Isle of Man Festival of Motoring

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I wish it was 250 - 300 rally cars coming over here. Shameful the way the best, or second best, ( Irish) rally in Europe was killed off.

Trouble with cars is, they have too many wheels. All our bunch of amateur MHKs see is the worshipped TT.  What the f*** will they do when that goes ?

Probably don't get free champers in a tent from the rally lot!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Would that be a problem, if so why?

No I wouldn't mind but I don't travel back and forth to Ramsey . But the  point really I'm making there's been no mention at the announcement of this happening but wouldn't mind betting it's been promised . Will be interested to see . If it has and its sprung on last minutes it's naughty .

15 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

What's the betting TT mountain circuit will be made available to these guys

It's a road. Let's stop calling it a circuit or, worse, a course. It's for getting from A - B and back again.

If people want to drive fast there are plenty of motorways in Germany. Also Silverstone and Brands most weekends.

It's the open roads which are cool.

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

No I wouldn't mind but I don't travel back and forth to Ramsey . But the  point really I'm making there's been no mention at the announcement of this happening but wouldn't mind betting it's been promised . Will be interested to see . If it has and its sprung on last minutes it's naughty .

Any road closing would probably be restricted to a couple of hours during non peak periods, that's the usual thing with these sort of events. 

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:
18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

t's the betting TT mountain circuit will be made available to these guys ! No mention of it but woukdnt surprise me 

Would that be a problem, if so why?

It would be a problem Max. I would not want to see more road closures pissing people off. The rallies cause far less of a problem than shutting the TT course YET AGAIN.

Do you not see that more and more people are pissed off with the amount of days the "course" is shut during TT and what should be the MGP ?

It used to be 3 days for the TT "races" and 2 days for the MGP.

Last few years it seems like every effing day the roads were closed.

That is what is knocking the nails into the TT coffin.

When public support has gone, so has the "racing".

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

It would be a problem Max. I would not want to see more road closures pissing people off. The rallies cause far less of a problem than shutting the TT course YET AGAIN.

Do you not see that more and more people are pissed off with the amount of days the "course" is shut during TT and what should be the MGP ?

It used to be 3 days for the TT "races" and 2 days for the MGP.

Last few years it seems like every effing day the roads are closed.

That is was is knocking the nails into the TT coffin.

When public support has gone, so has the "racing".

They are very unlikely to close the whole course, that only happens for the TT and CTT/MGP. Probably only the Mountain for a couple of hours.  

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They are very unlikely to close the whole course, that only happens for the TT and CTT/MGP. Probably only the Mountain for a couple of hours.  

But why ?

Closed roads are for racing, not parades ( apart from carnivals etc.) These cars are not race prepared, they cant be scrutineered or even marshalled. The drivers will not likely have competition licenses either.

I am all for them coming here and having a blast, but that has to fit in with what people expect regarding getting about. 

The sloc is little used in general, so closing that would not be such a big issue.

I hope all 300 come here and have a great time, but it can't be to the detriment of Jo Public every time.

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

But why ?

Closed roads are for racing, not parades ( apart from carnivals etc.) These cars are not race prepared, they cant be scrutineered or even marshalled. The drivers will not likely have competition licenses either.

I am all for them coming here and having a blast, but that has to fit in with what people expect regarding getting about. 

The sloc is little used in general, so closing that would not be such a big issue.

I hope all 300 come here and have a great time, but it can't be to the detriment of Jo Public every time.

Having a blast one way is a lot safer than just doing it in an uncontrolled manner Dilli, they can be scrutineered and marshalled. I went on an event in Sicily on their Targa Florio circuit, longer and twistier than the TT course, run by a leading sportscar manufacturer, a new car launch which went on for over a month with various countries dealers attending. We were encouraged to drive fast on open roads and the locals were out in force cheering us, the police turned a blind eye. There were a few accidents over the period, a couple of cars totalled. I never managed to translate the local papers or social media but I got the impression that the thing was well received.   

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Having a blast one way is a lot safer than just doing it in an uncontrolled manner Dilli, they can be scrutineered and marshalled. I went on an event in Sicily on their Targa Florio circuit, longer and twistier than the TT course, run by Porsche, a new car launch which went on for over a month with various countries dealers attending. We were encouraged to drive fast on open roads and the locals were out in force cheering us, the police turned a blind eye. There were a few accidents over the period, a couple of cars totalled. I never managed to translate the local papers or social media but I got the impression that the thing was well received.   

On a par with the natives then, who watch the cars in the Paris Dakar

Horseless chariots Tonto!!!

As Numnuts says, there could still be changes to the itinerary, as Max says, it would be for a few hours during the day.

However, if you want to go north or south over the mountain and not through Laxey, that is still an inconvenience for non-commuter travellers?

It would just be another nail in the coffin................

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

But why ?

It can be done. The Highways Act provides for it.

Supertour closures were designed to MSA Yearbook Standards, and we carried £30m of public liability insurance. Marshaled, medic cover, safety officer, clerk of course, rescue vehicle. All there. We had approval for the mountain road, but ran it on the sloc for year 1. When we went back for year 2 and the Mountain Road, along with BAC Mono, the DOI had changed their mind! We were told it was “High Risk” even though we were showing distinctly to the contrary in our inch thick set of manuals, compiled by an incredibly competent, qualified and experienced safety officer. 

The Audi closure was then permitted, with a max speed limit of 90mph. I queried who had chosen 90mph and why, and if that was the safest top speed for a non race qualified driver on that route, on a marshalles one way system, how did they reconcile (a) derestiction on the TT one way and (b) derestriction in normal 2 way traffic. 

Unsurprisingly, I didn’t get an answer,

And that folks, is how the story ended. It is what it is. Another shining example of the biggest issue I have with Government - it is a web of contradictions.

Until someone convinced me otherwise, this was personal.

Archived