Companies closing down

LightBulb

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Then an import tax may be the answer to this imbalance? What do you suggest? 10%, 20%??

There are ongoing attempts by the EU and ENGLAND to tax these online giants at the point of the sale, rather than its headquarters location,  presumably, the Island would get its share of this tax through the 'agreement'?

I'm not just talking about online. It's everything, even in local shops. It all has to be imported to the Island from off-island suppliers and money flows off the Island from its retailers to pay for it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm not just talking about online. It's everything, even in local shops. It all has to be imported to the Island from off-island suppliers and money flows off the Island from its retailers to pay for it.

It's the same the whole world over. It's called trade! 

Sadly the Isle of Man produces next to nothing that isn't made better/cheaper anywhere else. That's why we have such a high trade deficit.

Some people can bang the drum about local produce until they're blue in the face. But local producers will only ever be hobbyists/small time Mickey mouse scale producers. 

We have little to trade. But we're good at fiddling VAT :lol:  And you can (or could) hide your money here.

You might even get some of it back.

16 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I literally do know it for a fact as it's literally recorded and published in the census data.

You're right, by 0.2%.

41,481 locally born from a total of 83,314 as of 2016. 

I don't think that has much effect on where the remainder purchase Lights, TVs and tyres though?

On 7/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Max Power said:

You're right, by 0.2%.

41,481 locally born from a total of 83,314 as of 2016. 

I don't think that has much effect on where the remainder purchase Lights, TVs and tyres though?

How many born locally have parents who were born here locally? Manx people are less than a third of the population and half of them are on their last legs in retirement homes.

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

How does the census define "Manx"? Is it three generations island born on both sides?

12 Fingers and thumbs in Foxdil.

23 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

How many born locally have parents who were born here locally? Manx people are less than a third of the population and half of them are on their last legs in retirement homes.

At least the gene pool has been well stirred over the past 100 or so years.

4 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

How does the census define "Manx"? Is it three generations island born on both sides?

I know you were being a bit sarky, but of course it doesn't define it at all - just gives figures for where people were born.

The actual Census asked three questions:

Q9 Where was this person born?
Isle of Man.......... Northern Ireland........ England .............. Republic of Ireland..... Wales.................. Scotland....................
Elsewhere ...........
If Elsewhere, please specify

Q10 If the person was born in the Isle of Man were any of their parents or grandparents born in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern
Ireland?
Yes ..............................................................
No ...............................................................

Q11 If the person was not born in the Isle of Man were either of their parents born in the Isle of Man?
Yes ..............................................................
No ...............................................................

But you obviously can't work out from that how many people are 'Manx' for even two generations, never mind three.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I know you were being a bit sarky, but of course it doesn't define it at all - just gives figures for where people were born.

The actual Census asked three questions:

But you obviously can't work out from that how many people are 'Manx' for even two generations, never mind three.

I wasn't being sarky at all, its a genuine question. From memory the passport has something in it if you have three generations, or at least I think that's what's in my mate's one.

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I wasn't being sarky at all, its a genuine question. From memory the passport has something in it if you have three generations, or at least I think that's what's in my mate's one.

Sorry, I thought you were teasing Rushen Spy and his frequent (and changing) definitions of what a true Manxie consisted of. 

The passport bit is something that they stamp in to say you don't have automatic right to work in the EU (except the UK) under freedom of movement.  For it to apply you have to be Manx born, but if either (a) any of your parent or grandparents were born in the UK or (b) you have worked for 5 years in the UK, you are exempt. 

I suspect you would also be exempt if a parent/grandparent was born in the rest of the EU as well, though not outside.  But it's clear that there's not vast numbers who qualify - the Manx have always been pretty good at exogamy.  Those questions are meant to work out how many would be affected, but they never get the wording quite right - or release the figures.

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

At least the gene pool has been well stirred over the past 100 or so years.

What do you mean? The Isle of Man's gene pool has always been diverse due to the island's position in European maritime trade.

27 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

What do you mean? The Isle of Man's gene pool has always been diverse due to the island's position in European maritime trade. 

So what you are saying is that the island’s gene pool has been improved by non-manx incomers.

4 minutes ago, Primator said:

So what you are saying is that the island’s gene pool has been improved by non-manx incomers.

No. I said the island's gene pool has always been diverse. To make it even more clear to any retards reading: that means Manx people have always been diverse.

6 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

No. I said the island's gene pool has always been diverse. To make it even more clear to any retards reading: that means Manx people have always been diverse.

Small isolated populations cannot maintain diversity; they always tend to result in a shrinking gene pool and consequential fall in genetic variance.

Archived