Companies closing down

LightBulb

32 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Agree fully. I know a couple of retailers who will match internet prices but still shoppers feel the internet is the wiser choice... until the item breaks down

Any examples?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Any examples?

Waltons - Colebourns - Hintons - Fentons - Marown TV are shops I have used at one time or another and all price match

On 7/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, On The Bus said:

It's the same the whole world over. It's called trade! 

Sadly the Isle of Man produces next to nothing that isn't made better/cheaper anywhere else. That's why we have such a high trade deficit.

Some people can bang the drum about local produce until they're blue in the face. But local producers will only ever be hobbyists/small time Mickey mouse scale producers. 

Sadly the Isle of Man produces next to nothing that isn't made better/cheaper anywhere else.

But what about our Spuds and Herring, Manx Heather, Manx Peat, The TT, Manx Whisky, Fairy Houses, Wallaby`s, Manx Cat, etc, etc ?

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

Sadly the Isle of Man produces next to nothing that isn't made better/cheaper anywhere else.

But what about our Spuds and Herring, Manx Heather, Manx Peat, The TT, Manx Whisky, Fairy Houses, Wallaby`s, Manx Cat, etc, etc ?

You forgot the felt and the world-leading monorail technology. :lol:

2 hours ago, MrPB said:

Colebourns never match the price of anything but Colebourns. 

That’s probably because having you in their shop is tantamount to financial ruin. Take a hint, nobody wants you near them

6 hours ago, Neil Down said:
6 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Any examples?

Waltons - Colebourns - Hintons - Fentons - Marown TV are shops I have used at one time or another and all price match

MTV must have upped their game then.

Years ago when we wanted to get our first "big" tv, I searched the web to choose one and read the spec.

Fancied the 42" Toshiba blar blar, then searched for local retailers of same.

Went the MTV and the tv was on offer at £999.

Drove home and ordered it through Amazon for £699 with a cash back for  £100. So  £599

I agree about Walton's being spot on though. Their prices have been on par with the big retailers online for a good while. Glad they are back again.

48 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

MTV must have upped their game then.

Years ago when we wanted to get our first "big" tv, I searched the web to choose one and read the spec.

Fancied the 42" Toshiba blar blar, then searched for local retailers of same.

Went the MTV and the tv was on offer at £999.

Drove home and ordered it through Amazon for £699 with a cash back for  £100. So  £599

I agree about Walton's being spot on though. Their prices have been on par with the big retailers online for a good while. Glad they are back again.

Probably when that fella Leatherbarrow ran it. Really odd one. Since he left, they really upped their game

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, JessTickle said:

They were only open for a few hours each week so not that surprising

I think our Government are the only organisation who don't recognise the restrictions of a small island and lack of economy of scale !

26 minutes ago, asitis said:

I think our Government are the only organisation who don't recognise the restrictions of a small island and lack of economy of scale !

I've had an account in the Castletown branch for 40yrs or so. I guess the population then was around the 55,k mark. I had to go in there once a week  as opposed to now which is closer to twice a year.  There was certainly demand for 3 full time banks in Castletown back then, so I'm inclined to believe that times have changed rather than economy of scale.

1 minute ago, rodders said:

I've had an account in the Castletown branch for 40yrs or so. I guess the population then was around the 55,k mark. I had to go in there once a week  as opposed to now which is closer to twice a year.  There was certainly demand for 3 full time banks in Castletown back then, so I'm inclined to believe that times have changed rather than economy of scale.

I agree, my observations were in respect of their grandiose schemes which would be more at home in places with many times the populations!

On 7/16/2019 at 5:13 PM, LightBulb said:

No such thing as Manx Whisky- yet.

4 hours ago, rodders said:

I don't even have to visit a branch to pay in a cheque anymore - can do it via an app on my phone. £100 from a cash machine will last me a month due to contactless payment. Payments done via the app. Even telephone calls to the bank are few and far between now. It's sad the branches are closing but there's easier solutions for most of the tasks that they traditionally did. 

Archived