Cutting unemployment would improve healthcare service and fund fight against climate change

gettafa

Have to agree with Chris Thomas with regard work helping health . It definitely does but a lot depends on what the issue is why someone isn't able to work. I have first hand experience because of long term illness my health due to many reasons declined . It helped massively when I managed to sign on to permitted work and this helped my mental state massively along with having a few more pounds put towards my weekly/ monthly bills. Also your self esteem is raised greatly. Not saying it works for everyone but for sure lots . Also it's always lost in narrative as everything considered fraud of benefits is not even close to tax avoidance ! 

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 12:00 PM, Non-Believer said:

Cutting unemployment will only be achieved by a) executing the unemployed or b) by managing the economy in a fashion that promotes growth and the creation of jobs (n.b. as in private sector jobs not tax-payer-funded job creation for mates and empires in the civil service and government)

Mr Thomas and Co. aren't doing either at the moment. I predict another rise in the unemployment figures for November too and possibly coming months as well. Things are starting to bite.

Unemployment figures up again today too. I must be fecking psychic. Not.

One or two people I know say that Govt bodies have been winding in the Govt contracts for regular contractors too and there's been lay offs because of it.

It's gone up by 28, though a small increase is usual in January due to season jobs ending (it went up by 14 last January).  It's to first time it's gone over 400 (to 404) for 21 months, but it's been consistently above 300, which probably about the minimum because of people moving between jobs.  114 left the register but 142 joined.  There may be a slight upward trend, but it's difficult to tell at the moment.

Just been reading the iomtoday article, to include the comments. Contributor "Sarah" claims that vacancies advertised by agencies are omitted from the vacancies figures to avoid duplication. WTF?

MOST of the jobs on the Govt's Enterprise website are offered by agencies. If you discount them there's very little left, certainly not the 800-odd vacancies they claim for last month.  Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Just been reading the iomtoday article, to include the comments. Contributor "Sarah" claims that vacancies advertised by agencies are omitted from the vacancies figures to avoid duplication. WTF?

MOST of the jobs on the Govt's Enterprise website are offered by agencies. If you discount them there's very little left, certainly not the 800-odd vacancies they claim for last month.  Or am I missing something?

IOMTODAY is not a very good yardstick...

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Your missing nothing but mass statistical manipulation by our politicos to suit their own ends. If unemployment rises they tell you the amount of jobs/vacancies, the same goes if there is a fall in unemployment. You are right though most of vacancies are duplicated and tripled, which confuses people, or is advertised by an agency.

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Your missing nothing but mass statistical manipulation by our politicos to suit their own ends. If unemployment rises they tell you the amount of jobs/vacancies, the same goes if there is a fall in unemployment. You are right though most of vacancies are duplicated and tripled, which confuses people, or is advertised by an agency.

Quite.

They push back on the unemployment figures by quoting the availble vacancies and ignoring the simple fact that those unemployed are probably totally unsuited to the work available.

Nothing to see here. Move along please. Nothing....

13 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

IOMTODAY is not a very good yardstick...

I got the impression that "Sarah" must be a Govt employee (and DED at that) to make such a statement..?

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I got the impression that "Sarah" must be a Govt employee (and DED at that) to make such a statement..?

I can’t imagine she’s right. If you go on to the job Centre site pretty much all of the jobs that are advertised are contactable via an agency (except the countless government jobs that are still advertised ignoring headcount caps). 

https://services.gov.im/job-search/

Archived