Nobles Hospital

Patient centred

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Both looked unlikely to me as well.  Most of the other stuff I found related to the second as well (he's also in his 60s so unlikely to want to leave what looks like a busy life for a short-term appointment).  The other guy doesn't have much experience.  I just expected to find something more online.

Oh dear.....

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Patient centred said:

That’s why I would like to know who is on the interview panels. 
it’s got to be above medical director and CEO as these keep changing. 

I sense that there is an over-reliance on a 'hero' here - who may turn out to be anything but.  The following is pieced together from a number of conversations, and although I can't be certain that everything is spot on, it all has a ring of truth.

Jonathan Michael was appointed personally by Alf Cannan (presumably rubber stamped by CoMin).  There were no other candidates, no due diligence process and no interview.  After a year of deep thinking, he proposed that the 2012 Lansley reforms (which many observers in England say were a waste of time and money) would be ideal for the Isle of Man.  There was almost no mention of social care, because Michael was a hospital consultant during his medical career.  Whatever your views of Couch and Morris's work at the DHSC, at this point they walk.  Tynwald then shouts 'hurrah' unanimously, and Jonny is a hero.

Transformation of the DHSC cannot be left with the DHSC, so a new team (most of Michael's old team) will be in the Cabinet Office, headed by a new director.

Without any transparency at all, Michael stays on the payroll and gets closely involved in building the new teams needed to deliver his vision.  I suspect that he was closely involved in the hiring of the part-time CEO and the transformation guy; and I'm pretty sure that he was part of the interviewing panel for the new medical director (a London GP??).

Ashford, Cannan and the rest have fallen into the classic trap.  The new recipe product is so much better than the old one.  Or, marry in haste, repent at leisure.

At the beginning of this year, the DHSC did have a direction and the self-interest groups were being tackled.  It had budget problems without doubt, but not many European health systems don't.  It now seems sunk in despair and chaos.  This will be the legacy of this administration, and its hero.

1 minute ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I sense that there is an over-reliance on a 'hero' here - who may turn out to be anything but.  The following is pieced together from a number of conversations, and although I can't be certain that everything is spot on, it all has a ring of truth.

Jonathan Michael was appointed personally by Alf Cannan (presumably rubber stamped by CoMin).  There were no other candidates, no due diligence process and no interview.  After a year of deep thinking, he proposed that the 2012 Lansley reforms (which many observers in England say were a waste of time and money) would be ideal for the Isle of Man.  There was almost no mention of social care, because Michael was a hospital consultant during his medical career.  Whatever your views of Couch and Morris's work at the DHSC, at this point they walk.  Tynwald then shouts 'hurrah' unanimously, and Jonny is a hero.

Transformation of the DHSC cannot be left with the DHSC, so a new team (most of Michael's old team) will be in the Cabinet Office, headed by a new director.

Without any transparency at all, Michael stays on the payroll and gets closely involved in building the new teams needed to deliver his vision.  I suspect that he was closely involved in the hiring of the part-time CEO and the transformation guy; and I'm pretty sure that he was part of the interviewing panel for the new medical director (a London GP??).

Ashford, Cannan and the rest have fallen into the classic trap.  The new recipe product is so much better than the old one.  Or, marry in haste, repent at leisure.

At the beginning of this year, the DHSC did have a direction and the self-interest groups were being tackled.  It had budget problems without doubt, but not many European health systems don't.  It now seems sunk in despair and chaos.  This will be the legacy of this administration, and its hero.

If your ring of truth truly rings true - and I’m not disputing it - that’s all very disturbing. And those to be held accountable are not, for once, the management of the health service, but the politicians who oversaw/approved these events.

As John Spicer, based on your observations, is part of a Michaels cohort, do you know why he’s now leaving so soon after appointment...if indeed he is departing, which as yet appears unproven.

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

John has a Very discrete LinkedIn profile, but he is on there.

Does his secret profile (I don’t do LinkedIn, but I thought that’d be the opposite of its point) say anything about leaving his transformation role here?

44 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I think that there is a lot of truth in that. I am no fan of the Michael's report either. When, on the few occasions I had meetings / communications with Malcolm Couch I found him be on the ball, businesslike, and batting very much for the hospital but he may not have been everyone's cup of tea - you can't please all the people...

I think that you will find that the new MD Desig. is management committee type these days rather than just a hands-on GP. 

Whatever it is that is going on within that little circle just above the CEO/MD level, it is certainly doing the hospital no good. There is considerable management talent amongst the senior medical staff already here, but many of them have seen the way recent management have been treated and therefore just keep their heads down and stick with the day job. All very sad.

It is a bespoke situation that needs a bespoke solution not a UK NHS copy. You call that a 'Hero' - I would call it a 'Leader'. I think that somebody who the staff could actually witness standing up to that little cabal just above the senior management level would do wonders for morale up there. Others may disagree.

47 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

And those to be held accountable are not, for once, the management of the health service, but the politicians who oversaw/approved these events.

Absolutely. That is exactly the problem. From the chief minister in his tenure at health onwards. 
Everyone in the UK is quite clear that the Lansley reforms were a disaster for patient care. David Cameron admitted he had no idea what Lansley was proposing but just waved it through. 

24 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Whatever it is that is going on within that little circle just above the CEO/MD level, it is certainly doing the hospital no good.

There is only one person who sits on both the Transformation Political Board and the Transformation Board itself that knows almost everything there is to know about how IOM Public Services work.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Does his secret profile (I don’t do LinkedIn, but I thought that’d be the opposite of its point) say anything about leaving his transformation role here?

Funnily enough, it doesn't even mention the Isle of Man. In fact, I think it might even be a bit more purged than when I first looked at it. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Having just read the Terms of Reference for Clinical/Professional Transformation Panel, it's interesting that there's no patient representative on the Panel, not even as an observer. That's worrying.

Patient rep? Why would they EVER agree to that. It’s probably not even crossed their mind. 

you are absolutely right. No outside or proper independent scrutiny. No transparency. Just people they know. Most appointments are pre-determined in health. Many are not widely externally advertised. I know of a fantastic clinician who applied for this panel and didn’t even get a reply. 

As another poster pointed out, there is a lot of internal talent. They aren’t picked because they know where to shine the uncomfortable light. 

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

There is only one person who sits on both the Transformation Political Board and the Transformation Board itself that knows almost everything there is to know about how IOM Public Services work.

...and that person is..?

Archived