Chief minister declares climate emergency

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And sourcing that quantity of root stock will be a challenge. And of course not all trees will take to Manx soil, it's generally very acidic. So the choice will be limited. If I'm not mistaken DEFRA created a deciduous plantation on the Coanrhennie Rd a while back and it's hardly taken at all. Haven't been up that way for some time but last I was there were lots of plastic tree protectors with nothing in them.

The idea's commendable but I reckon it will be a logistical nightmare.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And sourcing that quantity of root stock will be a challenge. And of course not all trees will take to Manx soil, it's generally very acidic. So the choice will be limited. If I'm not mistaken DEFRA created a deciduous plantation on the Coanrhennie Rd a while back and it's hardly taken at all. Haven't been up that way for some time but last I was there were lots of plastic tree protectors with nothing in them.

The idea's commendable but I reckon it will be a logistical nightmare.

Ask somebody about how the Millennium Wood of oaks that the Island's primary school kids planted has fared....

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

How has the Millenium Wood of Oaks fared Non-Believer?

I haven't seen it personally. However I was recently told that it looks a bit sorry on account of unsuitability of location for the oaks, along with the density of planting, many of which have apparently perished. Which was apparently pointed out when it was first proposed.

However it was hearsay and I stand to be corrected. My kids planted trees up there too FWIW.

Just now, Non-Believer said:

I haven't seen it personally. However I was recently told that it looks a bit sorry on account of unsuitability of location for the oaks, along with the density of planting, many of which have apparently perished. Which was apparently pointed out when it was first proposed.

However it was hearsay and I stand to be corrected. My kids planted trees up there too FWIW.

Was up there recently, looks like some of it has taken quite well, but other parts not... no idea which trees thriving, but didn't see many oaks....

Archived