HORSE TRAMS

Neil Down

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well we now have the new massive temporary tent thingy with the tracks extended into the old Summerland carpark to reach it,  before we even get to the new massive tram car garage / stable thingy. I reckon close to £3M by the time the new structure is up. So that they can oversee losing £300K a year from better buildings. You really couldn’t make it up! 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/business/rails-failed-liverpool-tram-scheme-15606876

In March 2015, an advert was placed in Tramways and Urban Transit magazine to sell the rails.

In April 2015, Merseytravel approved the sale of the steel.

• 700 rails were sold to the Isle of Man Government for £200,140
  • £285.91 per rail.

Get rid of the trams. Absolutely horrific waste of money.

And, an accident waiting to happen by placing them in the middle of the road.

14 minutes ago, snowman said:

And, an accident waiting to happen by placing them in the middle of the road.

Which is where they have always been. 

I’m regularly in the Terminus early weekday evenings and weekend lunchtimes. Don’t do evenings. 

5 minutes ago, kevster said:

Which is where they have always been. 

I’m regularly in the Terminus early weekday evenings and weekend lunchtimes. Don’t do evenings. 

Early weekday evenings but don’t do evenings?

1 hour ago, snowman said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/business/rails-failed-liverpool-tram-scheme-15606876

In March 2015, an advert was placed in Tramways and Urban Transit magazine to sell the rails.

In April 2015, Merseytravel approved the sale of the steel.

• 700 rails were sold to the Isle of Man Government for £200,140
  • £285.91 per rail.

Get rid of the trams. Absolutely horrific waste of money.

But that’s just the cost of the rails. Fitting them (twice) is probably nudging £2M, then the new tent to temporarily house the trams £250,000-£350,000 then the new tram shed at about £1.5-2M, then the proposed new stables another £1.5-2M minimum. It’s a fuck load of cost so they can run a service that loses the taxpayer £300K a year. 

Middle of the road figure from above? £6M.

Out of local taxes. To run an antiquity that a local authority (for once) had the sense to offload because of losses to its ratepayers of £400k pa.

Which, since its transfer on the grounds that it could be run more economically by central Govt, has reattained those expense levels. To now be borne by the taxpayer in a time of fiscal worry.

We either have money to burn or we are governed by complete morons. Sorry, horsetram lovers.

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You were on the police for 20 years and the health service for 10 minutes

And worked with them, and social care on an almost daily basis. Police surgeons, ambulance , ED doctors, mental health practitioners  management staff. I’m also a service user, having had major surgery twice in 12 months. I’m also someo who tends to build relationshipS with people who are going to cut holes in me. I also know many staff on a social level. Do you think fellow professionals never talked about the positives and negatives of their respective professions? 

I know enough to know that the ground level do the very best job they can with the hand they are dealt. I also know that the structure of management and overall approach didn’t necessarily make that easy. I dearly hope the govt appoint the right team to get the job done, and quickly. What I do know, is it isn’t going to be cheap. Reading the report I can recognise where some influence has been brought to bear. Those people have tremendous vision, but it will mean the transformation of buildings and infrastructure as well as workforce.

of course, I concede, I could just be making all this up. 

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Just as a genuine matter of interest;

IF the Ramsey/Peel/Douglas line hadn't been ripped up in the early 70s - how much would it be costing in maintenance now? Would it be "washing its face" given the cost of the upkeep of what's left, Douglas to Pt Erin?

It’s a good question. 

With the right strategy and another 20 miles of track, the IOM would have basically been the Island of Sodor. It doesn’t take a marketing genius to work out how to exploit the families tourism market with that one.

and on top of that, grown up enthusiasts would have surely wanted to come to what would certainly have been the largest preserved system in the British Isles.

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Out of local taxes. To run an antiquity that a local authority (for once) had the sense to offload because of losses to its ratepayers of £400k pa.

Which, since its transfer on the grounds that it could be run more economically by central Govt, has reattained those expense levels. To now be borne by the taxpayer in a time of fiscal worry.

We either have money to burn or we are governed by complete morons. Sorry, horsetram lovers.

This is exactly what I have said above. 

Are you Manx? Dill I might accept the point from you if you are!

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well we don't have money to burn and I wouldn't describe them as horsetram lovers !

And still the empires expand. I wonder how we ever got by previously without such a Minister's and Chief Executive's Assistant? It's totally symptomatic of the way this place is run. We can't afford to fix potholes in the roads but we can afford £40k for somebody's new brew-bitch.

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And still the empires expand. I wonder how we ever got by previously without such a Minister's and Chief Executive's Assistant?

Even the police command team get by with one PA between the seven of them- and she is paid a lot less than this

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes probably a middle of the road figure of £6M and this from a department which said it would be able to operate the trams more efficiently and save costs over Douglas Corporation. The DOI is pretty much a joke how it can “save” costs by spending £6M of taxpayers money to upgrade something that has made a substantial loss for the last 20 years and more. It’s almost like it’s a competition to see how much money they can actually lose. 

Archived