HORSE TRAMS

Neil Down

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But I have lived here 60+ years and know a damn sight more than you about what goes on Derek

I had a lot of respect for you as a copper and asI told you a while ago , as a parent when your daughter started her career

I do not however believe you know anything about the health service or indeed the wider picture of Manx life.

You have your opinion same as I have mine, but you do not have a handle on how things are here .

Very different to across

We value our heritage and history and most would fight tooth and nail to keep it

Bollocks to the way some would like it. If Manxlife is alien to what you want, you know the answer

Well thanks for that. However, I disagree that I don’t have a perspective. 

I actually think the dismantling of the north western rail lines in the 70’s was a strategic mistake. I also think the Island has some incredible heritage, scenery and locations. There are some early signs of some real new impetus in focus on both the enjoyment of locals, and the benefit of tourists. 

However;

We are dealing with the here and now. The Island is in a dire mess, across all sectors, and in respect of the horse trams, the time had come to draw a line. DBC actually demonstrated more strategic perspective than IOMG in this case. There are limits to the amount of money that can be literally pissed down the drain, and as we are using the health service in our conversation, 300k equates to around four GP’s or ten nurses.

and where did the suggestion that I knew anything about the health service come from? I only worked alongside practitioners daily, and closely for twenty years, and do so daily now. And as for wider Manx life, working in the public sector, seeing first hand how departments ‘work’ and paying my taxes as a resident. Yes, I suppose you are right - clueless!

and as for the boat in the morning quip - probably the biggest indictment of what remains wrong with the place. 

I only offer opinion. I’d be enlightened to hear an expansion of yours some time. 

Im sure we all would.

Derek ,you say you only offer an opinion , not strictly true, 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I disagree.

their absence wouldn’t have made any difference to visitor numbers

that is a statement , without any evidence .

I'm obliged by your opinion and retain my own.:flowers:

10 minutes ago, paswt said:

Derek ,you say you only offer an opinion , not strictly true, 

that is a statement , without any evidence .

I'm obliged by your opinion and retain my own.:flowers:

Precisely. 

Just an opinion. But I’d proffer that people might take a run on them because they are here, rather than come because they are here, if you get my drift.

i totally get the electric and steam trains because they have a massive worldwide following. I’m yet to find out about a special interest group specifically into horse drawn trams, of a scale where you could justify massive investment in infrastructure and running costs.

42 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Well thanks for that. However, I disagree that I don’t have a perspective. 

I actually think the dismantling of the north western rail lines in the 70’s was a strategic mistake. I also think the Island has some incredible heritage, scenery and locations. There are some early signs of some real new impetus in focus on both the enjoyment of locals, and the benefit of tourists. 

However;

We are dealing with the here and now. The Island is in a dire mess, across all sectors, and in respect of the horse trams, the time had come to draw a line. DBC actually demonstrated more strategic perspective than IOMG in this case. There are limits to the amount of money that can be literally pissed down the drain, and as we are using the health service in our conversation, 300k equates to around four GP’s or ten nurses.

and where did the suggestion that I knew anything about the health service come from? I only worked alongside practitioners daily, and closely for twenty years, and do so daily now. And as for wider Manx life, working in the public sector, seeing first hand how departments ‘work’ and paying my taxes as a resident. Yes, I suppose you are right - clueless!

and as for the boat in the morning quip - probably the biggest indictment of what remains wrong with the place. 

I only offer opinion. I’d be enlightened to hear an expansion of yours some time. 

Im sure we all would.

You were on the police for 20 years and the health service for 10 minutes

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

But I have lived here 60+ years and know a damn sight more than you about what goes on Derek

I had a lot of respect for you as a copper and asI told you a while ago , as a parent when your daughter started her career

I do not however believe you know anything about the health service or indeed the wider picture of Manx life.

You have your opinion same as I have mine, but you do not have a handle on how things are here .

Very different to across

We value our heritage and history and most would fight tooth and nail to keep it

Bollocks to the way some would like it. If Manxlife is alien to what you want, you know the answer

Dillii, I know that we have our banter, and to your credit you take it as well as dish it out. I'm sure that we could enjoy a beer sometime.

But may I ask a question of you? 

Do you really, honestly, believe that 'a boat in the morning' is a threat to anybody these days?

Honestly, do you? If so, to whom is it threat exactly?

Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Dillii, I know that we have our banter, and to your credit you take it as well as dish it out. I'm sure that we could enjoy a beer sometime.

But may I ask a question of you? 

Do you really, honestly, believe that 'a boat in the morning' is a threat to anybody these days?

Honestly, do you? If so, to whom is it threat exactly?

Not a threat, just an option 

We have had quite a few incomers trying to make my island like a little England.:flowers:

1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

If the 'option' was taken up (especially in the hospital) - who do you think would be the biggest losers?

Are there many at Noble’s trying to change what we are ? 

I don’t think so tbh, so don’t think your statement applies

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Are there many at Noble’s trying to change what we are ? 

I don’t think so tbh, so don’t think your statement applies

Sir Jonathan Michael's report suggests massive change along the lines of complying with CQC and UK Acts of Parliament. Mental Capacity Act, Dol's, UK policies and procedures, 'Person centered Care' etc.

Should we adopt this (UK) strategy or not? Should the Island improve along the lines he suggests or stay in the 1980's he describes?

He says that there are many in Noble's who would be resistant to change - where are your thoughts on this ?

1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Sir Jonathan Michael's report suggests massive change along the lines of complying with CQC and UK Acts of Parliament. Mental Capacity Act, Dol's, UK policies and procedures, 'Person centered Care' etc.

Should we adopt this (UK) strategy or not? Should the Island improve along the lines he suggests or stay in the 1980's he describes?

I know this is your field, so I am not going any further with it.

Archived