Cyclists on Prom walkway

emesde

17 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Cyclists don't have to abide by the speed limit.

Surely you are wrong .???  An act was passed when the walkway was made available to cyclists and was publicised at the time . However i think cyclists either do not know there is a limit or choose to disregard it . It is something that the Government or Local authority (Not sure who is responsible) should be making it  better known, as it is downright dangerous having family groups walking  in an area where cyclists  seem to see it as a race track .

See PROMENADE  WALKWAYS ,DOUGLAS (REGULATION OF TRAFFIC )ORDER 2016  

item 5  .  says          no person may use a vehicle on the Walkway except a pedal cycle 

Item 6.                     No pedal cycle may be ridden on the Walkway at a speed exceeding 10 miles per hour 

This was ordered by the Ministry of Infrastructure  July 2016

Kevin Almond .  Highway services 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, MrPB said:

So you are saying that they are totally exempt from the Highway Code and the various road traffic acts? 

When it comes to speed limits yes. There may be by laws out there you'd have to speak to douglas corpy.

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2015/06/can-cyclists-break-the-speed-limit-or-does-the-law-only-apply-to-motorists/

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

That makes me laugh. 

“Wanton and furious cycling” is the closest offence to dangerous driving that a cyclist can be charged with although it can only ever be used when the circumstances of a cycling accident I nvolve someone suffering serious injury or death as a direct result of the cyclist’s actions

So it pretty much reinforces that the lycra louts are above the law .. until they maim or kill someone. No wonder they’re usually such arrogant twats. 

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

I have no issue with cyclists and pedestrians sharing the walkways but Lycra does seem to have a terrible effect on people? Perhaps it is absorbed into the skin and affects the brain mechanism, a bit like Cocaine or Heroin?

lycra is to cyclists what furry dice and wheel arches were to mini owners back in the 80's.

2 hours ago, emesde said:

I can assure you that with a strong following wind this cyclist was going in excess of 20  mph. Unless you were the cyclist involved and can prove that you were only riding at 50 % above the legal speed limit which as you well know is 10 mph. 

About as much as you can prove he was.

2 hours ago, emesde said:

Surely you are wrong .???  An act was passed when the walkway was made available to cyclists and was publicised at the time . However i think cyclists either do not know there is a limit or choose to disregard it . It is something that the Government or Local authority (Not sure who is responsible) should be making it  better known, as it is downright dangerous having family groups walking  in an area where cyclists  seem to see it as a race track .

item 5  .  says          no person may use a vehicle on the Walkway except a pedal cycle 

Item 6.                     No pedal cycle may be ridden on the Walkway at a speed exceeding 10 miles per hour 

Kevin Almond .  Highway services 

No mention of cars etc parking no there...

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Seems the DOI/Police are as useless as ever.

Is there a sign stating the speed limit for bicycles? No. Do other vehicles use the walkway? Yes. Is it clear whether this is law or just a guideline? No. Is it ever enforced? No. Did they claim that removing the bike lane would be fine for everyone? Yes.

Other countries aren't as blase about their traffic laws. Our traffic police are so utterly ineffective. 

If I'm driving along one of our A roads and the car in front of me is doing precisely the speed limit, I assume he's pissed because speeding is a way of life over here.

So, if 10mph is the law on the prom walkway (and it sounds perfectly reasonable to me) then put up some signs and ENFORCE it! And then enforce the speed limit on the road. And then enforce the speed limit and prosecute drunk riding in June.

19 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Seems the DOI/Police are as useless as ever.

Is there a sign stating the speed limit for bicycles? No. Do other vehicles use the walkway? Yes. Is it clear whether this is law or just a guideline? No. Is it ever enforced? No. Did they claim that removing the bike lane would be fine for everyone? Yes.

Other countries aren't as blase about their traffic laws. Our traffic police are so utterly ineffective. 

If I'm driving along one of our A roads and the car in front of me is doing precisely the speed limit, I assume he's pissed because speeding is a way of life over here.

So, if 10mph is the law on the prom walkway (and it sounds perfectly reasonable to me) then put up some signs and ENFORCE it! And then enforce the speed limit on the road. And then enforce the speed limit and prosecute drunk riding in June.

Have to agree with most of that . Total confusion . I understand that the Prom Walkway Regulation is a law .but as you say there are no notices to inform people .

I am never sure whether people are allowed to cycle on pavements or not . It seems to be accepted in places like Strand street and I have witnessed several minor incidents between cyclists and pedestrians . Yet the Manx Highway code says You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement .(Item 64)  There was a lengthy consultation about road safety and promises that all would be made good and clear and safer . .I think our politicians need to actually get serious about road safety .

