Cyclists on Prom walkway

emesde

Decided to walk from Onchan to Douglas along the prom this morning. Wind directly against me took a bit of an effort .

Not so for the Lycra clad warrior heading straight for us from the Douglas direction. I would reckon he was doing between 20 and 30 mph as he quickly approached . As there were quite a lot of people walking  in both directions as he got close he was forced to slow down. I had chance to ask  him to slow down  as there is a 10 mph limit along the whole walkway and  he was just being totally irresponsible .

He didn't take kindly to being told this "as there was no limit and anyway car drivers are the people i should be talking to. and what the  ****   was it to do with me anyway ?"  

I said there was a bye law setting a 10 mph limit and that it is totally irresponsible to ride at 2-3 times the speed limit into vulnerable pedestrians . 

He then said " Oh you're one of those are you" and cycled off at full pelt "

Can the Road safety people department not start telling cycling clubs,schools  and individuals that as well as rights they also have responsibilities on the road .

Can they also make cyclists aware of speed limits on the walkway as part of their multi million pounds improvement scheme. If we are going to have to share common road space ...at least let everyone know what is expected to keep things safe .

Road safety has to be an ongoing proactive development ,and this government have committed to doing something .....lets hope it more than have another consultation.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, emesde said:

Decided to walk from Onchan to Douglas along the prom this morning. Wind directly against me took a bit of an effort .

Not so for the Lycra clad warrior heading straight for us from the Douglas direction. I would reckon he was doing between 20 and 30 mph as he quickly approached . As there were quite a lot of people walking  in both directions as he got close he was forced to slow down. I had chance to ask  him to slow down  as there is a 10 mph limit along the whole walkway and  he was just being totally irresponsible .

He didn't take kindly to being told this "as there was no limit and anyway car drivers are the people i should be talking to. and what the  ****   was it to do with me anyway ?"  

I said there was a bye law setting a 10 mph limit and that it is totally irresponsible to ride at 2-3 times the speed limit into vulnerable pedestrians . 

Can the Road safety people department not start telling cycling clubs,schools  and individuals that as well as rights they also have responsibilities on the road .

Can they also make cyclists aware of speed limits on the walkway as part of their multi million pounds improvement scheme. If we are going to have to share common road space ...at least let everyone know what is expected to keep things safe .

Road safety has to be an ongoing proactive development ,and this government have committed to doing something .....lets hope it more than have another consultation.

And yet it’s fine to have cars on the prom walk way. 

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

And yet it’s fine to have cars on the prom walk way. 

This was nothing to do with cars it was to do with a cyclist riding illegally fast into pedestrians in an area of the walkway where there are no cars .. opposite the Palace hotel.

His attitude was one of. I'm a cyclist and can do what I like, where I like.

The cars on the walkway area in Douglas are legally parked so how does that affect this?

Introduce legislation to require all adult bikes to incorporate a (say) 200 Watt generator and a Li-ion battery that when fully charged must be discharged at electric vehicle recharging docks.

It'd slow the sods down AND help protect the environment.  As a motivation to discharge a charged battery some form of embedded taser in the saddle would work too.

25 minutes ago, emesde said:

This was nothing to do with cars it was to do with a cyclist riding illegally fast into pedestrians in an area of the walkway where there are no cars .. opposite the Palace hotel.

His attitude was one of. I'm a cyclist and can do what I like, where I like.

The cars on the walkway area in Douglas are legally parked so how does that affect this?

Cars shouldn’t be on the prom way full stop. 

1 hour ago, emesde said:

So in reality he was probably doing about 15mph but you added a bit for dramatic effect...

I can assure you that with a strong following wind this cyclist was going in excess of 20  mph. Unless you were the cyclist involved and can prove that you were only riding at 50 % above the legal speed limit which as you well know is 10 mph. 

I wonder how many Lycra-Louts realise the amount of shrinkage to their genitalia a saddle can cause with time. 

Thinking about it it's quite possible that inadequate genitalia is why they enjoy dressing in Lycra.

23 minutes ago, emesde said:

I can assure you that with a strong following wind this cyclist was going in excess of 20  mph. Unless you were the cyclist involved and can prove that you were only riding at 50 % above the legal speed limit which as you well know is 10 mph. 

Cyclists don't have to abide by the speed limit.

Archived