£400K to seduce immigrants

craggy_steve

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I dunno, there is so much more to do in London that you'd end up being out a lot more, spending a lot more money. 

Maybe so, but the actual price of stuff food and drink etc have been noticeably cheaper than here whenever I've been down there.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Property must be considerably more expensive in London, surely?

UK Govt employees in the capital used to get something called LWA, London Weighting Allowance because of the higher cost of living in the capital.

Bet their leccy and gas are cheaper though?

We have friends who have not long ago bought a small 3 bed house, end of terrace for £980,000. Their agent thought they did well to buy so cheap.:o

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

We have friends who have not long ago bought a small 3 bed house, end of terrace for £980,000. Their agent thought they did well to buy so cheap.:o

I know what you're saying Dilli, but general day to day costs are lower and that's what I consider the cost of living, the cost of buying is a different story.

13 minutes ago, finlo said:
19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I know what you're saying Dilli, but general day to day costs are lower and that's what I consider the cost of living, the cost of buying is a different story.

I've never lived there so can only rely on friends info, but I know of nothing in London that is cheaper than over here. ( apart from talk )

Just now, dilligaf said:

I've never lived there so can only rely on friends info, but I know of nothing in London that is cheaper than over here. ( apart from talk )

They do have numerous street markets where things are cheaper

13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I've always found eating and drinking out plus getting about much more palatable unless you like to frequent the likes of the Dorchester!

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Let's see what Brexit does to the London property market?

A question based from a neutral perspective in this instance, before it gets flamed.

Agree it’s going to be a rocky ride as the wealth Asians, Russians and others stop buying. Hopefully it will be good for average Londoners though who have been priced out of what has been a global city for the last 20 decades. 

11 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

has been a global city for the last 20 decades. 

Yep. It's been global for at least 200 years. A constantly shifting population. Every new generation making it briefly  their own.

People moaning about prices should move somewhere they can better afford. 

1 minute ago, pongo said:

Yep. It's been global for at least 200 years. A constantly shifting population. Every new generation making it briefly  their own.

People moaning about prices should move somewhere they can better afford. 

But Londoners deserve to be able to buy in London if they were born there. Hopefully Brexit might bring prices down and more can again. That’s all I meant. 

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

But Londoners deserve to be able to buy in London if they were born there.

There would not be enough property for everyone born there to continually buy. Especially given how these days so many chose to live alone. The numbers don't add up. Unless you want people to go back to living in crowded slums.

Traditionally as many move out as move in. Hence the New Towns etc. Relatively few people come from families which have lived in London for more than a few generations. Nobody has a right to live there.

1 minute ago, pongo said:

There would not be enough property for everyone born there to continually buy. Especially given how these days so many chose to live alone. The numbers don't add up. Unless you want people to go back to living in crowded slums.

Traditionally as many move out as move in. Hence the New Towns etc. Relatively few people come from families which have lived in London for more than a few generations. Nobody has a right to live there.

That’s where we disagree then. I’d feel the same if I saw my family being priced out of the IOM. I think people do have a right to maintaining roots in communities they’ve been born into if they want to. 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s where we disagree then. I’d feel the same if I saw my family being priced out of the IOM. I think people do have a right to maintaining roots in communities they’ve been born into if they want to. 

Isn’t that the case now. Youngsters can’t afford to get on the property ladder

3. Isle of Man salaries are 19% than UK salaries.

that is the way it is written on the Locate.im webesite (10 reasons to move here)

so I suppose you can read it either way. But presuming they mean 19% higher, why are we having to spend even more to entice workers to come. 

I noticed a considerable difference when I transferred many years ago, but we had higher allowances (legacy, now gone) really good mortgage interest relief and much lower taxation.

im not sure anyone moving from the North of England would notice any tangible benefit today.

Archived