Weekend of Violence

boswellian

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

I was obliquely referring to likes of 'the Woodville incident'. A squadron of armed police, blue lights up and down Victoria Road including ambulances. It was big, surely.

And hardly a peep.

Next day a couple of confused bobbies manning the cordons which served the purpose of about bugger all, but did kind of say something serious happened. Maybe it had to be done as a show to justify the huge police bill.

I'm not particularly bothered, but it is a but much to suggest that the police are keeping the public - their employers - as to what is going on.

But it gives them something to do, they love a little incident. They can get all their toys out at once, PC Schuey can bring all his guns, PC Plod brings all the dogs, another arrives in his Radiation suit another in a Chemical spill suit, every vehicle can attend because Fat Bob down at The Winchester has spilt Shirle’s Green Chartruese..

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Wasn't/isn't it the case that some opening hours were restricted due to finding the staff that would work beyond 'normal pub hours?

That too, undoubtedly.

8 hours ago, Gizo said:

But it gives them something to do, they love a little incident. They can get all their toys out at once, PC Schuey can bring all his guns, PC Plod brings all the dogs, another arrives in his Radiation suit another in a Chemical spill suit, every vehicle can attend because Fat Bob down at The Winchester has spilt Shirle’s Green Chartruese..

There was a great quote, to whom attributed I don’t know;

”For centuries, armies have gone into battle ill-equipped and poorly trained - but that doesn’t mean its right.”

The cops are the same. I oversaw a lot of the most recent modernisation of Armed Policing, and Taser, on the Island. In terms of both training and equipment, the force is now on a par with its UK counterparts. The threat is the threat, whether it arises in Braddan or Bolton. And come the day where mutual aid support is required for a Derrick Bird incident, when it arrives they will recognise the tactics and have equipment compatibility, providing a lot less to worry about in what will be a stressful enough situation. 

Fortunately, so much of policing does turn out to be a “Fat Bob” incident as described above. That doesn’t mean that you should bowl into it without having made a judgement call on the threat and risk as it is initially reported. Send the right people, with the right kit, at the right time, and the incident will be resolved more quickly and safely than it would otherwise have. 

No problem with the police having all the necessary kit. I remember an armed murderer on the loose over here almost thirty years ago, with mostly unarmed coppers chasing him. I think they brought in a firearms unit from across if I recall, but Derek would know the details.

52 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No problem with the police having all the necessary kit. I remember an armed murderer on the loose over here almost thirty years ago, with mostly unarmed coppers chasing him. I think they brought in a firearms unit from across if I recall, but Derek would know the details.

Are you referring to the Stephen Helwich murder?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

. And come the day where mutual aid support is required for a Derrick Bird incident,

Well there will never be a 'Derrick Bird incident' over here.

We don't have any dodgy lawyers and such who do dodgy things with wills, and that.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, I think it was that one.

Happy to bow to Derek's knowledge on this one but from what I can remember, there was a local firearms team involved. I believe something happened that involved removing them and replacing them with a UK based team. Or is that just one of those urban myths that grew and grew

10 hours ago, PmJ said:

Happy to bow to Derek's knowledge on this one but from what I can remember, there was a local firearms team involved. I believe something happened that involved removing them and replacing them with a UK based team. Or is that just one of those urban myths that grew and grew

Well before my time,  it I think it’s highly unlikely that there were foreign boots on the ground. 

Mutual aid armed policing is very complex due to the constitutional position.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

"One in three with registered weapons have criminal record"

From Manx Radio

Oh dear...

There is no “oh dear” about it.

if you apply for a firearms license, you have to declare everything. And then a full PNC check underpins that. So my speeding conviction from 1986 will be in there somewhere. 

And this is the underpinning guidance 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Firearms licensing was on my portfolio for several years. I wouldn’t tolerate mediocrity- it’s the first line of defence in public safety.

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There is no “oh dear” about it.

if you apply for a firearms license, you have to declare everything. And then a full PNC check underpins that. So my speeding conviction from 1986 will be in there somewhere. 

And this is the underpinning guidance 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Firearms licensing was on my portfolio for several years. I wouldn’t tolerate mediocrity- it’s the first line of defence in public safety.

So "Why" then is the question that begs?

Including holders aged 13+...?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Can you clarify what you are asking? I’ll try to answer for you 

Well basically Derek, why are "X" number of people with criminal convictions being granted firearms licences? Or is it considered that those particular convictions do not represent a safety issue in respect of issue of a licence? Genuine questions.

Archived