Do qualifications matter?

Manx Bean

Firstly to get into the Scribbling Service the bar is already set pretty low.

Secondly I find their promotion criteria to be an absolute joke.

I worked in a Quango which had CS/PS gradings but flexibility on pay because of technical knowledge and a private sector going rate that meant any decent staff were not going to stay for any length of time. The work was interesting and rewarding. The only downside were the "managers" who seemed to have got where they were mostly due to time served and dead man's shoes. They didn't have the faintest idea what we were doing. Which made them a bloody nuisance. I was sad but relieved when I was poached by a supplier.

In the private sector you only get promoted if they're sure that you will add considerably more than the promotion cost to the bottom line.

Contrast that to years served and you realise why public sector promotions are self-perpetuating.....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But they were / are the rules. Temps do not and cannot get promotion to more senior positions, so their GCSE's ( or lack of them ) are not taken into account. 

It wasn’t a promotion. It was a job vacancy.

54 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Then she had two years to get her ass to the college and do the relevant GCSEs if she wanted the job

She was more than qualified to do the job. It was her boss in government that put her forward. She obviously valued my wife’s skills

52 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I think you have missed the point. Why should she get the security of the post without being qualified for it.?

I take it you have difficulty in understanding the written word. Read this carefully... SHE DID THE JOB FOR TWO YEARS

1 minute ago, PmJ said:

My money is on the brick wall being more intelligent.

You lose.

Why are you grinding your axe on here?

Weak management always hides behind their book of rules. And the management in the CS/PS, well....?

But if the rule book says "Mais Non!" then a decision outside of the rules is always open to challenge.

And they wouldn't want that....

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You lose.

Why are you grinding your axe on here?

Weak management always hides behind their book of rules. And the management in the CS/PS, well....?

But if the rule book says "Mais Non!" then a decision outside of the rules is always open to challenge.

And they wouldn't want that....

Are comments not allowed then. Quite a few comments re the employment/non employment clearly stated the government were quite happy to employ somebody from an agency without their required qualifications. Does that not smack of hypocrisy to you?

51 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I thought you had the same warnings as I and ND had. What a shameful and disgusting post to make. I hope you are embarrassed when you think about that.

Lets get one thing straight Dilli as this is the last post of yours that I will be responding directly to. I will post what I like on here and it has got absolutely nothing to do with you. If you don’t like my humour then put me on ignore, if you don’t like my sarcasm then put me on ignore, if you don’t like some of the things I say about Government then put me on ignore. That’s what the ignore function is for. I have not responded to one post of either yours of Neil’s in weeks so there is no need for you to single out any of my posts as they are not in direct response to anything you have posted. What people don’t want to see is your sniping, whinging, and bitter finger pointing at any poster who you think if you kick up enough shit you can get banned because you’re sick of being banned yourself for the way you behave on here. Few people (if anyone) care. Can we please get back to normal posting on here as some interesting subjects have been raised in the last few weeks; not least Ramsey Marina which despite your shit-posting most people on MF seem to support as they can see that we need to do something to dig ourselves out of the mess we’re in and this thread about government employee qualification benchmarks which, again, most people seem to agree need changing. 

That is all, thanks. Please don’t respond.  

42 minutes ago, PmJ said:

Are comments not allowed then. Quite a few comments re the employment/non employment clearly stated the government were quite happy to employ somebody from an agency without their required qualifications. Does that not smack of hypocrisy to you?

Comment away. But it's not Dillis fault that she failed to meet the criteria.

It doesn't smack of hypocrisy to me because agency staff are temps utilised until an appropriate candidate is found, frequently an internal move.

The CS/PS just love their rulebooks....

I've got a fair few qualifications. I did a degree at 18 and have gone back in to full time education a couple of times to post grad requalify for other careers. In doing so I took big risks as a man with a young family and no income but the rewards were there if I passed the exams.

I also went to a crap school in a council sink estate but worked hard and did alright. I was surrounded by people who were too cool for school and did fuck all. Lot's of them now carp on about "the University of life" and the importance of experience because they have nothing else. They want something for nothing in return. I agree, experience is important, i've got it by the bucket load but i always smile to myself when people moan or cry foul about why their experience doesn't trump qualifications. Qualifications show commitment to learning  and application outside of the workplace when others are out having a good time spending money you don't have, you're inside bashing the books with no guarantees of anything at the end.

If you want the job that much show it and get the papers.

11 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Equivalent experience is important...but exams are all about proving whether you can take in certain knowledge in a discipline and process it to make sensible related decisions/actions. Experience is verifiable over time and by references. 

But this barmy idea sounds like the latest government scheme to hide the unemployed unemployables. There are enough barely qualified/experienced numpties working in there already.

Bottom line. They should match all requirements/qualifications for government jobs to their private sector equivalents. 

I think you find Albert that its more about the fact hardly anyone is applying. It's more about low salaries at the bottom end.

Archived