Cyclists on Prom walkway

emesde

15 hours ago, Last Ten said:

The MAMIL (Middle Aged Men In Lycra) are the worst, they have got so much twats attitude, no wonder anyone likes the arrogant tits riding 3 abreast. For the likes of the cycling associations etc that's the age group they need to engage in with their safety education etc, most kids are doing a great job but these MAMIL are total twats. 

As a very keen cyclist I have to agree with this. It is  a sad state of affairs and one of the reasons I rarely ever ride in a group. One of the issues in my opinion is that some of these guys are uber competitive when they go out and it is all about riding each other off their wheels. As a result they take chances and  ride inconsiderately in order to ensure they aren't "dropped". It really fucks me off.

In contrast I ride predominantly alone and acknowledge every driver who carefully overtakes or gives way to me even if I have priority at the junction or roundabout.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2019 at 10:22 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't get why cyclists should be allowed to use the prom walkway in any case. They're not allowed to ride on pavements, so what's the difference. There are miles of roads on the Island for them to use so why should they use the walkway where there are young toddlers, mums with prams, pensioners, dog walkers, wheelchair users, etc.

Because they want to go from the Sea Terminal Area to the area by the former Summerland. 

It makes sense that the Prom is a shared space, I've certainly cycled and been a pedestrian in European cities where similar paths are shared by cyclists and pedestrians without problem. I'm not sure why it should be different here. The cyclist needs to ride to the conditions and slow down around other people. It's simple to me. 

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

Because they want to go from the Sea Terminal Area to the area by the former Summerland. 

It makes sense that the Prom is a shared space, I've certainly cycled and been a pedestrian in European cities where similar paths are shared by cyclists and pedestrians without problem. I'm not sure why it should be different here. The cyclist needs to ride to the conditions and slow down around other people. It's simple to me. 

If only that would happen Declan.

I was at the traffic lights at the top of Royal Avenue on my bike this morning when an idiot riding a bike squeezed between me and a car just so that he could go through a red light. Driver and I just looked in disbelief

31 minutes ago, Declan said:

The cyclist needs to ride to the conditions and slow down around other people.

Yeah, but they don't do they. They are in the main wannabe Mark Cavendish's.

The easy part to emulate is the arrogance, the cycling skills a little more difficult.

I saw a similar thing on Sunday when a cyclist rode onto the pavement and through people waiting for a pedestrian crossing light to change, rather than wait behind cars as it turned to red.  I think the problem is that cycling has been 'sold' for too long in the UK as a fashionable, sporty activity rather than a useful way to get from A to B.  The result isn't just to enable that sort of idiot[1] to see themselves as 'road warriors' or whatever, but to put off an awful lot of other people who would otherwise benefit from using cycles to get around - especially women, older people, the less well-off.  I also wonder if it biases the way in which spending on cycling infrastructure is prioritised as well.

[1]  We tend to blame MAMILs for this, but in my experience the worst offenders are in their 20s and early 30s.  They are almost universally male though.  I suspect middle-class entitlement may come into it as well.

Just saw the same a few hours ago. The temporary lights just after KM coming North. Lights on red, Two lycra twats swerved in front of us and rode through the road works against the lights, on the pavement. Good job we could stop. We were in  a Land Rover with tri axle trailer and couple of tons on.

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I saw a similar thing on Sunday when a cyclist rode onto the pavement and through people waiting for a pedestrian crossing light to change, rather than wait behind cars as it turned to red.  I think the problem is that cycling has been 'sold' for too long in the UK as a fashionable, sporty activity rather than a useful way to get from A to B.  The result isn't just to enable that sort of idiot[1] to see themselves as 'road warriors' or whatever, but to put off an awful lot of other people who would otherwise benefit from using cycles to get around - especially women, older people, the less well-off.  I also wonder if it biases the way in which spending on cycling infrastructure is prioritised as well.

