£400K to seduce immigrants

craggy_steve

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Stop giving Skelly fucking money to spunk up the walls you fools.

Who is going to stop it. They appear to be running riot in there with no visible sign of sensible leadership

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

The Treasury really should step in and put a stop to this stupid move as I don't believe it's fiscally responsible.

Given that the Treasury have handed huge tax breaks to the wealthies in order to attract business,  Yet another hand out? 

When are we going to receive  evidence that Treasury policy is recuperating the huge loss to tax revenues already lost to our wealthies?

17 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Given that the Treasury have handed huge tax breaks to the wealthies in order to attract business,,.............

That's actually just common sense. Wealthy entrepreneurs spend their money on generate more business, generates economic wealth and economic activity, and creates jobs. Government, on the other hand, is parasitic and just sucks money into it like a toilet flush to be spent on more of itself.

10 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

That's actually just common sense. Wealthy entrepreneurs spend their money on generate more business, generates economic wealth and economic activity, and creates jobs. Government, on the other hand, is parasitic and just sucks money into it like a toilet flush to be spent on more of itself.

Given that this piece of Reagan Economics has been rejected by many economic experts.

I would love to see the evidence that this has worked on the Isle of Man and who has benefited.

Not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, Whatnonsence said:

Given that this piece of Reagan Economics has been rejected by many economic experts.

I would love to see the evidence that this has worked on the Isle of Man and who has benefited.

Not holding my breath.

skelly and abbot are working on the numbers for you right now.

28 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Not holding my breath.

I worked at the home/estate of one of those HNWI individuals for a while, he spent a fortune on doing his place up with 3 local companies, our little team of 5 got about 18 months worth of (well paid) work spread over 3 years, he directly employed a guy too, plus he moved a couple of his businesses over here, rented office space and employed around 15 people there, had some kind of deal with a local garage as he was always showing up with different new motors, kids at king bills, had a big yacht moored too, don't think it moved for a couple of years, bought loads of electronics from Colebourns (guy I know there loved him), had a few other things going on too so he was definitely throwing a fair bit of cash about on Island. 

I realise that's only one example, but it got me thinking there might be something in this trickle down lark. Another guy I know knocked a substantial chunk off his mortgage and took some nice holidays after spending a lot of time down at that Ballamann monstrosity. 

Then again, some of the richer people are some of the stingiest. You do a big house gardening spend a day a week and they'll be out nagging about this and that but no cup of tea, little old lady you do a quick grass cut for 20 minutes once a fortnight and she'll be right out with a cuppa - and biscuits. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I worked at the home/estate of one of those HNWI individuals for a while, he spent a fortune on doing his place up with 3 local companies, our little team of 5 got about 18 months worth of (well paid) work spread over 3 years, he directly employed a guy too, plus he moved a couple of his businesses over here, rented office space and employed around 15 people there, had some kind of deal with a local garage as he was always showing up with different new motors, kids at king bills, had a big yacht moored too, don't think it moved for a couple of years, bought loads of electronics from Colebourns (guy I know there loved him), had a few other things going on too so he was definitely throwing a fair bit of cash about on Island. 

I realise that's only one example, but it got me thinking there might be something in this trickle down lark. Another guy I know knocked a substantial chunk off his mortgage and took some nice holidays after spending a lot of time down at that Ballamann monstrosity. 

Then again, some of the richer people are some of the stingiest. You do a big house gardening spend a day a week and they'll be out nagging about this and that but no cup of tea, little old lady you do a quick grass cut for 20 minutes once a fortnight and she'll be right out with a cuppa - and biscuits. 

Not a problem, it is a piece of evidence, why then are we not inundated with this success story from government with actual examples of how trickle down has been working to offset the huge tax advantages given to the wealthies?

Only saying.

I don't think there's a problem finding skilled people who want to come here - but wanting to stay here is a different matter! Recruiting, relocating, and training new people can be costly and hard work and employers are often reluctant to employ people from far-flung corners of the world - who have no real idea of what it is like here - only for them to leave after six months when they find out it's actually not a sun-kissed paradise but a cold, windswept rock. We've interviewed people who have stepped off their flight from Gatwick with no real idea where they are - not a good start despite them saying that it 'looks nice' on the basis of a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport.

I think it's vital that would-be residents really understand what they'd be getting into - and that sites like https://www.locate.im/ are pretty good at that. However, does it really need another £400K? Presumably we want to attract the type of people who have the nous to discover the Island using their own research initiative - and we shouldn't need to bribe them if they're that interested.

Micky

56 minutes ago, MickyBlue said:

I think it's vital that would-be residents really understand what they'd be getting into - and that sites like https://www.locate.im/ are pretty good at that. However, does it really need another £400K? Presumably we want to attract the type of people who have the nous to discover the Island using their own research initiative - and we shouldn't need to bribe them if they're that interested.

I agree that it isn’t hard to recruit people in the IOM or get people to come across. But I’m sorry I dont agree on the locate.im website. It’s clear that locate.im site paints a very sanguine view of the IOM. It’s just marketing bullshit to try to make the IOM look like something it isn’t. As for the recruitment risk that applies everywhere - Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Malta, Cayman etc. it’s just the sad reality is that you can’t avoid the fact that it’s a bit shit here if you’ve been used to living in a first world country and (with the exception of Gibraltar which is an awful crap hole) most of the other jurisdictions vying for the same staff aren’t too bad in terms of infrastructure and lifestyle once you get there. 

i also agree with you that we shouldn’t bribe people to move here either. 

22 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree that it isn’t hard to recruit people in the IOM or get people to come across. But I’m sorry I dont agree on the locate.im website. It’s clear that locate.im site paints a very sanguine view of the IOM. It’s just marketing bullshit to try to make the IOM look like something it isn’t. As for the recruitment risk that applies everywhere - Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Malta, Cayman etc. it’s just the sad reality is that you can’t avoid the fact that it’s a bit shit here if you’ve been used to living in a first world country and (with the exception of Gibraltar which is an awful crap hole) most of the other jurisdictions vying for the same staff aren’t too bad in terms of infrastructure and lifestyle once you get there. 

i also agree with you that we shouldn’t bribe people to move here either. 

FWIW Gib was a nice place when the border was closed, there were no commuters in from Spain, a thriving tourism industry, thriving shipping, modest CSP & Finance sector and of course no e-Anything. 

29 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

FWIW Gib was a nice place when the border was closed, there were no commuters in from Spain, a thriving tourism industry, thriving shipping, modest CSP & Finance sector and of course no e-Anything. 

in amongst the money laundering, organized crime, cigarette and drug smuggling, and outright in your face political corruption etc. 

Archived