What were the odds on this happening?

rodders

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/26/2019 at 5:45 PM, Max Power said:

I think they are Gizo, they were wanting to consolidate their HQ to house everyone under one roof I believe.

Sort of makes sense now with this mornings announcement. Slimming down as part of the process of being acquired. But the IOM operations become a very small part of a massive listed company now. 

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Not really helpful or hopeful for this island I’m afraid. Can only see more job redundancies on the island, and business relocating to other EU countries. 

+1

Paddypower used to have a footprint here, but moved to Malta in 2016. Reasonable to expect TSG sports betting activity based in IoM to be consolidated elsewhere.

It's strange that the original announcement of a limited number of job losses provoked seven pages of comment here, but the latest news about the acquisition by Flutter, which is likely to have more far reaching implications, has garnered less than a handful of mentions. This really could be a game changer.

3 hours ago, woolley said:

It's strange that the original announcement of a limited number of job losses provoked seven pages of comment here, but the latest news about the acquisition by Flutter, which is likely to have more far reaching implications, has garnered less than a handful of mentions. This really could be a game changer.

It may be big news, but it's just one foreign company reducing its IoM footprint for internal reasons. Doesn't of itself really carry much implication for the rest of the e-gaming sector - which faces many threats. I don't think we can really regard this merger, important though it is, as being a canary for the death knell of the rest of the sector; it's more to do with the positive US market ambitions of both companies. 

Perhaps more significant is the feedback from the recent gambling industry conference http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51130 - seeing Garth Kimber admitting to "confusion" is concerning, but as I have said many, many times, business models which depend upon regulatory advantage are inherently vulnerable - which is why the IoM should concentrate on building its footprint in those sectors where it can compete internationally on a level playing field. Gambling and Tax Mitigation sectors are both bad bets for the long term.

Archived