"Investment opportunity" (buy-to-let, or buy-to-sell-higher)

Rushen Spy

Why does a local estate agent keep advertising homes as an investment opportunity.

This is exactly why the Isle of Man has a housing problem: people buying HOUSES to be an INVESTMENT instead of people buying a HOUSE to be a HOME.

This is also exactly why the Isle of Man is seeing a year on year increase in cost of living, massively inflated and delusional house prices, and disenfranchisement of many young people from ever being able to own their own homes, as these cretins are pushing up the prices and making it non-affordable for the ordinary man and woman.

This is why the Isle of Man is not a desirable place to live and why so many young people do not return after university (assuming you can afford to get there).

It is also why the Isle of Man has a problem encouraging people to come and live and work here from across.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Why does a local estate agent keep advertising homes as an investment opportunity?

This is exactly why the Isle of Man has a housing problem: people buying HOUSES to be an INVESTMENT instead of people buying a HOUSE to be a HOME.

This is also exactly why the Isle of Man is seeing a year on year increase in cost of living, massively inflated and delusional house prices, and disenfranchisement of many young people from ever being able to own their own homes, as these cretins are pushing up the prices and making it non-affordable for the ordinary man and woman.

Has been thus for thirty years!

5 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Why does a local estate agent keep advertising homes as an investment opportunity.

This is why the Isle of Man is not a desirable place to live and why so many young people do not return after university (assuming you can afford to get there).

It is also why the Isle of Man has a problem encouraging people to come and live and work here from across.

Same everywhere, not just on the rock.

14 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Same everywhere, not just on the rock.

Obviously, but as a smaller economy, it is more pronounced and harmful, especially a small economy with an inability (due to lack of legislation and regulation) to extricate itself from encroachment by persons and corporate entities coming from larger economies. We need to have safeguards in place.

Other small islands have made laws and regulations to help their local populations in some way against outside persons and businesses from buying up properties, but on the Isle of Man it's literally a free for all.

There need a regulatory framework to protect the island's actual local society. I am not happy that the current administration, having done a lot of good in so many other areas, appears to have done literally nothing in this area.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Except to benifit from it?

That's true. I've been in the right positions to now know the entire ins and outs of all Tynwald members' economic activities.

Fortunately for them, and unlike most of them, I have these strange things called integrity and professionalism so I would never disclose anything.

43 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

That's true. I've been in the right positions to now know the entire ins and outs of all Tynwald members' economic activities.

Fortunately for them, and unlike most of them, I have these strange things called integrity and professionalism so I would never disclose anything.

So what else can you tell us Rob...

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Properties are generally advertised as investment opportunities because they have or have had tenants.

Archived