Cyclists on Prom walkway

emesde

2 hours ago, buzz said:

Part of the reason that cyclists seem to cause more of a hold up these days is the new rule for passing them . You see it all the time, people are so shit scared of getting too close they sit behind for ages, and when they do finally pass they nearly scrape the kerb at the other side of the road. 

Hardly cyclists causing that now is it. If motorists can't judge a safe distance when overtaking then maybe driving isn't for them... :flowers:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, buzz said:

Part of the reason that cyclists seem to cause more of a hold up these days is the new rule for passing them . 

What new rule?  The rule about giving cyclists plenty of room when overtaking them has been there since the (GB) Highway Code was introduced in 1931. 

What has changed recently is the police warning they will  increasingly take action against dangerous drivers who flout the rule. Not before time too.

I'm not saying it is the cyclists fault. Or that they shouldn't be given enough room when passing. But you can't deny that people are more scared of passing them now.

And as far as I know its only in the last 2 or 3 years that an actual measurement has been given for passing.

15 minutes ago, buzz said:

I'm not saying it is the cyclists fault. Or that they shouldn't be given enough room when passing. But you can't deny that people are more scared of passing them now.

And as far as I know its only in the last 2 or 3 years that an actual measurement has been given for passing.

The measurement was given due to the number of irresponsible motorists who for whatever reason got as close as they could to a cyclist when passing them. The below has been in the highway code for a good number of years.

212   When passing motorcyclists and pedal cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder, it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

213   Motorcyclists and pedal cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

15 minutes ago, buzz said:

But you can't deny that people are more scared of passing them now.

Agreed*. And that's a good thing

*Though I would have said 'cautious when' rather than 'scared of', but that's getting pedantic. 

Highway Code Rules 66 and 68 make interesting reading too.

Rule 66 - never ride more than two abreast....and you should fit a warning bell.

Rule 68 - you should not ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner.

Hmmmm...

19 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

No bicycle should be allowed any bigger than 11 inch wheels. It's about keeping fit and saving the environment not pretending you are in the tour de France. 

As long as they reduce car engine size to no bigger than 948cc @37bhp... at the same time. it's about getting from A to B safely and not pretending you are Lewis Hamilton...

The cyclists are a fucking menace on the prom walkway.  There is no need for them to be on there. 

My wee offspring is learning to cycle and has no concept of having to go in a straight line on her bike.  There is a good chance of broken bones the speed they go.  

1 hour ago, Merkin said:

The cyclists are a fucking menace on the prom walkway.  There is no need for them to be on there. 

My wee offspring is learning to cycle and has no concept of having to go in a straight line on her bike.  There is a good chance of broken bones the speed they go.  

So why are you teaching him/her to ride on an area you want cyclists banning...

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

So why are you teaching him/her to ride on an area you want cyclists banning...

Erm, she is just five on a tiny little bike with spokey dokeys - not really a 'cyclist'. 

Also, i never said cycling should be banned, but there are a lot of adults who should know better and there is no need for them to be on the walkway going full chat. 

Comprende? 

3 hours ago, Merkin said:

Erm, she is just five on a tiny little bike with spokey dokeys - not really a 'cyclist'. 

Also, i never said cycling should be banned, but there are a lot of adults who should know better and there is no need for them to be on the walkway going full chat. 

Comprende? 

Is what you said, last ten words suggest you do want them banned...

Archived