People of Colour

Tishca

Hi there,

My family and I are considering moving to Isle of Man, Douglas. Looks like a wonderful country. But Im a bit worried, because we are a coloured family from Cape Town, SA. How well do coloured foreigners fit in? And hows the work and especially school environment when it comes to race/people of colour? I know this is an odd question to ask in this day and age.

I know there will be some instances, but is it a regular problem?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a white male so not particularly qualified to offer an opinion but I do have family and friends from the south and East Asian communities. 

Overt racism is really rare and most people are welcoming but as racial minorities aren’t particularly common there are subtle issues. 

Friends and family have noticed that some people tend not to join them at school gates etc. Not due to any dislike but to a more subtle barrier about overcoming difference and a false view that there’s a cultural divide that limits common ground which makes it easier to group with the more familiar. 

Appearance can keep a person on the outside even when the atmosphere is generally friendly towards outsiders. 

It is subtle and many would say it isn’t racism but it is based on appearance and cultural assumptions. 

The island is pretty multi cultural considering its size and location but that said it’s pretty white and that occasionally shows. 

Being multiracial and a member of a multiracial family, I would say the island is fairly backward in accepting people of diverse backgrounds. This is largely because most of the island's population is British, not even born here.

You'll actually find most indigenous Manx people, who are now a minority, are very welcoming of people of all backgrounds.

5 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Being multiracial and a member of a multiracial family, I would say the island is fairly backward in accepting people of diverse backgrounds. This is largely because most of the island's population is British, not even born here.

You'll actually find most indigenous Manx people, who are now a minority, are very welcoming of people of all backgrounds.

Funny that you were one of the first to reply then.

Just now, Rushen Spy said:
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Funny that you were one of the first to reply then.

Yeh but my reply is tongue in cheek.

But entering the 100 mtrs trip yourself up race then joining the 200 mtrs tongue in cheek race, does not make you "mixed race"

Let me elaborate:

1. Race does not exist. It has no basis in science. It is a made-up construct.

2. Under the criteria set by the made-up construct, I would be considered multi-racial.

These are not contradictory positions. It is just that (1) is true, and (2) is based on a made-up construct used by other people.

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Let me elaborate:

1. Race does not exist. It has no basis in science. It is a made-up construct.

2. Under the criteria set by the made-up construct, I would be considered multi-racial.

These are not contradictory positions. It is just that (1) is true, and (2) is based on a made-up construct used by other people.

Yes they are.

Archived