Do qualifications matter?

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There's plenty @ 40+ with nothing like a strong CV and fook all experience other than a life overseeing feck up after feck up in Govt. and being conveniently promoted up or sideways to hide it...

There is I completely agree with you. I made a glib comment at the start as I think it is moving down the value chain when it comes to new recruits now the pension and pay isn’t so good. But I wasn’t aware that mature candidates still had to meet the criteria even if they’ve had 20 plus years where they’ve managed to build a great career in the ‘real world’ without high school qualifications and would add considerable value in terms of life experience whether they’ve achieved a few GCSEs or not. Having a template approach is why IOMG is so full of fucking idiots in the first place. You don’t want to have to add more of the same, you need people with different experiences in the melting pot otherwise you’re just perpetuating myopia. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His argument is mental. If the new starters become key civil servants in twenty years time their effectiveness in the role won’t depend on their GCSEs. It will depend on what skills, experience and personal qualities they have developed over intervening 20 years. 

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

His argument is mental. If the new starters become key civil servants in twenty years time their effectiveness in the role won’t depend on their GCSEs. It will depend on what skills, experience and personal qualities they have developed over intervening 20 years. 

Which will be NONE in most cases. 

I have heard David Christian on the radio tonight talking about DBC rates and how they are set. He really is a great speaker who knows what he is talking about. He answered every question with a comprehensive reply and spoke for at least 10 to 15 minutes obviously off the cuff. 

A great shame we don't have MHKs that can hold their own and give out so much clear information.

I don't know David's educational history, but if our top CSs and MHKs could only be half as smart, we would be doing well.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

Surely it should depend on the following:

1. Does the position actually require qualifications, if so, what actual qualifications are required that would be of benefit?

2. Does experience serve as an alternative to educational/vocational qualifications?

3. Does the position offer the opportunity to gain the qualifications within a set period of time from the commencement of employment?

4. Are other qualifications acceptable as an alternative to qualifications required/desired?

5. Does the position have a probationary period where the employee is given the opportunity to prove themselves as being competent in lieu of any or all qualifications?

6. Does the potential employee have a proven good history of competence of doing the job in the same or similar environment/industry prior to potential employment in Government?

Alternatively is the requirement reasonably defensible under the equality act. End of. 

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A great shame we don't have MHKs that can hold their own and give out so much clear information.

I don't know David's educational history, but if our top CSs and MHKs could only be half as smart, we would be doing well.:thumbsup:

He might be doing it more eloquently, but he's only firing their bullets and we're the poor bastards who are still getting shot...at an ever increasing rate.

What we need are far more qualified and experienced people who can be arsed about the island enough to replace the vast majority of our elected officials.

...ETA...and big enough brains and cahones to not be dictated to by Civil Servants only marginally more intelligent and wholly self interested in pay and pensions.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

great shame we don't have MHKs that can hold their own and give out so much clear information.

He might be doing it more eloquently, but he's only firing their bullets and we're the poor bastards who are still getting shot...at an ever increasing rate.

What we need are far more qualified and experienced people who can be arsed about the island enough to replace the vast majority of our elected officials.

He is more than "eloquent" though. He was and is very professional and confident. Two things lacking in our MHKs

( I don't know what you mean when you say he is only firing the MHK's bullets )

Just now, dilligaf said:

Because he, like every LA leader over here knows that it is the Gov charges that cause the increased rates.

Not just that...there are too many people in that council...with all too many earning too much. Secretaries on nearly  £40-50k? They have got rid of 30 odd staff last year or so...proves they were running inefficiently all that time. Another 30 need to go...including town centre manager for starters. The LA''s piss money away every year by all doing their own thing on all kinds of services and over-managing and paying well over the odds on maintaining their housing stocks.

Perhaps Albert means that the LAs use Govt transfer of costs from Central Govt as the excuse for rate increase rather than finding savings from their own ( perhaps ) ego driven projects?

Posted after Alberts reply.

The LAs KNOW that these charges are going to come but do not budget for them.

I do disagree with the transfer of traditional Central Govt costs onto LAs.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not just that...there are too many people in that council...with all too many earning too much. Secretaries on nearly  £40-50k? They have got rid of 30 odd staff last year or so...proves they were running inefficiently all that time. Another 30 need to go...including town centre manager for starters. The LA''s piss money away every year by all doing their own thing on all kinds of services and over-managing and paying well over the odds on maintaining their housing stocks.

Sorry, but I don't agree. 

I tried to link tonight's "Agenda" prog but failed. Worth a listen.

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Perhaps Albert means that the LAs use Govt transfer of costs from Central Govt as the excuse for rate increase rather than finding savings from their own ( perhaps ) ego driven projects?

I am a Douglas rate payer and have no problem with what they are doing or how they are doing it.

Listen to that Agenda item. ( on MR )

Archived