Posties Driving Allowance

nelwd

Is there anybody on here who knows what the Posties £816 or £715 ‘Driving Allowance is for? This is a genuine question, I am not looking for comedy or argumentative answers.

As a Driver what is the situation if you have an at fault accident e.g you reverse into a wall and break the rear light, misjudge a corner and scrape the side of the vehicle? Is the driving allowance designed to cover these costs i.e. are you expected to pay the excess / cost of the repairs if it is below the excess cost?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kevster said:

Maybe it is to compensate them for using their own cars to get to the start of their round..... 

I’m pretty sure it is. It covers them for using their own cars to get to and from their rounds. I’d imagine if they are using their own cars for ‘business’ then they will have to declare that to their insurers. 

12 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

You are both wrong. It is a payment for those whose duty is driving based, rural postmen, parcel duties etc.

OK, I accept that.

What do they get paid then for using their own cars for carrying the bags around.

They cant do it for love. I used my car for work a long time ago ( for Gov ) and I got 50p per mile to cover fuel and insurance costs.

I'd imagine (and I don't know) that it is reward for having a driving licence and therefore being able to drive a PO vehicle for the duty they cover.

The payscale will start at the bottom for a basic unskilled. Relevant qualifications (such as a driving licence) attract upgrades and progression. That's how the system works elsewhere in Govt.

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'd imagine (and I don't know) that it is reward for having a driving licence and therefore being able to drive a PO vehicle for the duty they cover.

The payscale will start at the bottom for a basic unskilled. Relevant qualifications (such as a driving licence) attract upgrades and progression. That's how the system works elsewhere in Govt.

Quite.

I imagine one has to progress from a being postie up to becoming a postie.

What is the difference between a basic postie and a "skilled" postie ? surely a postie is a postie is a postie. ?

Even worse in DOI

21 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

OK, I accept that.

What do they get paid then for using their own cars for carrying the bags around.

They cant do it for love. I used my car for work a long time ago ( for Gov ) and I got 50p per mile to cover fuel and insurance costs.

How long is long ago, I was only getting 11pence per mile into the early nineties  (non government) ?

Just now, dilligaf said:

Quite.

I imagine one has to progress from a being postie up to becoming a postie.

What is the difference between a basic postie and a "skilled" postie ? surely a postie is a postie is a postie. ?

"Central Scrutiniser" has clarified above. But the difference between a basic postie and a "skilled" postie (in my take on it, and in other Gov areas) is the qualification of a driving licence. It's seen as a skill/qualification that attracts an enhancement. How much mail would get shifted if none of them could drive?

Archived