Do qualifications matter?

Manx Bean

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WTF said:

i think he's saying his wife did job 'A' for 2 years as a temp, but when job 'A' was advertised as a full time post she wasn't considered even though she'd been doing it for 2 years.

I am aware of that. But the substantive post holder would be a qualified person capable of being promoted. the temp would not.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I am aware of that. But the substantive post holder would be a qualified person capable of being promoted. the temp would not.

not everyone can be promoted though,   if his mrs was happy to stay on the bottom rung of the ladder with security, why not?   not every copper gets to be chief constable.

Just now, WTF said:

not everyone can be promoted though,   if his mrs was happy to stay on the bottom rung of the ladder with security, why not?   not every copper gets to be chief constable.

I think you have missed the point. Why should she get the security of the post without being qualified for it.?

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I think you have missed the point. Why should she get the security of the post without being qualified for it.?

so they allowed someone unqualified to do the job to actually do the job for 2 years ??  incompetent  employers.  

play on words above,  but if you have proved you can do a job ,  what difference do GCSE's matter?   she could have enough GCSE's in chemistry, religion, foreign languages and a load of ologys totally worthless and of no relevance to the job,  what is the point?

1 minute ago, WTF said:

so they allowed someone unqualified to do the job to actually do the job for 2 years ??  incompetent  employers.  

play on words above,  but if you have proved you can do a job ,  what difference do GCSE's matter?   she could have enough GCSE's in chemistry, religion, foreign languages and a load of ologys totally worthless and of no relevance to the job,  what is the point?

The point is to be the substantive post holder and be entitled to sick pay, holiday pay, promotion and pension etc. one has to be qualified.

The temp filling in for whatever reason may be able to do the basic job, but not anything further up the scale.

Why can't you see that ?

I know / knew a Civil Servant, who did not have the required GCSEs for promotion, who went to night school and passed in photography to top up the points. She got her promotion. One just has to prove they have the intelligence and ability to pass exams.

I am not saying that people who did not pass exams are any less clever, it is just not PROVEN.

Edit to add that we all though algebra  and things like "logs" were stupid and would never be needed, but it is ability to work things out that counts, not just why X =5 

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The point is to be the substantive post holder and be entitled to sick pay, holiday pay, promotion and pension etc. one has to be qualified.

The temp filling in for whatever reason may be able to do the basic job, but not anything further up the scale.

Why can't you see that ?

i can,  but not everybody gets promoted,  plenty of folks never get promoted,  being eligible for promotion doesn't mean you'll ever be offered it or even if you are you aren't forced to take it.  if she was happy to be what ever she was temping at and that job would need doing for the distant future i don't see why  in real terms she shouldn't be allowed it.

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I know / knew a Civil Servant, who did not have the required GCSEs for promotion, who went to night school and passed in photography to top up the points. She got her promotion. One just has to prove they have the intelligence and ability to pass exams.

I am not saying that people who did not pass exams are any less clever, it is just not PROVEN.

not everyone wants promotion.

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

i can,  but not everybody gets promoted,  plenty of folks never get promoted,  being eligible for promotion doesn't mean you'll ever be offered it or even if you are you aren't forced to take it.  if she was happy to be what ever she was temping at and that job would need doing for the distant future i don't see why  in real terms she shouldn't be allowed it.

FFS. the temp was not a gov employee. She was paid by an agency

Just now, MrPB said:

Neither does anyone else. One poster seems to be arguing black is white against most reasonable logic displayed in this thread. If someone can do a job and have shown they can do a job for 2 years without issue than what GCSEs they might have us irrelevant surely which most people seem to agree on. Perhaos GCSEs is all some have to fall back on in the absence of people having wider practical and life experience outside of the government fish bowl? 

None so blind as those who will not see. FFS. Take a minute to read the posts and think about them. Little wonder we are seen as some backwater populated by morons. 

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

All that and he’s definitely never tossed a firemen off. 

I thought you had the same warnings as I and ND had. What a shameful and disgusting post to make. I hope you are embarrassed when you think about that.

Just now, MrPB said:

I can’t be bothered. I thought I would contribute to this thread but your multiple posts berating everyone else for not agreeing with your are tiresome to be honest. I’ll go to bed instead. Thanks. 

Night night.

Archived