£400K to seduce immigrants

craggy_steve

Was last there about 10yrs ago. Purely personal opinion was that much of it was a sun drenched, run down tip although there was a lot of regeneration going on around the harbour at the time, big developments of glass fronted tower blocks. But typical Med. Tatty, dirty, untidy and shabby like nobody was bothered. Which was a shame. But at least their apes aren't all in Government.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

in amongst the money laundering, organized crime, cigarette and drug smuggling, and outright in your face political corruption etc. 

Aside from the cigarette smuggling, that sounds not unlike an island much closer to home.

22 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Most recruitment of skilled IT is done online these days. The jobs are already there. Work permits are no longer required in many cases. Recruitment people already spend thousands to advertise and all people need to do is apply.

Skelly's job is to get the house prices down here, the infrastructure fixed and build up the leisure facilities and night life to attract people to stay here. And get the cost of living down. 

This spend is simply an admission of major failure on that front. Lots of people have come here from abroad and moved elsewhere within a few years, many that have stayed are struggling to afford to live here.

The IOM recruitment model is bolloxed. ...simply because the island is run by spendthrift wankers who don't understand the private sector at all.

Spendthrift? They literally throw our money at daft projects!

21 hours ago, Gizo said:

Can’t be arsed reading the article but why don’t they spend 400k on Manx people to become skilled. 

Quite right - few want a lot more people on the island

Put some genuine thought into developing the economy in more sustainable ways - DfE is teeming with 'talented', highly paid people who should be able to answer the difficult questions

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree that it isn’t hard to recruit people in the IOM or get people to come across. But I’m sorry I dont agree on the locate.im website. It’s clear that locate.im site paints a very sanguine view of the IOM. It’s just marketing bullshit to try to make the IOM look like something it isn’t. As for the recruitment risk that applies everywhere - Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Malta, Cayman etc. it’s just the sad reality is that you can’t avoid the fact that it’s a bit shit here if you’ve been used to living in a first world country and (with the exception of Gibraltar which is an awful crap hole) most of the other jurisdictions vying for the same staff aren’t too bad in terms of infrastructure and lifestyle once you get there. 

i also agree with you that we shouldn’t bribe people to move here either. 

Probably why the tourism advertising doesn't really work either

Largely talentless people chucking our money at stuff that doesn't really work

And these are regarded as successful initiatives in DfE

27 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Quite right - few want a lot more people on the island

Put some genuine thought into developing the economy in more sustainable ways - DfE is teeming with 'talented', highly paid people who should be able to answer the difficult questions

We should be encouraging our own to come back with grants. Not incentivizing others at the same time as removing work permit protections for Manx workers. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, Gizo said:

Can’t be arsed reading the article but why don’t they spend 400k on Manx people to become skilled. 

What used to be called IT tends today to typically want the sort of people who skill themselves up and who keep their own skills current (and who aren't 9-5 clock-watchers). Because they are into it.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

What used to be called IT tends today to typically want the sort of people who skill themselves up and who keep their own skills current (and who aren't 9-5 clock-watchers). Because they are into it.

True, but even techies cannot necessarily afford to buy enterprise-class hardware & software to play with at home. They need access to licensed software and applications, test data, servers, storage, networks etc. in order to experiment and keep themselves up to date. Some of it's much easier now - they can use cloud infrastructure on Azure or AWS etc. at "low" cost, but it's far from a total solution and many employers want to see ready-made with practical experience gained in another company - usual cliche, we'll hire from abroad but want 3 years experience of SQL Server 2019 gained in the IoM CSP sector ... 

Gov't could support all sorts of local employers more* in respect of helping them to keep their workforce skills (not just IT) up to date, promote and subsidise cross-training schemes etc., and that _might_ be a better use of money.

*More because I suspect some support is available and that many employers don't avail themselves of it sufficiently due to the employee downtime whilst in training.

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

3. Isle of Man salaries are 19% than UK salaries.

who knew?

Salaries here are lower than in London and cost of living here is higher than in London. I know the usual know it alls will tell me I'm wrong, blah blah blah, but it's a fact.

13 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Salaries here are lower than in London and cost of living here is higher than in London. I know the usual know it alls will tell me I'm wrong, blah blah blah, but it's a fact.

You are quite correct  (and i have been shot down for this many times) but he cost of living here is in most cases a lot more than in London.

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

You are quite correct  (and i have been shot down for this many times) but he cost of living here is in most cases a lot more than in London.

I dunno, there is so much more to do in London that you'd end up being out a lot more, spending a lot more money. 

Property must be considerably more expensive in London, surely?

UK Govt employees in the capital used to get something called LWA, London Weighting Allowance because of the higher cost of living in the capital.

Bet their leccy and gas are cheaper though?

Archived