Roadside cameras to catch road tax dodgers

Amadeus

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/roadside-cameras-launched-to-catch-road-tax-dodgers/

Not liking the idea of ANPR cameras over here. Privacy comes before making the government's job easier and these things simply assume everyone is guilty unless proven otherwise. How are they going to prevent misuse of the data as has happened elsewhere?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/roadside-cameras-launched-to-catch-road-tax-dodgers/

Not liking the idea of ANPR cameras over here. Privacy comes before making the government's job easier and these things simply assume everyone is guilty unless proven otherwise. How are they going to prevent misuse of the data as has happened elsewhere?

Could say that about anything. Signing up to manx forums you have to put in details. Registering with a doctor you have to give details etc etc. 

Pay your tax and you will be fine.

I know it's been done to death on these boards before but why don't the just SCRAP THE F@CKING TAX IN FAVOUR OF AN UNAVOIDABLE FUEL DUTY? And save all this expense and time and labour.

ETA although they suggest at the bottom of the article that eventually revenue will be used to do away with tax discs. Yeah, after it's contributed to the pensions black hole.

Well I'm all in favour of ANPR technology, fixed, mobile, and in police cars.  It's not just to flag up VED dodgers but more importantly uninsured vehicles and those without a current MOT -  and I'm very much in favour of the annual testing of fitness of vehicles.   

All the arguments against having an MOT do not outweigh the benefits.  Not one.

Virtually every day that I go into Yarmo or Norwich I see at least one vehicle, not always cars , parked with a big yellow notice telling how it had been seized by the police, usually for the driver being uninsured or not having a full license and no supervising driver which means that the vehicle is uninsured and will always be seized.  

No "ifs", no ,"buts", and the driver and any passengers have to make their own way to where they were going with the driver facing a fixed penalty of £300 plus 6 penalty points or going to court and the possibility of an unlimited fine and more.

It also gives the police the opportunity to give the vehicle the once-over.  Some defects result in mandatory penalty points and big time fines for example 4 defective tyres and straightway that's 12 points and if they're really gnarly then £2500 EACH TYRE!.

I like Safety Cameras, ANPR technology, and MOT testing.   They make the roads much safer than they otherwise would be.

7 minutes ago, Gizo said:

It’s not a road tax. 

You're right. It's actually a car/vehicle ownership tax.

Allegedly intended to be directed towards upkeep of the road network.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Not in the UK.  It goes into general taxation and road maintenance etc is paid for from general taxation.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And yet you don't have to tax a car/ vehicle that isn't used on the road?

Can't have anyone getting away with the wrong type of tax dodging can we!?

Interesting that dodging road tax is seen as "socially unacceptable " by Government, but dodging VAT on a private jet is positively encouraged. 

2 minutes ago, Chris C said:

And yet you don't have to tax a car/ vehicle that isn't used on the road?

Any number of anomalies and defects in the system. Without any rationale whatsoever. Now further confused by having the emissions malarkey thrown into the mix. Which obviously has nothing to do with wear and tear on the road.

6 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not in the UK.  It goes into general taxation and road maintenance etc is paid for from general taxation.

So it is still eventually directed towards road network upkeep....?

Archived