Cyclists on Prom walkway

emesde

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't get why cyclists should be allowed to use the prom walkway in any case. They're not allowed to ride on pavements, so what's the difference. There are miles of roads on the Island for them to use so why should they use the walkway where there are young toddlers, mums with prams, pensioners, dog walkers, wheelchair users, etc. It's crazy, but nothing will change until one of the lycra brigade run over and seriously injure a toddler. Then there'll be a massive panic, a major rethink, and signs plastered everywhere. 

There used to be a segregated section clearly marked out for cyclists on the prom. This didn’t work as lots of old biddies refused to move out of the way of even the slowest cyclist. These were removed in the hope of a shared prom. Like everything else on the island, it’s ruined by the small minority of ignorant cyclists. This in turn brings out the brain dead amongst you who then go overboard on the “we hate cyclists” rant. Get over yourselves for heavens sake...

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

Why do they go out in big packs on major artierial routes in rush hour? To be cussed is the only plausible explanation .

It wouldn't be so bad if they observed the rule of the road and rode in single or even double file. It's the three and four abreast completely blocking the lane in respect of passing without encroaching into the opposite lane that's the problem.

Additionally, the running of cycle speed events on open roads. I was nearly hit by a number of competing cyclists as I approached the Give Way sign at the end of the Peel coast road up the hill past Glen Wyllin in Kirk Michael this week. The cyclists were swinging off the TT course at Douglas Rd corner and heading to Peel and such was their speed on the corner they were swinging out into the opposite lane. In the event of a collision or accident who is culpable or pays?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

It wouldn't be so bad if they observed the rule of the road and rode in single or even double file. It's the three and four abreast completely blocking the lane in respect of passing without encroaching into the opposite lane that's the problem.

Additionally, the running of cycle speed events on open roads. I was nearly hit by a number of competing cyclists as I approached the Give Way sign at the end of the Peel coast road up the hill past Glen Wyllin in Kirk Michael this week. The cyclists were swinging off the TT course at Douglas Rd corner and heading to Peel and such was their speed on the corner they were swinging out into the opposite lane. In the event of a collision or accident who is culpable or pays?

Aren’t the cycling events marshalled?

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

There used to be a segregated section clearly marked out for cyclists on the prom. This didn’t work as lots of old biddies refused to move out of the way of even the slowest cyclist. These were removed in the hope of a shared prom. Like everything else on the island, it’s ruined by the small minority of ignorant cyclists. This in turn brings out the brain dead amongst you who then go overboard on the “we hate cyclists” rant. Get over yourselves for heavens sake...

Remarkable that they don’t want cyclists on the prom and get them on the road where they should be and then complain that cyclists are on the road, but they are more than happy to have cars on the prom way. Rather be mown down by a car than a cyclist, must be a kudos thing. Strange. 

Just now, Gizo said:

Remarkable that they don’t want cyclists on the prom and get them on the road where they should be and then complain that cyclists are on the road, but they are more than happy to have cars on the prom way. Rather be mown down by a car than a cyclist, must be a kudos thing. Strange. 

I think once somebody mentions cyclists, what brain cells they have rapidly melt and dribble out of their ears...

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Aren’t the cycling events marshalled?

They were indeed. On this occasion the marshals were about as much use as tits on a fish. Standing at the junction with their hands in their pockets.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They were indeed. On this occasion the marshals were about as much use as tits on a fish. Standing at the junction with their hands in their pockets.

In that case don’t blame the cyclists, blame the marshals

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, the races are fully insured. It's compulsory.

Also, individual riders who cross the white line can be disqualified. Much like every group of humans, some of them are just twats and refuse to obey the rules.

I'm not against cyclists per se, as Iike most of us I rode a bike for years and who could possibly object to people getting fresh air and exercise. It ain't that. It's the attitude of some cyclists that changed over the years and the new aggressive breed of lycra warriors of the road, itching to mix it with other road users and to assert their rights.

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm not against cyclists per se, as Iike most of us I rode a bike for years and who could possibly object to people getting fresh air and exercise. It ain't that. It's the attitude of some cyclists that changed over the years and the new aggressive breed of lycra warriors of the road, itching to mix it with other road users and to assert their rights.

True. And this is what differs between us and the continent? France, Holland, Belgium for instance sees cyclists and pedestrians happily sharing pavements and walkways as commuters. They don't seem to have the aggressive competition culture that the UK and we have in respect of sharing roads and such. You can see it in the design of bikes too, they have less of the mountain bike, racing and BMX culture..it's more "sit up and beg" and baskets on the handlebars sort of thing.

I blame Dot Kelly / Tilbury for all this cycling malarkey.

If she had not been so good to young cyclists and promoting the local sport, people like cavendish would have took up football instead and the roads and walkways would have been safer :thumbsup:

( yes I know it should be " taken", not took )

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

True. And this is what differs between us and the continent? France, Holland, Belgium for instance sees cyclists and pedestrians happily sharing pavements and walkways as commuters. They don't seem to have the aggressive competition culture that the UK and we have in respect of sharing roads and such. You can see it in the design of bikes too, they have less of the mountain bike, racing and BMX culture..it's more "sit up and beg" and baskets on the handlebars sort of thing.

I think the reason for that is rather simple.

The very bike-heavy nation in Europe, Holland, doesn't have any mountains...

I found Amsterdam hard work in that you have no warning of a cyclists' approach. The UK is bringing in legislation that electric vehicles should make a noise to warn others of their presence.

Where bikes can clobber pedestrians I can see a need for the same sensible approach.

Which means it will never get through Tynwald...

Part of the reason that cyclists seem to cause more of a hold up these days is the new rule for passing them . You see it all the time, people are so shit scared of getting too close they sit behind for ages, and when they do finally pass they nearly scrape the kerb at the other side of the road. 

Archived