What were the odds on this happening?

rodders

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Well there's no way I'm posting a fecking Chomski quote so I guess this has run its course also.

No problem. I'll do it for you:

I think it only makes sense to seek out and identify structures of authority, hierarchy, and domination in every aspect of life, and to challenge them; unless a justification for them can be given, they are illegitimate, and should be dismantled, to increase the scope of human freedom.

12 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

It's notable that the registered office of Rational has changed to Malta, and the careers page shows many vacancies in Bulgaria, Toronto, and Leeds, but not here.

I regularly check their page for new positions. Almost all of them have been to Malta or elsewhere but not the IOM. The IOM Government should tell this loser company who pay no taxes to go and F themselves. Why should we attract criticism for hosting them when they aren't even genuinely present here in any meaningful way?

Of course you look at the vacancies all the time.

If you think pokerstars are contributing nothing to the IOM treasury coffers you are living in some sort of different world.  

They are huge contributors both directly and indirectly.  So much so that the word around the campfire was that IOM govt had offered to underwrite a flight route to Leeds (where Skybet is baised).

People should be careful what they wish for.  The island NEEDS to increase tax take given the reserves situation.   The only thing staving off personal hikes has been the growth in the eGaming sector and associated tax takes.

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Of course you look at the vacancies all the time.

If you think pokerstars are contributing nothing to the IOM treasury coffers you are living in some sort of different world.  

They are huge contributors both directly and indirectly.  So much so that the word around the campfire was that IOM govt had offered to underwrite a flight route to Leeds (where Skybet is baised).

People should be careful what they wish for.  The island NEEDS to increase tax take given the reserves situation.   The only thing staving off personal hikes has been the growth in the eGaming sector and associated tax takes.

What is the reserves situation then? Mr Skelly (and others) have repeatedly assured the population that we have "billions" in reserves. Genuine question.

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

What is the reserves situation then? Mr Skelly (and others) have repeatedly assured the population that we have "billions" in reserves. Genuine question.

When pushed someone admitted the billions figure was the combined value of the roads, schools, hospitals, Laxey wheel etc.

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

As it happens Moorhouse had a series of questions about the reserves and the way they had changed over the last decade in the September Written Questions (9-11 inc).  As always you need to be careful as to what is and isn't included in the figures.

42 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I would consider reserves to be available cash to meet liabilities if there is a shortfall.  I'm sure the government has plenty of fixed assets but in reality they  cannot really be relied up as available cash flow.

The reserves being eaten up supporting the pensions issue was or is scheduled to run out in around 4 maybe 5 years time?  So surely the first port of call would be personal tax rate rises.  I think this has only really been delayed because the expansion of egaming and the associated revenues that is bringing the economy has provided some of growth needed to bridge the current annual deficit.

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Reserves in whatever form don't belong to the government, it's the tax payers. 

But....but....but...theoretically it's not actually taxpayer's money...

Must be true, 'twas quoted by one of our Great and Good...

Given the lack of motivation to tackle the real excesses in whatever area one can think of, it's just another belter for the IoM's political annals.

9 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Actually a huge amount of them are tied up in the NI Fund (is that still about £850M?) which virtually everyone has paid into over the years and is there to pay their state pensions. 

Until that gets plundered for the "greater good"

Archived