Weekend of Violence

boswellian

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

We have a national emergency with climate change, an increasing knife crime / gun culture, and you are talking about a budget for drones for ( sight seeing ) ?

Bloody hell....where’s the face palm emoji...? 

7 hours ago, piebaps said:

That never happened - ever. Stop making things up

It is true and was in the media at the time. Air Marshall Laurence Jones RAF was Lt Governor at the time. The Island pays the UK for defence and all military services have a requirement to support the civil authorities if requested. RAF Police  or RAF Regt I recall RAF Police were brought in because of their dog handling resources to support the local assets in guarding the prison.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:50 PM, Derek Flint said:

Well before my time,  it I think it’s highly unlikely that there were foreign boots on the ground. 

Mutual aid armed policing is very complex due to the constitutional position.

I recall an armed robbery of the Post Office in Castletown where the assailant used his own licensed shot gun and then went round paying off his debts! I think the Post Office was as near as dammit near to the local police station. Back then the IOM force called in reinforcements from Preston. All the gear was found in the assailant's house..

7 hours ago, piebaps said:

That never happened - ever. Stop making things up

It was a serious time involving wealthy drug business from Scotland. The Island pays the UK for defence. The forces have an obligation to support the civil power if requested. The :Lt Governor then was Air Marshall Laurence Jones RAF etc. He organised what I recall as RAF Police to patrol the prison due to their dog handling resources all in aid of the civil power.

5 hours ago, PmJ said:

Barry the bullshitter strikes again.

No. I worked in the amusement arcades from 1990-1993 and Steven Helwich and his pals were day long regulars. I worked in Funland now last I looked the site of River Island and then there was The Leisure likewise demolished where I worked occasionally There were no jobs for youths back then so they just hung around the arcades and got into trouble. Helwich was one of what we called the "Arcade cowboys"...An unusual experience but it was a job of sorts...

I fully stand to be corrected here but as I recall (25 years ago, where did that go?), didn't it emerge that the individual eventually convicted had been despatched to the Island in the name of settling or "getting even" some outstanding gangland drugs debt or business?

And the unfortunate victim was said to be unconnected but happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I fully stand to be corrected here but as I recall (25 years ago, where did that go?), didn't it emerge that the individual eventually convicted had been despatched to the Island in the name of settling or "getting even" some outstanding gangland drugs debt or business?

And the unfortunate victim was said to be unconnected but happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Yes. Helwich was in the toilets when the rage broke out and the nutter lashed and stabbed. Helwich was in the way. Other than that he was just an arcade cowboy with no job so far as I knew at the time.. Not his fault and he did not deserve it. Bit of an arcade pest but nothing serious and not deserving of what happened to him..

4 hours ago, manxst said:

With knife crime more prevalent (or certainly more reported) and violent assaults also seemingly on the increase, what are people’s views about ALL emergency calls that require Police attendance being dispatched from Douglas (apparently the latest brainwave from the higher echelons of the Constabulary). Police will attend 999 calls from Douglas to locations across the Island, and officers in small teams will be based in outlying areas like now, but only work on ‘community issues’, and only during office hours- they WON’T be able to respond to emergencies, such as last nights stabbing in Peel, as they won’t be present.

time to move to Douglas, if you want police to arrive before you die of a beating / stabbing etc etc, I reckon....

on second thoughts, should this also increase Douglas rates, and lower the outlying rates, due to increase/lack of service....?

Haven't got a problem with it. The issue in Peel yesterday was teenagers, probably had a few to drink and thought, after watching the news across, that it was cool to carry a knife and look hard to his mates. He'll be regretting it this morning.

We're hardly talking about gangs roaming the streets with weapons terrorising the general public and needing armed patrols across the whole island. Isolated incidents always get blown up like this.

55 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

It was a serious time involving wealthy drug business from Scotland. The Island pays the UK for defence. The forces have an obligation to support the civil power if requested. The :Lt Governor then was Air Marshall Laurence Jones RAF etc. He organised what I recall as RAF Police to patrol the prison due to their dog handling resources all in aid of the civil power.

I think Barrie is right ( I know I stand to be flamed).

Hazy, but as I recall when it was established who the murderer's overlords were and his reasons for being on the Island, there were concerns over the level of regular security available at the prison and concerns that an attempt might be made to "spring" him.

Archived