Man (Child?) to face rape charges!

Max Power

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-man-faces-historical-child-sex-charges/

This 21 year old was between 10 and 12 when these offences took place, is it right that he should be named?

How can a child procure another child for an act of gross indecency? What is the age of criminal responsibility here if both the perpetrator and the victim were under 12? 

These historical crimes are rubbish I think a time limit of 1 year should be plenty of time for an accusation should be made especially when young men have their lives ruined by being named and shamed before being found guilty.   If the claimant does not consent to being named the accused should not be named either pre trial.  It should be an even playing field.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, according to Section 70 of the 2001 Children and Young Persons Act.  (I think it was even lower at one stage 7?)

It was higher pretty sure it used to be 11 or 12. I recall reading the age limit was lowered around the time of the James bulger killing. Not sure if that was as a direct result of that case or not 

Archived