he is innocent.’

’thatshounds great, sort of like big bro-burrrrp-ver.’

’yeah, what ever you pisshead, your Uber is here’

Reality TV will continue to be appealing to the masses, it appeals to the voyeur in most people, however, Why anyone gives a fuck about prisoners is beyond me....but hen again all reality TV is beyond my understanding as to why people watch it....Made in Chelsea is an example of semi-scripted reality TV that baffles me completely.

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

In all honesty who dreamt this up? Cash Strapped Cannan or Washing Machine Repairman Malarkey. The island is in a mess, due to its own incompetence, and we have this idea, coupled with the revelation that cameras have been filming. Don’t tell me that filming and access has been granted gratis, like the mountain road closures.  I’m struggling to see the benefits of this ............. tourism? Don’t make me laugh!

no but it'll make everyone laugh at the iom in the uk.......

48 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Sodomy Island with all its romances and clashes. 

The Sun online version of the story (which only seems available in their Irish edition) is fairly bonkers:

An ITV insider said the reality show 'will be filmed in a similar way to Love Island and Big Brother'

ITV chiefs have gained access to a high-security jail — where both men and women are banged up — in one of the ­grittiest reality shows ever.

The six-part Island Prison follows the love lives and clashes of inmates locked up on the Isle of Man.

An ITV insider said: “After Big Brother and Love Island there aren’t many new avenues to take this sort of warts-and-all format.

"It will be filmed in a similar way to those shows, with producers focusing on a group of central characters and the drama that is their daily life behind bars.

“Like all reality shows, viewers will really get to know the stars who all have their own story and nothing will be glossed over. They wouldn’t be out of place in a TV soap.”

Island Prison is due to be screened next year.

Cameras were allowed inside the jail for four months over the summer.

The five-wing prison has more than 100 inmates. Facilities include private rooms with en-suite bathrooms, TVs and even PlayStations.

The Sun appears to envision it as Jurby Love Island which may be a bit limited by the way there are normally only a handful of female prisoners at any one time[1].  This sounds more like a desperate marketing ploy for what may turn out to be a rather dull and worthy series, probably on one of the higher-numbered ITV channels.  I'm sure there was a fair amount of acting up for the cameras (from inmates and staff) and you can distort things wonderfully in the edit suite, but I suspect it will end up more like An Island Parish than Orange is the Only Black.  (And presumably that's what the prison authorities will be hoping for).

[1]  At the end of August there were 106 prisoners (itself rather high by historic standards) of whom only 4 or 5 were female.

According to Manx Radio, the Government has now got all indignant:

Government slams "Big Brother" prison story

Monday, December 3rd, 2018 2:19pm

Government says it's "surprised and disappointed" how filming at the Isle of Man prison has been reported by The Sun.

An article on the newspaper's online site suggests the Island's prison is to feature in a "Big Brother" style reality TV series, which "will follow the inmates locked up on the Isle of Man and chart their romances and clashes".

Andy Hall's 'Bizarre TV' column suggests ITV chiefs have gained access to a high-security jail — "where both men and women are banged up" to make "one of the grittiest reality shows ever"

A statement from government on the Island says the programme is in fact "a serious documentary looking at the work of the Isle of Man Prison and probation service."

It goes on to say that officers worked with a documentary team between June and September of this year, "exploring the innovative work that the prison does in preventing re-offending. To portray it in this manner shows a complete lack of respect to victims and those who contributed to the making of the documentary" 

The statement ends by pointing out that all prisoners on the Island are completely segregated and there are no opportunities for male and female prisoners to mix.

Archived