I also think that cyclists would be much safer if all drivers and passengers of cars /vans etc were taught the "Dutch Reach"   method of exiting a vehicle . It has saved many lives in Europe .the USA and will be put into the UK highway code soon .Mention it on the Island and all you get is a blank look . Hope the link works .

Unfortunately could only find a video for left hand drive cars ,But the principle is the same 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dutch+reach+video&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBIM853IM855&oq=du&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j35i39j0l2.2799j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

6 hours ago, emesde said:

Decided to walk from Onchan to Douglas along the prom this morning. Wind directly against me took a bit of an effort .

Not so for the Lycra clad warrior heading straight for us from the Douglas direction. I would reckon he was doing between 20 and 30 mph as he quickly approached . As there were quite a lot of people walking  in both directions as he got close he was forced to slow down. I had chance to ask  him to slow down  as there is a 10 mph limit along the whole walkway and  he was just being totally irresponsible .

He didn't take kindly to being told this "as there was no limit and anyway car drivers are the people i should be talking to. and what the  ****   was it to do with me anyway ?"  

I said there was a bye law setting a 10 mph limit and that it is totally irresponsible to ride at 2-3 times the speed limit into vulnerable pedestrians . 

He then said " Oh you're one of those are you" and cycled off at full pelt "

Can the Road safety people department not start telling cycling clubs,schools  and individuals that as well as rights they also have responsibilities on the road .

Can they also make cyclists aware of speed limits on the walkway as part of their multi million pounds improvement scheme. If we are going to have to share common road space ...at least let everyone know what is expected to keep things safe .

Road safety has to be an ongoing proactive development ,and this government have committed to doing something .....lets hope it more than have another consultation.

I forgot just how sheltered from the real world this place really is. Bless. There are big signs saying "Share with care" which seems he did as he slowed down by your own admission. And I doubt he did the speed you're saying. Let's just calm down, have an ice cream and look for actual problems to tackle, because this absolutely certainly isn't.

29 minutes ago, emesde said:

Have to agree with most of that . Total confusion . I understand that the Prom Walkway Regulation is a law .but as you say there are no notices to inform people .

I am never sure whether people are allowed to cycle on pavements or not . It seems to be accepted in places like Strand street and I have witnessed several minor incidents between cyclists and pedestrians . Yet the Manx Highway code says You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement .(Item 64)  There was a lengthy consultation about road safety and promises that all would be made good and clear and safer . .I think our politicians need to actually get serious about road safety .

I also think that cyclists would be much safer if all drivers and passengers of cars /vans etc were taught the "Dutch Reach"   method of exiting a vehicle . It has saved many lives in Europe .the USA and will be put into the UK highway code soon .Mention it on the Island and all you get is a blank look . Hope the link works .

Unfortunately could only find a video for left hand drive cars ,But the principle is the same 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dutch+reach+video&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBIM853IM855&oq=du&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j35i39j0l2.2799j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Much better than the Dutch Reach would be the Dutch Cap which cyclists mother's should have been habitually using.  Cyclists should allow room  for other road users including car drivers who pay through the nose.

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

No mention of cars etc parking no there...

Actually if you look at the Promenade Walkway, Douglas (Regulation of Traffic) Order 2016, already cited, it says:

4 Disapplication of this Order
This Order does not apply to —
[...]
(d) vehicles parked in accordance with an authorisation granted for
that purpose by the Department of Infrastructure, provided that
such conditions as may be attached to the authorisation are
complied with.

Immediately before the section about cycles and their speed limit.

I don't get why cyclists should be allowed to use the prom walkway in any case. They're not allowed to ride on pavements, so what's the difference. There are miles of roads on the Island for them to use so why should they use the walkway where there are young toddlers, mums with prams, pensioners, dog walkers, wheelchair users, etc. It's crazy, but nothing will change until one of the lycra brigade run over and seriously injure a toddler. Then there'll be a massive panic, a major rethink, and signs plastered everywhere. 

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't get why cyclists should be allowed to use the prom walkway in any case. They're not allowed to ride on pavements, so what's the difference. There are miles of roads on the Island for them to use so why should they use the walkway where there are young toddlers, mums with prams, pensioners, dog walkers, wheelchair users, etc. It's crazy, but nothing will change until one of the lycra brigade run over and seriously injure a toddler. Then there'll be a massive panic, a major rethink, and signs plastered everywhere. 

Why do they go out in big packs on major artierial routes in rush hour? To be cussed is the only plausible explanation .

Archived