Isle of Man Festival of Motoring

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It can be done. The Highways Act provides for it.

Supertour closures were designed to MSA Yearbook Standards, and we carried £30m of public liability insurance. Marshaled, medic cover, safety officer, clerk of course, rescue vehicle. All there. We had approval for the mountain road, but ran it on the sloc for year 1. When we went back for year 2 and the Mountain Road, along with BAC Mono, the DOI had changed their mind! We were told it was “High Risk” even though we were showing distinctly to the contrary in our inch thick set of manuals, compiled by an incredibly competent, qualified and experienced safety officer. 

The Audi closure was then permitted, with a max speed limit of 90mph. I queried who had chosen 90mph and why, and if that was the safest top speed for a non race qualified driver on that route, on a marshalles one way system, how did they reconcile (a) derestiction on the TT one way and (b) derestriction in normal 2 way traffic. 

Unsurprisingly, I didn’t get an answer,

And that folks, is how the story ended. It is what it is. Another shining example of the biggest issue I have with Government - it is a web of contradictions.

Until someone convinced me otherwise, this was personal.

It's very similar to how the TT course car speed restrictions were arrived at. Qualified drivers on closed roads restricted to speeds which wouldn't even get them a speeding ticket with two way traffic on open roads! Well, Derek, the 'expert' has spoken, and we all know who it is.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I posted on page 1 #4, this will not be a motor racing event on closed public roads.  As a point of interest, the last true road race was run in the 1950's.  The splendid Willaston Races of the 1990's were in fact run under pursuit sprint regulations by the MMRC.

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Willaston was a great event. Its a real pity that the circuit wasnt upgraded whilst all the work was being done. 

Unlikely to ever be resurrected now. Real shame.

It was Derek, a real pity that a bit of foresight wasn't used. It could have been used for a lot of things, including a replacement for the Jurby Festival RIP. 

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

It was Derek, a real pity that a bit of foresight wasn't used. It could have been used for a lot of things, including a replacement for the Jurby Festival RIP. 

Same, in a way, with the Jurby road races. Heavy handed

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately I just don't think they understand what makes our island tick, all they see are problems and the solutions are just too much trouble to those who want to maintain their easy way of life. It's always easy to say no!!! 

Absolutely Max. Nail on head

I am in no way a TT hater, as all our motor sports events are only possible because of the TT and the ability to close public roads for events. That is for both cars and bikes.

Unfortunately, all the Gov. sees is the TT. That will not last for ever, but all the offshoots can. Why the f*** cant they see past their noses. So many great events killed off for no sane reason at all.

I hate seeing my island sinking because of idiots on mega bucks.

All the Govt sees in the TT is the only large udder that can be milked to pay its actuarial commitments. There is no sentiment, no regard to history (except where it can contribute to said commitments) and no respect for the voluntary contributions that people have made over the years to establish the events.

It's like flies converging on to an attractive turd. All for their own benefit.

The Willaston events were run by the team who transferred to Goodwood and eventually lead to the Goodwood Revival.  Same Clerk of the Course (John Felix) and many of the same cars and drivers.

If only the IOM Government had put a bit more into it, who knows?

I thought you might enjoy a picture of the first Manx Classic programme cover from 1989, the name under which the most recent Willaston events ran.  The title continues to be employed, but the event now comprises three hill climbs and is a damp squib compared to the use of the full blooded 'round the town' circuit.

It was pulled when the Foot and Mouth epidemic provided an excuse to interrupt the series, but in reality I think it was widely feared there would be a fatality.  There were a number of very near misses over the years.  As speeds, particularly among the Camaros, Tigers and the E-types were rising, the decision not to revive it was inevitable.

The illustration by Peter Hearsy shows Geoff Duke rounding Parkfield corner, a 90 degree right with steep camber and an iron drain cover waiting to snag the unwary!

IMG_20191111_0001 (2).jpg

Archived