Roadside cameras to catch road tax dodgers

Amadeus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rog said:

The only car parks with ANPR cameras that I've seen are private or privately administrated  car parks such as the case with supermarkets and in any case Manx number plates are probably not on the UK DVLC database.

Agree. It’s to stop overstaying your free hour, same at some hotels and motorway services. Manx plates aren’t on either the GB or NI databases.

Im in Spain now. I’ve got an electronic tag for my car that operates toll barriers on Spanish, Portuguese and French motorways plus many pay car parks. Debits to my account. Great when in a right hand drive. Issued by my bank. They’ve negotiated a 10% discount as well. Drive up, it pings, barrier raises,.you don’t have to stop, drive through at 30kph.

1 hour ago, Rog said:

No. Its not hypothecated.  It just gets swallowed up in general taxation. aVED

VED and other taxes associated with transport amount to about five times MORE than is spent on the road network over here.

But we don't have VED over here, that's a UK thing. And where's your source for the other claims?

25 minutes ago, Chris C said:

But we don't have VED over here, that's a UK thing. And where's your source for the other claims?

Just Google it a bit.  It's all there.

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Not sure if there would be a GDPR issue? The DoI hold your data anyway, all they are doing is checking it?

Having ANPR with a data base like the UK DVLC have, or better yet cutting a deal to join in the UK DVLC will be worthwhile if only to address uninsured drivers.  Moreover cutting a deal with the UK DVLC would free up a number of positions in the DoI which would be a good thing in itself.

20 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Tristan Llewellyn Jones won't like his data being collected.

He’s fine...no number plate on his Amish buggy. 

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

What St Paul’s sq Ramsey

and the bottle neck,   this type of ANPR car park has nothing to do with databases elsewhere,  it just photo's your reg number going in  and then when that reg number tries to leave it tells you what you have to pay.  last time i used the bottleneck  it said i had 43 minutes left to leave the car park when i typed in my reg as it is prepay there, the ramsey one tells you what you owe as you pay at the end.  i would guess the bottle neck one tells you to add more money if you pass your paid up time before the barrier will open.???   what happens if you just drive over the kerb at the bottle neck to exit the car park and pay nowt??

Not sure if there would be a GDPR issue? The DoI hold your data anyway, all they are doing is checking it?

Depends what they do with it once collected and how long they hold it after you, say, no longer own the vehicle.

There is a definite GDPR issue and I hear the gov haven't got an unblemished track record on data related transgressions.

Edit: Don't underestimate how such systems can go wrong. When my dad stopped driving I bought his old UK regd. Accord and registered it here. I had quite a few years out of it before moving on to the next £500er and the Honda ended its days at Andreas scrapyard. Over a decade later someone illegally parked a car, allegedly with my dad's old UK registration, in Stockport and then it started.

First the local council there wrote to him threatening all sorts if he didn't pay some crazy sum (hundreds). Dad wasn't too bothered as he had already 'departed to a better place' so they started chasing me here using data likely derived from the DVLA and possibly the Manx vehicle database. 

I know they can sometimes forget to do any thinking when they believe they are right but the venom and threats chasing the perceived debt were vile. There was no way they were giving up despite being furnished with facts I could prove with documentation. I was already guilty in their eyes and they threatened recovery action if I didn't pay. Now I don't know about you but I don't want to appear on 'Can't pay, they'll take it away' so I eventually demanded a description of 'my' car which came back as a different colour Toyota. At that point they gave up with no apology of course.

It's very tempting to fall into the seductive easy-thinking trap of "you have nothing to fear if you've done nothing wrong". Yeah.....:rolleyes: What if this had been a private company instead of the local council?

16 hours ago, Rog said:

Well I'm all in favour of ANPR technology, fixed, mobile, and in police cars.  It's not just to flag up VED dodgers but more importantly uninsured vehicles and those without a current MOT -  and I'm very much in favour of the annual testing of fitness of vehicles.   

All the arguments against having an MOT do not outweigh the benefits.  Not one.

Virtually every day that I go into Yarmo or Norwich I see at least one vehicle, not always cars , parked with a big yellow notice telling how it had been seized by the police, usually for the driver being uninsured or not having a full license and no supervising driver which means that the vehicle is uninsured and will always be seized.  

No "ifs", no ,"buts", and the driver and any passengers have to make their own way to where they were going with the driver facing a fixed penalty of £300 plus 6 penalty points or going to court and the possibility of an unlimited fine and more.

It also gives the police the opportunity to give the vehicle the once-over.  Some defects result in mandatory penalty points and big time fines for example 4 defective tyres and straightway that's 12 points and if they're really gnarly then £2500 EACH TYRE!.

I like Safety Cameras, ANPR technology, and MOT testing.   They make the roads much safer than they otherwise would be.

I couldn’t agree more. 

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. 

Archived