Chaos At Gatwick...

La Colombe

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

This has a Vlad The Impaler stamp all over it. Why? Because he can.... just like the frequent forays of TU95's "straying" into UK airspace.  

I think you’re right.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gee Cee said:

I see that the culprits were cyclists. 

This is just the sort of thing that we should expect from Lycra Louts.

Hmm, you know you could fly a drone during TT nothing to stop you, some TT visitors asked me whether anyone had ever topped themselves by chucking themselves in front of a bike, so if you can't afford a drone....

2 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Hmm, you know you could fly a drone during TT nothing to stop you, some TT visitors asked me whether anyone had ever topped themselves by chucking themselves in front of a bike, so if you can't afford a drone....

It would do to make a protest, like the woman who,  as an emblem of women's emancipation, chucked herself in front of the kings race horse.

I am told there were similar demonstrations on the Isle of Man when hordes of 16 year-olds were demanding the vote and one chucked herself in front of a horse tram.

Actually, I made that last bit up. There were only hordes pf 16 year-olds glued to their X-box and sulking in their bedrooms.

Seems to be a bit of kick off online about Ronaldsway closing last night (at its normal time) instead of staying open to allow a Gatwick flight in. Doesn't affect me in the slightest, but I kind of think that maybe they should have done the decent thing and extended their hours. Sure enough staff would have appreciated the overtime at this time of year. 

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Seems to be a bit of kick off online about Ronaldsway closing last night (at its normal time) instead of staying open to allow a Gatwick flight in. Doesn't affect me in the slightest, but I kind of think that maybe they should have done the decent thing and extended their hours. Sure enough staff would have appreciated the overtime at this time of year. 

Get your facts right. It wouldn’t have landed until after 11.30 and then another half hour to turn round. It isn’t just about the cost, EasyJet pay for keeping it open. It’s about the number of hours ATC and firecrew can work. They’d got to the end. Stayed  open as long as they could. EasyJet kept on being put back.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Get your facts right.

What facts? That there is some kick off online? There is. That it closed before a flight could have got in? It did. Maybe my (at its normal time) bit has upset you? That is just what I had read, not really my fact. No need to have a go at me now is there? FFS

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What facts? That there is some kick off online? There is. That it closed before a flight could have got in? It did. Maybe my (at its normal time) bit has upset you? That is just what I had read, not really my fact. No need to have a go at me now is there? FFS

Yes get your facts straight. The fire crew had already spent over 10 hours solid playing snooker and darts and polishing their unused fire engines all day and were totally worn out and out of hours and the airport couldn’t possibly stay open to accommodate people who had the only chance to get home for Christmas before Boxing Day. We’re not running a public service you know. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They’d stayed open nearly 2 hours extra when EasyJet got its take off slot. Then, and only then, could the sums be done.

It doesn’t matter what they’ve been doing all day. The working hours regulations are there for safety. Plane, airport staff, passengers, nearby residents.

Correct decision, unfortunate consequences.

Here are some facts. 

1 Easyjet apparently did not request an extension of Ronaldsway operating hours

2 Had the aircraft set off at the time the passengers were reportedly boarded, 21.45 it could, subject to how long the delay might have been taxying and holding awaiting take-off , have possibly arrived at 23.30 at the earliest. This could  have been accommodated by IOM ATC without question. 

3 At the time the aircraft was boarding at Gatwick, the return flight from IOM was issued with a slot time to depart IOM-LGW well after midnight. 

4 Operational ATC controllers cannot work more than 10 hours in an operational shift as specified in CAA CAP670 Part D. By midnight they’d be well over time. We don’t have enough spare ATC to pull people in without knock on consequences.

5. EasyJet do pay to keep open late. It’s cheaper than cancelling and then paying for accommodation.

Guess.

Easyjet took the operational decision to cancel both legs because they could not be sure to get the aircraft and crew back to Gatwick the same night.

John, you’re the lawyer, not me, but have you actually read CAA CAP 670 part D?  Seems to me, from a superficial reading, that there is sufficient flexibility to remain open, more at least than to which the air traffic controllers here (or retired ATCs perhaps) allude:

Para D28 “At units where workload for any part of the day is judged to be low and the activity is spasmodic rather than continuous, periods of operational duty, at these times, may be extended to a maximum of four hours, provided that the following break is taken pro-rata (e.g. 45 minutes after 3 hours or 60 minutes after 4 hours).”    Might be considered applicable to the IOM situation which is generally inherently less intense that, for example the control towers at Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham etc and particularly as all other traffic would have quietened significantly mid evening that night to allow sufficient rest periods.

also

Para D52 “In exceptional circumstances a Provider at a unit may in its discretion modify any Limitation through persons exercising its authority.”  Exceptional circumstances being, perhaps, a one off delay caused by completely unexpected events at Gatwick, in the run up to Christmas?  

To me, these time limits don’t seem as black and white as painted.

Archived