Roadside cameras to catch road tax dodgers

Amadeus

That is not an ANPR camera.  They should have made a 'camera' out of an old tissue box with sticky back plastic and it would have been more convincing.

A few questions need to be answered.

Why is the data being captured by DoI workerss and not the Police?

How long will the data be kept - number plate, time, location etc?

How secure is the data?

How secure is the collection of data and how is it protected from viewing by people who have no need to view it?  

By data, I mean pictures of the car, possibly it's driver and passenger, location, direction of travel

Just after TT you won't see it again until the FOMS - where the same shit will be paraded on Farcebook to make it look like they are doing something.

Cheap attempt at trying to look like tax payers money is being well spent - when it's still just being pissed up a wall.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

So it is still eventually directed towards road network upkeep....?

No. Its not hypothecated.  It just gets swallowed up in general taxation. aVED

VED and other taxes associated with transport amount to about five times MORE than is spent on the road network over here.

12 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

That is not an ANPR camera.  They should have made a 'camera' out of an old tissue box with sticky back plastic and it would have been more convincing.

A few questions need to be answered.

Why is the data being captured by DoI workerss and not the Police?

How long will the data be kept - number plate, time, location etc?

How secure is the data?

How secure is the collection of data and how is it protected from viewing by people who have no need to view it?  

By data, I mean pictures of the car, possibly it's driver and passenger, location, direction of travel

Just after TT you won't see it again until the FOMS - where the same shit will be paraded on Farcebook to make it look like they are doing something.

Cheap attempt at trying to look like tax payers money is being well spent - when it's still just being pissed up a wall.

They'll be taking pictures of registration numbers.

Then they'll take the pictures back to a bank of 200 civil servants who'll check the numbers out against their boxes and boxes of paper records to make sure that the road tax is up to date. Cos we don't like change here.

All in the name of job justification. Hang the expense or worth.

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

Are you sure?

2 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

.A few questions need to be answered.

1. Why is the data being captured by DoI workerss and not the Police?

2. How long will the data be kept - number plate, time, location etc?

3. How secure is the data?

4. How secure is the collection of data and how is it protected from viewing by people who have no need to view it?  

5. By data, I mean pictures of the car, possibly it's driver and passenger, location, direction of travel

6. Just after TT you won't see it again until the FOMS - where the same shit will be paraded on Farcebook to make it look like they are doing something.

7. Cheap attempt at trying to look like tax payers money is being well spent - when it's still just being pissed up a wall.

1. Who administer Car Tax, VED or Road Tax? DoI.

2. I would hope it was deleted as soon as it was established that the car was taxed, or kept until prosecution/fixed penalty was resolved if not taxed. That would be GDPR compliant.

3. Hopefully as secure as the licensing/vehicle tax data base.

4. It should be automated. So that all that comes up is a letter addressed to the registered keeper with fixed penalty. With no human intervention.

5. These should only be kept and looked at in case of dispute.

6. Why. Are you suggesting it’s to catch English/UK cars? What power does IoM have to access their data base and what powers do IoM Courts have to fine. Anyway UK cars will have passed many APNR cameras to get to the ferry.

7. It’s a trial run to move away from paper tax discs.

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/roadside-cameras-launched-to-catch-road-tax-dodgers/

Not liking the idea of ANPR cameras over here. Privacy comes before making the government's job easier and these things simply assume everyone is guilty unless proven otherwise. How are they going to prevent misuse of the data as has happened elsewhere?

I’d love to see the cost/benefit analysis on this one. 

Probably nudging half a million to catch 10 people driving without a tax disc.  

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Are you sure? Yep - 

1. Who administer Car Tax, VED or Road Tax? DoI. It's a tax, it goes to the Government - so you are robbing the treasury.

2. I would hope it was deleted as soon as it was established that the car was taxed, or kept until prosecution/fixed penalty was resolved if not taxed. That would be GDPR compliant.

You would hope - but what is the official line?

3. Hopefully as secure as the licensing/vehicle tax data base. You would hope - but what is the official line?

4. It should be automated. So that all that comes up is a letter addressed to the registered keeper with fixed penalty. With no human intervention. You would hope - but what is the official line?

5. These should only be kept and looked at in case of dispute. You would hope - but ... oh sod it - you get the general idea

6. Why. Are you suggesting it’s to catch English/UK cars? What power does IoM have to access their data base and what powers do IoM Courts have to fine. Anyway UK cars will have passed many APNR cameras to get to the ferry. It won' catch anything, it's just a ploy to try to remove some people from the roads during the busy TT period.

7. It’s a trial run to move away from paper tax discs. Are you sure?    It'll just be a cash raising camera if they ever have a system here.

My plates still fail to be recorded by ANPR readers in car parks in the UK.  

In the last 3 years I have never paid to park in an ANPR controlled parking area.

6 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

In the last 3 years I have never paid to park in an ANPR controlled parking area.

1. It’ll still go to Treasury.

2. 3. 4. 5. I share your concerns.

6. Why do you say it won’t catch anything?

7. Ditto, and on Runcorn Bridge. But U.K. cameras aren’t set up to detect/read Manx plates, especially with the dashes. Hopefully a system for IoM will be. And private operators don’t appear to be given our details due to Data Protection. The police ANPR recognise Manx Plates for the MIB Insurance database, however.

11 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

What St Paul’s sq Ramsey

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Several ANPR vehicles on this evening's Manannin sailing along with the usual plethora of UK police vehicles.

There’s a revolt now at Amazon from customers as they’re now selling their own developed face recognition system to police forces all over the world. It won’t be long before everything is scanned and logged so that they can extract their pound of flesh from you and/or punish you for any minor transgression you might commit. 

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

The only car parks with ANPR cameras that I've seen are private or privately administrated  car parks such as the case with supermarkets and in any case Manx number plates are probably not on the UK DVLC database.

Archived