Cyclists on Prom walkway

emesde

17 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

For example, if your pedal or shoe is wet, on a regular pedal you apply pressure and your foot slips off. Suddenly. The cranks spin round, cracks you in the shin, 

This, this is so sore.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Declan said:

I don’t really have a problem with riders doing that had the pavement been clear. 

Riding on a pavement isn’t really a problem if you ride respectfully. 

I blame cycle helmets and fluorescent clothes myself. It makes people think they are sportsmen with special equipment and divorces them from their natural ally - the pedestrian. 

Also if you need to take a shower when you get to work you need to reassess your mode of transport. 

Of course the pavement never is clear, because in urban settings busy roads and pavements go together.  If there had been no one waiting to cross, the lights wouldn't have gone to red.  No one is objecting to cyclists dismounting and pushing their bikes on the pavement (which is what they are supposed to do) just them treating the world as a mountain bike obstacle course and getting annoyed when people won't get out of their way in places where they shouldn't be in the first place.  Except in cases like Strand Street or the Prom which are clearly shared space[1], there should be no reason to ride on the pavement and even there low speed should be the rule.

I think helmets do add to the illusion of invulnerability for too many, though riders with fluorescents (at least the slip-overs) seem on average to be more sedate in my experience - they're probably not fashionable enough.   But your point about showers is one that every discussion about cycling should be reminded of.  It should be treated as a means of transport, not a way to avoid gym fees.

[1]  Or maybe the odd place where the pavement is both wide and low usage.  Like Peel Road where they put in cycle paths in one of the few places it wasn't needed.

Anyone remember the public information film from the sixties telling cyclists to ride single file on country roads? Also coppers would book you for riding a bike with no lights in the dark ,or cycling on the pavement ,the old cycling proficiency test didnt have bikes on pavements.My cycling proficiency badge along with the "happy smile" badge from the dentists, made me a proud kid,if only i had won a "blue peter badge" too.

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Stupid? If you knew me you wouldn't make such a remark! They are not safe on normal roads and they are unnecessary for commuting or leisure cyclists.

Maybe the lady protesteth too much?

I do not and will not resort to calling people names, it's unnecessary and ignorant.

They are safe doc. I have used both and can assure you that once you have bounce off your pedal and ended in an ungainly heap, you too would see the benefit

ok I accept that you guys believe they are a necessity, I don't.

As an aside I have ridden many, many miles on bicycles of many types but mainly straight bars and a comfy saddle and occasionally toe clips but not shoe clips and this experience makes me believe that for me, the old,' rat trap', pedals take some beating, wet or dry. Of course, not for competition.

Sorry guys, I'm no expert but please just do things safely, safe for you and definitely safe for me and mine.

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

ok I accept that you guys believe they are a necessity, I don't.

As an aside I have ridden many, many miles on bicycles of many types but mainly straight bars and a comfy saddle and occasionally toe clips but not shoe clips and this experience makes me believe that for me, the old,' rat trap', pedals take some beating, wet or dry. Of course, not for competition.

Sorry guys, I'm no expert but please just do things safely, safe for you and definitely safe for me and mine.

I like to think I am considerate to all road users. I don’t have a problem waiting at red lights or stopping at junctions. It is the irresponsible few that spoil it (and from what I’ve seen, will continue to do so)

7 pages in and the OP must be wetting themselves soggy.

They post a MF favourite topic thread (Cycle Nazis vs Steering wheel Saints) and then step away.

This thread is like MF bingo gold (Lycra, innocent pedestrians, ban it!!!) and the usual suspects are sqwarking like trained parrots.

You have all been played like a fiddle.  It is obvious that the "event" in the OP never happened.

3 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

7 pages in and the OP must be wetting themselves soggy.

They post a MF favourite topic thread (Cycle Nazis vs Steering wheel Saints) and then step away.

This thread is like MF bingo gold (Lycra, innocent pedestrians, ban it!!!) and the usual suspects are sqwarking like trained parrots.

You have all been played like a fiddle.  It is obvious that the "event" in the OP never happened.

Red rag to a bull. It's just as bad on the brexit thread... :rolleyes:

Archived