Privatise the Airport

piebaps

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Just saw this on the Tynwald Agenda for July.

Buried away in the 161 page SAVE report  http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/20182021/2019-GD-0042.pdf is this gem. They paid nearly £50k to an off Island firm who told them there was money to be saved at the airport. No shit Sherlock!!

Money well spent... Maybe engage some expensive consultants to advise if the boats travel better in the sea.

Gawne and Reynolds announced over 5 years ago that savings of £2M a year could be realised by the privatisation of the airport, IIRC? It went no further. Although it didn't cost £50k to produce. Just the millions that Ms Reynolds has burned down there since she was put in post :lol:

I wonder if anybody has been asked to calculate what savings to the ratepayer could be made by amalgamating and streamlining a myriad of tin pot local authorities?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Gawne and Reynolds announced over 5 years ago that savings of £2M a year could be realised by the privatisation of the airport, IIRC? It went no further. Although it didn't cost £50k to produce. Just the millions that Ms Reynolds has burned down there since she was put in post :lol:

I wonder if anybody has been asked to calculate what savings to the ratepayer could be made by amalgamating and streamlining a myriad of tin pot local authorities?

I don't think it was even privatisation it was merely stopping the spanish practices and paying realistic wages ! but as I said at the time and will say again they couldn't run a bath !!

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Or the equally controversial bears shit in the woods report commissioned from McKinsey 

I remember that...the authors were Pope & Catholic.

30 minutes ago, manxst said:

According to a ‘man in the pub’ it has already been offered to one of the islands wealthier residents, whom has expressed an interest and is prepared to undertake significant expenditure on it.

It would have to be cheap given it’s useless and still not signed off radar system and all the other failings that need more money throwing at them. We’d certainly not see the £80 to £100M that’s been pumped in there by the taxpayer in the last 10 years or anywhere near back. Plus can you imagine some of those idle sods having to work for a demanding HNW employer? The place would be empty in 3 weeks. 

36 minutes ago, manxst said:

According to a ‘man in the pub’ it has already been offered to one of the islands wealthier residents, whom has expressed an interest and is prepared to undertake significant expenditure on it.

It shouldn't need significant expenditure, given what WE have stumped up on it in the last 10. It should already be the Rolls Royce of small regional airports.

If it does need more money spent on it then questions should be asked why and where and why it hasn't been addressed with previous spend.

Including that Godforsaken radar that should have Cretney and Gawne permanently secured to its dish.

And like every other idea that could save money but involve contracting out, Tynwald will find a way of fiddling its way to a decision not to do it on some spurious grounds of losing control. Then they will go on to find ingenious methods of spunking more taxpayer money on it. It is called Politics, i believe.

18 hours ago, piebaps said:

Just saw this on the Tynwald Agenda for July.

Buried away in the 161 page SAVE report  http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/20182021/2019-GD-0042.pdf is this gem. They paid nearly £50k to an off Island firm who told them there was money to be saved at the airport. No shit Sherlock!!

Aye. And another "transformation" project that excludes the most important stakeholder.... the travelling public! (In the same way that the DHSC Transformation project ignores the patient!)

And all set against a background of a zero national transport policy!

Archived