Privatise the Airport

piebaps

In much the same way historically ,as the health service, we have employed so called industry professionals with a dubious track record who are frankly piss poor ! If it were to be taken over, it would be lovely to watch the clear out, when the money being burned actually matters and has an owner !!!

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It would have to be cheap given it’s useless and still not signed off radar system and all the other failings that need more money throwing at them. We’d certainly not see the £80 to £100M that’s been pumped in there by the taxpayer in the last 10 years or anywhere near back. Plus can you imagine some of those idle sods having to work for a demanding HNW employer? The place would be empty in 3 weeks. 

Signed off end of 2018.

As it's allegedly specced up to zillions of pax it could be a bargain!

20 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It would have to be cheap given it’s useless and still not signed off radar system and all the other failings that need more money throwing at them. We’d certainly not see the £80 to £100M that’s been pumped in there by the taxpayer in the last 10 years or anywhere near back. Plus can you imagine some of those idle sods having to work for a demanding HNW employer? The place would be empty in 3 weeks. 

Nationalise the boats and privatise the airport. I don’t think so. 

However the idea of a privatised airport isn’t a bad one. Workers having to work, cost cutting, profits. A streamline timetable of flights. All positives. 

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

Signed off end of 2018.

As it's allegedly specced up to zillions of pax it could be a bargain!

I believe its half signed off, hence no fanfare and hence the old radar system still working !

On 7/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, manxst said:

According to a ‘man in the pub’ it has already been offered to one of the islands wealthier residents, whom has expressed an interest and is prepared to undertake significant expenditure on it.

Peel Ports perchance?

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Peel Ports perchance?

If past history with PP is anything to go by, IoMG will probably pay them to take it.

Especially since they were going to pay for it, or at least part of it (£15M?) when the story first began.

Then they met Phil Gawne.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Especially since they were going to pay for it, or at least part of it (£15M?) when the story first began.

Then they met Phil Gawne.

The Isle of Man.....Where You Can

(that must be the worst strap line ..... ever!)

Interestingly if you read the report, it basically says that ATC and the Fire Service are manned correctly, paid correctly and work well. The main areas of concern are the Aviation Security dept which I think is already being dealt with and also the entire airports overtime bill. Maybe if Easyjet weren't late pretty much everyday then that would sort the overtime too?

51 minutes ago, asitis said:

I believe its half signed off, hence no fanfare and hence the old radar system still working !

According to the Directors Office of the DOI it's fully signed off.

13 minutes ago, Giggleberrys said:

Interestingly if you read the report, it basically says that ATC and the Fire Service are manned correctly, paid correctly and work well. The main areas of concern are the Aviation Security dept which I think is already being dealt with and also the entire airports overtime bill. Maybe if Easyjet weren't late pretty much everyday then that would sort the overtime too?

I think that you will find that ATC & Fire are statutory services with minimum levels of standards, otherwise the airport would not be able open/operate. aviation security is only one area of concern.

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think that you will find that ATC & Fire are statutory services with minimum levels of standards, otherwise the airport would not be able open/operate. aviation security is only one area of concern.

If that is the case then where are the "savings" in privatising the place?

Is it currently operating to the minimum, or just above, standards or un-necessarily high, are there excesses that could be trimmed? Are there still "Spanish" practices?

Archived