Do qualifications matter?

Manx Bean

Well, clearly the debate over whether the standard of a Civil Service recruits is being put at risk by the removal of the requirement for GCSEs has delivered the best instance of irony I can recall, ever.

When you consider the person asking the question has a degree, is a qualified teacher - but still an utter clown. Nice one Jason! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-seeks-assurances-over-civil-service-applicants/

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Well, clearly the debate over whether the standard of a Civil Service recruits is being put at risk by the removal of the requirement for GCSEs has delivered the best instance of irony I can recall, ever.

When you consider the person asking the question has a degree, is a qualified teacher - but still an utter clown. Nice one Jason! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-seeks-assurances-over-civil-service-applicants/

looking at our current elected members, I would suggest having a decent education isn't all it's cracked up to be

In all seriousness,  the requirement for GCSE's should surely be based on the role?  They are not the be all and end all of qualifications and I know several people who did not do that well at GCSE's but flourished with more independent learning in further and higher education.  

obviously some of the CS have really thick kids that can't get a GCSE and they need a way to get their offspring onto the gravy train.   once you're in you can get promoted to where qualifications would be very useful without actually having any.

Do qualifications matter? They certainly didn't matter to recent retirees who have been shuffled up to the top over the last 40 years with barely a handful of O'Levels between them.

No problem with that as such,  but their usefulness and worth was less than impressive.  

5 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

They have to move down the value chain now the wages and pensions are being peeled back. 

I left school at 14, worked in an accountants office until I got bored and joined the RAF at 19, I served 22 years and reached a high level as a senior nco, when I retired and returned to the Island there was a job advertised in the tourist board, the post required 4 ‘o’ levels, despite my service history and being Manx born I wasn’t considered as I only had 2 O levels ! The rank I attained required more than any O levels but the rules said 4 O levels. 

1 minute ago, Supamanx said:

I left school at 14, worked in an accountants office until I got bored and joined the RAF at 19, I served 22 years and reached a high level as a senior nco, when I retired and returned to the Island there was a job advertised in the tourist board, the post required 4 ‘o’ levels, despite my service history and being Manx born I wasn’t considered as I only had 2 O levels ! The rank I attained required more than any O levels but the rules said 4 O levels. 

Plus the life experience you had would have brought a lot. 

Equivalent experience is important...but exams are all about proving whether you can take in certain knowledge in a discipline and process it to make sensible related decisions/actions. Experience is verifiable over time and by references. 

But this barmy idea sounds like the latest government scheme to hide the unemployed unemployables. There are enough barely qualified/experienced numpties working in there already.

Bottom line. They should match all requirements/qualifications for government jobs to their private sector equivalents. 

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Equivalent experience is important...but exams are all about proving whether you can take in certain knowledge in a discipline and process it to make sensible related decisions/actions. Experience is verifiable over time and by references. 

But this barmy idea sounds like the latest government scheme to hide the unemployed unemployables. There are enough barely qualified/experienced numpties working in there already.

Bottom line. They should match all requirements/qualifications for government jobs to their private sector equivalents. 

Yes but supamanx is a good case in point. 

Someone in their 40s with a strong CV and a load of life experience to offer shouldn't need 4 GCSEs. Someone who is 18 who doesn’t have 4 GCSEs is probably a fuckwit and has experience of absolutely nothing on top. 

Surely it should depend on the following:

1. Does the position actually require qualifications, if so, what actual qualifications are required that would be of benefit?

2. Does experience serve as an alternative to educational/vocational qualifications?

3. Does the position offer the opportunity to gain the qualifications within a set period of time from the commencement of employment?

4. Are other qualifications acceptable as an alternative to qualifications required/desired?

5. Does the position have a probationary period where the employee is given the opportunity to prove themselves as being competent in lieu of any or all qualifications?

6. Does the potential employee have a proven good history of competence of doing the job in the same or similar environment/industry prior to potential employment in Government?

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes but supamanx is a good case in point. 

Someone in their 40s with a strong CV and a load of life experience to offer shouldn't need 4 GCSEs. Someone who is 18 who doesn’t have 4 GCSEs is probably a fuckwit and has experience of absolutely nothing on top. 

There's plenty @ 40+ with nothing like a strong CV and fook all experience other than a life overseeing feck up after feck up in Govt. and being conveniently promoted up or sideways to hide it...

Archived