Weekend of Violence

boswellian

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

On the other hand, a lot of actual criminal actions here aren't covered in the press either. For example, why do they never cover the fact that some scumbag keeps going around Onchan scratching cars?

if i owned a car body shop i send my kids out to scratch cars ,  if had a glazing company my kids would have catapults.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gettafa said:

There were at least 5 officers with guns at the Woodville Terrace incident. And one arrest for a toiy gun in Peel.

I make that 5-1 to the police.

erm...except we don't and they are not.

They are.

10 years ago we did t have the social media output we do now. When I started it off, people were astounded how much was going on - which is still comparatively little TBH

4 hours ago, boswellian said:

Thank you for that reassurance,  Derek. Could you also state whether the use of weapons has not increased?

I’ve been gone two years, so can’t actually confirm the position here today. However, what has improved is sending properly equipped cops to jobs, rather than the old “now now son, just hand the uzi/magnum/zombie knife over, there’s a good lad” approach.

We just hear about it quicker and easier nowadays. Instead of waiting to learn all from the Examiner on a Monday or the Manx Star on a Friday.......

1 hour ago, WTF said:

if i owned a car body shop i send my kids out to scratch cars ,  if had a glazing company my kids would have catapults.

I assume you're being rhetorical and not actually a functional sociopath? lol.

'Pissed up blokes in drunken fight' shocker.

Is this really news nowadays? it's a rite of passage in most of the western world and carries on until said blokes decide to grow up. 

Anyone who frequents Quids Inn or is still wandering around at 3am on a weekend can't really have too many complaints if they get involved in a bit of bother.

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

They are.

10 years ago we did t have the social media output we do now. When I started it off, people were astounded how much was going on - which is still comparatively little TBH

I was obliquely referring to likes of 'the Woodville incident'. A squadron of armed police, blue lights up and down Victoria Road including ambulances. It was big, surely.

And hardly a peep.

Next day a couple of confused bobbies manning the cordons which served the purpose of about bugger all, but did kind of say something serious happened. Maybe it had to be done as a show to justify the huge police bill.

I'm not particularly bothered, but it is a but much to suggest that the police are keeping the public - their employers - as to what is going on.

58 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I was obliquely referring to likes of 'the Woodville incident'. A squadron of armed police, blue lights up and down Victoria Road including ambulances. It was big, surely.

And hardly a peep.

Next day a couple of confused bobbies manning the cordons which served the purpose of about bugger all, but did kind of say something serious happened. Maybe it had to be done as a show to justify the huge police bill.

I'm not particularly bothered, but it is a but much to suggest that the police are keeping the public - their employers - as to what is going on.

I dont think anyone at Glencrutchery Towers would disagree that it wasnt best handled.

Similar job up at Head Road a few years ago. And the burglary spate. ( I was off duty for the first and on leave for the latter!l

But Gary is happy how it is, and so it hath been decreed.

I can remember, in the day, when there was a rumble every Saturday night usually in Ramsey when the Pulrose lot ventured down, never any arrests, police ignored them just let them get on with it.   It was basically scum fighting scum and it fizzled out over the years when maturity set in, with some at least.   There was usually a bit of a set to at the traditional Manx weddings just too much strong drink.

3 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Alcohol seems to be the common factor but wasn't 24 hour opening supposed to solve fighting after closing time?

Might have been but pubs had to give notice to the Police(?) of any extraordinary hours and in any case largely ended up tailoring their hours to the availability of most of their customers; which was opening to midnight at weekends and 11pm during the week. 24 hour opening was pretty much a myth.

53 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Might have been but pubs had to give notice to the Police(?) of any extraordinary hours and in any case largely ended up tailoring their hours to the availability of most of their customers; which was opening to midnight at weekends and 11pm during the week. 24 hour opening was pretty much a myth.

Wasn't/isn't it the case that some opening hours were restricted due to finding the staff that would work beyond 'normal pub hours?

Archived