Isle of Man Festival of Motoring

This is a new Government led iniative coming into the Autumn of next year. It seems very vague and wishy washy and seems to be piggy backing past ideas by other people.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/hundreds-signed-up-to-inaugural-motor-festival/

is it motor racing? Static Displays? Prestige Marques? Road Closures? Hill Climbs? And above all, what about the all important insurance issue which caused the Festival of Jurby organisers to throw in the towel?

There is a classic/historic car rally held every year before TT, is this still going ahead?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will not be motor racing.  It will be a boat full of 'classic' car enthusiasts  attracted by the promoter's irresponsible marketing which invites them to enjoy the island's many miles of unrestricted roads at high speed.  Beware of untrained amateur drivers who will think they are Fangio or Moss, over-revving their unprepared engines and cornering on used tyres without regard to the safety of others or themselves.  Red mist rules the day. Can't wait.

I sincerely hope they recruit sufficiently suitably trained marshals and medical crews.  If they are going to unleash this event on us, they need to close the road sections in use.  Above all, ensure cars are professionally scrutineered and that drivers and passengers sign on and are comprehensively insured against medical costs.

(Anyone spot the Voice of Experience here?)

1 hour ago, war baby said:

It will not be motor racing.  It will be a boat full of 'classic' car enthusiasts  attracted by the promoter's irresponsible marketing which invites them to enjoy the island's many miles of unrestricted roads at high speed.  Beware of untrained amateur drivers who will think they are Fangio or Moss, over-revving their unprepared engines and cornering on used tyres without regard to the safety of others or themselves.  Red mist rules the day. Can't wait.

I sincerely hope they recruit sufficiently suitably trained marshals and medical crews.  If they are going to unleash this event on us, they need to close the road sections in use.  Above all, ensure cars are professionally scrutineered and that drivers and passengers sign on and are comprehensively insured against medical costs.

Boring git.

Irrespective of whether you like this sort of thing or not, it seems a shame that such an event can apparently only be organised by outside interests - which is presumably where the largest slice of profit will end up. So the local population who are providing / maintaining the core attraction of such an event are not seeing the full potential in return. 

3 hours ago, maynragh said:

Irrespective of whether you like this sort of thing or not, it seems a shame that such an event can apparently only be organised by outside interests - which is presumably where the largest slice of profit will end up. So the local population who are providing / maintaining the core attraction of such an event are not seeing the full potential in return. 

The Festival of Jurby was a good event which was eventually fcuked up by Government. It didn’t require road closures and could handle large amounts of motorcycles.

I can see the Starship Enterprise are involved in this event, so it may be alright to begin with, but it will go downhill after that, with political interference, civil service ‘we know best’ interference and followed up by elf n safety. 

In some respects, I can see the Starship Enterprise politicos and civil servants tongues hanging out of their mouths and salivating at the mere mention of the word motorsports or motoring. They seem to roll out the red carpet for this type of tourism and ignore anyone else that comes to the island on a regular basis / after all they are still regarded as tourists/visitors.

Still the Ben my Chree and the Manannan could give us all a laugh, if the ceiling collapses on top of ‘super cars’ or something isn’t quite strapped down enough on a rough crossing, as happened this September. 

13 hours ago, 2112 said:

The Festival of Jurby was a good event which was eventually fcuked up by Government. It didn’t require road closures and could handle large amounts of motorcycles.

I can see the Starship Enterprise are involved in this event, so it may be alright to begin with, but it will go downhill after that, with political interference, civil service ‘we know best’ interference and followed up by elf n safety. 

In some respects, I can see the Starship Enterprise politicos and civil servants tongues hanging out of their mouths and salivating at the mere mention of the word motorsports or motoring. They seem to roll out the red carpet for this type of tourism and ignore anyone else that comes to the island on a regular basis / after all they are still regarded as tourists/visitors.

Still the Ben my Chree and the Manannan could give us all a laugh, if the ceiling collapses on top of ‘super cars’ or something isn’t quite strapped down enough on a rough crossing, as happened this September. 

Silly boy

These folk organised the successful MX 5 visit this year. Its just a development of that. Should be good and attract a.wide range of car types.

I don't think Govt.has a finger in it, and Its not clear if there are any proper road closures. If there aren't any there isn't a need for them to be.

23 hours ago, war baby said:

I don't see this as being anything other than a festival of motoring. If speed events are included then they will need to have sufficient coverage. As far as speed limits, there's not many miles of unrestricted road left is there? 

Otherwise, let's just shut up shop completely, put our feet up and await death.

:P

Ah come on Max, cheer up,  there's more to life than motor racing! The F1 GPs are the only TV i'm interested in but I'm reduced to the Ch 4 recorded highlights!!!! I just drink till late Sunday night. Have you tried that to overcome your depression???

For this type of event, I'd stop and watch them go by or pull up where they are parked for a glimpse of the machinery. You can tell they are about from the 'MOSS' carrier bags they carry!!!For the most part, these events seem to by un noticed, you see the cars in a caravan and think, ''Oh, there must be something on? ''. This event at least, has advance publicity.

Good on them

PS. Derek Flint is being quite gracious about this with his attempt being so stymied.Have another go Derek.

23 minutes ago, Kopek said:

:P

Ah come on Max, cheer up,  there's more to life than motor racing! The F1 GPs are the only TV i'm interested in but I'm reduced to the Ch 4 recorded highlights!!!! I just drink till late Sunday night. Have you tried that to overcome your depression???

For this type of event, I'd stop and watch them go by or pull up where they are parked for a glimpse of the machinery. You can tell they are about from the 'MOSS' carrier bags they carry!!!For the most part, these events seem to by un noticed, you see the cars in a caravan and think, ''Oh, there must be something on? ''. This event at least, has advance publicity.

Good on them

PS. Derek Flint is being quite gracious about this with his attempt being so stymied.Have another go Derek.

Ours was in a different price bracket due to the levels of insurance and safety cover we were providing. Perhaps a bit ahead of our time. Or perhaps the IOM wasn’t ready for us?

The S9 Supercar visit just before TT is probably the nearest we will get for the foreseeable. The bonus is it is a tight group who all know each other and you can police standards - and with myself and another local chap there is a strong local input. The Porsche visits work similarly well.

hey, we tried! Anyone that has a go gets my vote!

3 hours ago, Max Power said:
On 11/5/2019 at 6:56 PM, war baby said:

I don't see this as being anything other than a festival of motoring. If speed events are included then they will need to have sufficient coverage. As far as speed limits, there's not many miles of unrestricted road left is there? 

Otherwise, let's just shut up shop completely, put our feet up and await death.

I wish it was 250 - 300 rally cars coming over here. Shameful the way the best, or second best, ( Irish may be better) rally in Europe was killed off.

Trouble with cars is, they have too many wheels. All our bunch of amateur MHKs see is the worshipped TT.  What the f*** will they do when that goes ?

Archived