[1]  We tend to blame MAMILs for this, but in my experience the worst offenders are in their 20s and early 30s.  They are almost universally male though.  I suspect middle-class entitlement may come into it as well.

I don’t really have a problem with riders doing that had the pavement been clear. 

Riding on a pavement isn’t really a problem if you ride respectfully. 

I blame cycle helmets and fluorescent clothes myself. It makes people think they are sportsmen with special equipment and divorces them from their natural ally - the pedestrian. 

Also if you need to take a shower when you get to work you need to reassess your mode of transport. 

51 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

p.s. I think a lot of the not stopping problems are caused by those daft clip on pedals. They don't need those except for competition and to my mind they are very dangerous on ordinary roads.

However, you're 100% wrong. You got this wrong because you're stupid.

"Clipless" pedals are far safer. Every cyclist falls over the first time they use them, after which there is simply no comparison (maybe see if the skiers will go skiing without their ski bindings? It would be funny to watch though)

For example, if your pedal or shoe is wet, on a regular pedal you apply pressure and your foot slips off. Suddenly. The cranks spin round, cracks you in the shin, followed by a good chance of a fall. Even a tiny pothole can cause a rider's foot to leave the pedal causing you to swerve.

Similarly, wearing jeans vs lycra pants might look cooler, but the chance of your bell-bottoms catching in the chain at an awkward moment can also lead to a fall.

Cycling gloves prevent blisters on the palm of your hand. Not pretty. The padding in shorts prevents blisters down below. Even less pretty. 

Proper lycra jackets prevent you sweating when it's sunny but equally repel rain water when it rains. Sometimes it's sunny AND rainy on the same day! Really? Yes, really!

And lycra gear (even the black stuff) has reflective strips sown in, so road users with lights can see you.

Although it might seem that lycra gear is primarily made for twats, by an utterly  bizarre coincidence, it's perfect for....riding a bicycle.

There literally is no other form of clothing in our Galaxy that is better suited to cycling.

And although I may think that motorbike riders look like rejects from a Village People YMCA video who are just looking for the next leather joy-boy party to attend, I'm actually smart enough to realise that the leather, zips and metal inserts are designed for the moment the human body comes into contact with tarmac at 100mph.

And jodpurs?! What the fuck is that shit about? Oh yes, it's perfect for riding a horse. Padded in precisely the right places.

And what about those swimming trunks? And those karate-kid-twats in their white pyjamas! And why can't Usain Bolt put on a nice pair of slacks instead of that awful lycra one-piece?

And ice-skates?! Shoes with blades on the sole? WTF! Unless you're bloody Torvill and Dean, why can't you just slide around on the ice with a herring strapped to each foot?

I am SO OFFENDED by other people wearing exactly the right choice of clothing for their chosen hobby!!!!!!!

But then I was cycling through Port Erin by the chippy yesterday and slowed down to a point of track standing as a car was reversing into a space. However a woman behind in a car thought it relevant to beep the horn at me twice to move on, where to I don’t know, I turned, told her to fuck off and gave her the finger. So there, you cunty car drivers. 

Stupid? If you knew me you wouldn't make such a remark! They are not safe on normal roads and they are unnecessary for commuting or leisure cyclists.

Maybe the lady protesteth too much?

I do not and will not resort to calling people names, it's unnecessary and ignorant.

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I turned, told her to fuck off and gave her the finger. So there, you cunty car drivers. 

Now I knew a vehicle driver, now deceased, who was prosecuted and fined for displaying precisely the same conduct towards a cyclist...

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

I do not and will not resort to calling people names, it's unnecessary and ignorant.

I wasn't calling you names. It was just an observation. 

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Just saw the same a few hours ago. The temporary lights just after KM coming North. Lights on red, Two lycra twats swerved in front of us and rode through the road works against the lights, on the pavement. Good job we could stop. We were in  a Land Rover with tri axle trailer and couple of tons on.

Unnecessary and ignorant.

Archived