Privatise the Airport

piebaps

12 hours ago, Giggleberrys said:

Or maybe....just maybe the IOMG will see an opportunity to bring other airport towers to be run remotely from here to make a few quid. Some of the highlands and islands perhaps

Why would you? If I was an ATC type, I’d rather be attached to a larger operating base than isolated on a rock.

Also, you wouldn’t have the faff of having to go through another, largely meaningless IOM CAA, as it would all be under the UK umbrella

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6. This current situation makes it difficult to establish the true trading position of the Airport and, by implication, makes it hard for management to properly manage costs, which of itself creates a disincentive to improving performance, given the extent to which costs are not within the control of management.

This, as with the sea port, must never happen. Although they can’t be run at a money-no-object pace,they are lifeline service hubs and must reflect that.

they are purely for getting on and off the rock,  not some over-priced boutique enclave

23 hours ago, Max Power said:

I wonder where the revenue to make the 'opportunity' viable to a private concern will be coming from, a subvention perhaps? Or are we looking at a huge increase in travel costs to and from the island?

How will this affect the viability of our rumoured direct flights to New York?

Aren`t we / or, were we not the fifth likeliest nation to go into space travel, space travel from Ronaldsway, or did i miss hear that ?

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You may say that - I couldn't possibly comment.  From context it clearly does relate to some section of staffing and most of the other obvious sections seem to be covered elsewhere.  It does say elsewhere (section 6.28) that the official numbers in management and admin look low compared to other airports, but that is because so many functions are handled centrally (by the Cabinet Office for example) and not then costed out to other Departments - itself an interesting reflection on the general amateurishness and lack of normal accounting practice in government.

There does seem to be some confusion here between the destination of Derek's defecting police officers.  He seems to be saying that they went to the Rescue and Firefighting Services (RFFS - I have no idea if that acronym is significant) which you would expect to require younger officers, but some people are mistaking this for what the report calls 'Airport Port Security:

As far as I can tell this means that in depth research carried out by York Aviation doesn't extend as far as Wikipedia as this appears to be that strange anomaly the Isle of Man Airport Police (whose page has been recently updated) whose possible redundancy has already been discussed here.

The cost`s must have risen recently, as the airport is now open at 5.15am, i think it used to be 6am.

3 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Aren`t we / or, were we not the fifth likeliest nation to go into space travel, space travel from Ronaldsway, or did i miss hear that ?

The fifth most likely nation to go to the Moon I believe. Some may say that our government already has a few Moon men in their ranks! 

18 hours ago, Uhtred said:

So which airline will offer this service, from when, with what frequency and at what cost?

Apparently direct charters in a 757, they have already landed a few I'm told?

20 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The fifth most likely nation to go to the Moon I believe. Some may say that our government already has a few Moon men in their ranks! 

Yes, 757s have operated from Reynoldsway. I’m extremely dubious of the viability of IOM-New York services however.

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Why would you? If I was an ATC type, I’d rather be attached to a larger operating base than isolated on a rock.

Also, you wouldn’t have the faff of having to go through another, largely meaningless IOM CAA, as it would all be under the UK umbrella

That is a very good point in both directions actually. The IOM is its own jurisdiction and separate from the UK CAA so I'm not sure how that would work in regards to covering IOM airport from a UK base. London City is the current poster boy for doing remote tower ops but that has been driven by wanting to flatten the current space occupied by the ATC tower to expand aircraft parking as space is at a massive premium down there. I'm not sure how going for a remote tower to purely reduce costs would be massively beneficial given the amount spent on the facilities here over the last 10 years. Maybe when its at the end of its life then that would be the time to explore it

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

A 747 can land at Ronaldsway i`m told, ( think it needs a lifeboat at the end, just in case )

59 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Yes, 757s have operated from Reynoldsway. I’m extremely dubious of the viability of IOM-New York services however.

The LCY - NY route runs on a 50 seater 737. Light take off, stops in Shannon for refuel and clearing US borders. Walk straight through at JFK.

Can you see us having US clearing here? 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, Derek Flint said:

757 has a colossal performance envelope. Easy fit for here and about the biggwst you might operate.

Old jet now mind

A number of years ago I saw a 757 depart after bringing in the Island Games team. As it was positioning empty to a UK airport, it's take-off weight was minimal (no pax, no bags, hardly any fuel) and the crew obviously had a bit of fun trying to get airborne in the shortest time/distance possible. It took about 10 seconds, from brakes off. 

Archived