Posties Driving Allowance

nelwd

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

take a look at the CVs of the top management and you'll soon see why.

I've just read through the bios of each of the "Team" not one single person has any experience in supply chain management (for that think Amazon and all the other fulfillment and direct B2C 'catalogue' companies). Lot's of change management and traditional PO operations experience. So it shouldn't come as a surprise (if TCS is correct, and I think he is) that they have lost out in 30 odd tender bids recently.

IOMPO should be the "go-to" organisation for anything remotely to do with delivery of parcels. Manx Independent and the local hauliers must be laughing their heads off at IOMPO dithering.

I don't think I have ever seen an organisation the size (by turnover) of IOMPO with 4 x Business Development Managers! WTF do these people do all day??

The Board need to start at the top and start asking these people... "what exactly is it you do all day?" 

The "Peter Principle" is alive and well and absolutely thriving in the Public Sector it would seem.

Four Business Development Managers cost how much each?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Plenty of businesses rely on Saturday deliveries. Say your car's in the garage waiting for a part and you're screaming for it. Saturday post delivery might see you get it back by Saturday dinnertime in time for the rest of the weekend. Otherwise it's Monday or later.

As posted before this is a regressive cut to an established public service and the come-to-be-expected cuts to the coalfacers.

If there's really 4 Business Development Managers in post somebody wants to be asking them exactly what it is that they're actually developing. Other than their bank accounts and pensions.

I just don't understand this attempt to get rid of Saturday delivery.  Even if there is still a parcels service, there are a lot of small packets and so on, that come with the ordinary post,  that need to be signed for and Saturday may be the only day on which some people can receive them.  And if all these Business Development Managers are trying to develop business, how will they do so with a poorer service than their competitors?

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I just don't understand this attempt to get rid of Saturday delivery.  Even if there is still a parcels service, there are a lot of small packets and so on, that come with the ordinary post,  that need to be signed for and Saturday may be the only day on which some people can receive them.  And if all these Business Development Managers are trying to develop business, how will they do so with a poorer service than their competitors?

But you don't have a choice as to when the parcel is delivered? If Saturday is the only day you can receive it, do you make sure that whoever posts it out does so on Thursday or Friday? If the post is delayed or doesn't make it, then on Monday you get a "missed call" card and have to go and get it.

By not delivering to businesses, I mean that I don't believe all the PO Box mail which is dropped off to companies is delivered. Does the postman still walk down Athol Street posting mail through doors on Saturdays?

Guernsey stopped Saturday deliveries years ago and I'm not aware it causes any major issues.

Surely the Business Development Managers can only deal with sending post out from the island?? Are they really speaking to the likes of Amazon saying "give us your business for anything sent to the IOM"? Unless Amazon uses Royal Mail for their collection, it will never be passed onto IOM Post Office?

58 minutes ago, andrew said:

But you don't have a choice as to when the parcel is delivered? If Saturday is the only day you can receive it, do you make sure that whoever posts it out does so on Thursday or Friday? If the post is delayed or doesn't make it, then on Monday you get a "missed call" card and have to go and get it.

By not delivering to businesses, I mean that I don't believe all the PO Box mail which is dropped off to companies is delivered. Does the postman still walk down Athol Street posting mail through doors on Saturdays?

Guernsey stopped Saturday deliveries years ago and I'm not aware it causes any major issues.

Surely the Business Development Managers can only deal with sending post out from the island?? Are they really speaking to the likes of Amazon saying "give us your business for anything sent to the IOM"? Unless Amazon uses Royal Mail for their collection, it will never be passed onto IOM Post Office?

It sounds like they are talking to those companies that have contracts with Amazon etc but for some reason are unable to convert those talks/bids into business. The questions is, why? There was a newspaper article a few weeks back that claimed IOMPO failed to win a bid for a contract but the same contract was subsequently awarded to them as a sub-sub-contractor. If I understood the article correctly it said that the winner was effectively a one-man-band (as a sub-contractor) who then subbed it out again to IOMPO. If that is correct then there's something horribly wrong with IOMPO business development.

21 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

I think that was the Yodel contract. PO were outbid but the winner rapidly came unstuck & came running to PO to take a load of it of his hands. Of course PO trumpeted loudly how they had "won" a major contract when they had done nothing of the sort.

Thanks for clarifying.

2 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

I think that was the Yodel contract. PO were outbid but the winner rapidly came unstuck & came running to PO to take a load of it of his hands. Of course PO trumpeted loudly how they had "won" a major contract when they had done nothing of the sort.

Please don't tell me that the Yodel business is being subbed to the PO with a middleman creaming it...?

Archived