The Golden Sausage Awards

Grounds Keeper Willy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

A couple of poached eggs set on an avocado crush nestled on a slightly toasted slice or two of sourdough (maybe with some slices of smoked Salmon) is THE breakfast to have these days.

The cafe on the main road in Laxey does a really nice avocado on toast breakfast. I was talking about this to a friend this morning in terms of price and he was moaning about the cost of the fireman’s breakfast at the Railway Station but it seems that for £9.50 there you get tea or Coffee & Toast, Bacon, Manx Butcher’s Sausage, Egg (Scrambled or Fried), Baked Beans, Grilled Tomato, Hash Brown, Potato Cake, Fried Bread, Mushrooms and a Black Pudding.

That’s still expensive but for another £1.45 you could drive all the way to the Sound I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

The cafe on the main road in Laxey does a really nice avocado on toast breakfast. I was talking about this to a friend this morning in terms of price and he was moaning about the cost of the fireman’s breakfast at the Railway Station but it seems that for £9.50 there you get tea or Coffee & Toast, Bacon, Manx Butcher’s Sausage, Egg (Scrambled or Fried), Baked Beans, Grilled Tomato, Hash Brown, Potato Cake, Fried Bread, Mushrooms and a Black Pudding.

That’s still expensive but for another £1.45 you could drive all the way to the Sound I suppose. 

I just cannot contemplate avocado on toast as a food experience

7 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I just cannot contemplate avocado on toast as a food experience

It’s ok but I’ve only had it once or twice to try it with bacon and salmon but in Laxey they do a good one. It’s the latest pretentious food stuff I think that people seem to want to eat to say they’ve eaten it. They’re naturally quite high in fat and calories too so it’s not like they’re that healthy. 

39 minutes ago, pongo said:

Perquisites for me are Noa bread or equivalent, smoked salmon, free range eggs and fresh ground coffee. If I ask for that I'm there will I get asked to leave?

Not everyday obviously.

And open at 7am.

14 minutes ago, pongo said:

There is nothing pretentious about choice - and that's what this is about. It's also basic capitalism: The right to choose to pay for what one likes - rather than being expected to like it and lump it somewhere else out of some kind of stupid reverse-snobbery.

The trouble is that the Venn diagram overlap between 'People who regularly eat breakfast in a cafe at 7 am' and 'People who want and can afford smoked salmon for breakfast' isn't remotely big enough to support a business in Douglas (or possibly many places).  Even most of those around then and able to afford will probably be too busy working on time-critical stuff (which is why they are in work at that time) to take a regular break.

The Venn diagram overlap between people who praise capitalism and those who don't understand it is much bigger however.  Because the purpose of capitalism isn't to provide choice - it's to maximise the return on capital (the hint's in the name).  Far from providing more choice this is best done by restricting it, because providing choice costs money.  Only the possibility of losing business disproportionately to competitors will force more choice, but even then attempts to restrict competition (either by elimination or cartel) will be preferred to providing it.

Of course people are perfectly capable of understanding this.  They just don't think it should apply to them.  

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

the Venn diagram overlap between 'People who regularly eat breakfast in a cafe at 7 am' and 'People who want and can afford smoked salmon for breakfast' isn't remotely big enough to support a business in Douglas (or possibly many places). 

Smoked salmon is no more expensive than bacon. Cheap smoked salmon is about the same price as cheap bacon. Decent smoked salmon is about the same price as decent bacon.

It's not some kind of modern affectation. If anything smoked salmon for breakfast takes us back to the 80s. It's a perfectly normal breakfast choice in many cafes these days.

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

It’'s not some kind of modern affectation. If anything smoked salmon for breakfast takes us back to the 80s. It's a perfectly normal breakfast choice in many cafes these days.

You mean to the days of the yuppies and upward social mobility? You’re probably right with that time mark as it is a bit pretentious to be doing all the time and I would agree with some of the comments above in relation to the pretentiousness of some of the artisan style places. If you want to eat in places like that fine but really your not paying for the food you’re paying for the surroundings and to interface with the type of people you might bump into there. Little else. The only other cafe in the competition charging the same as this one seems to be some hipster biker cafe in Shoreditch which is one of the most expensive places to eat out in London (which is unsurprising). It just shows you what a rip off the IOM is in comparison. 

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

Smoked salmon is no more expensive than bacon. Cheap smoked salmon is about the same price as cheap bacon. Decent smoked salmon is about the same price as decent bacon.

Next.

Tesco smoked salmon 120g for £3.50 (£2.92 per 100g)

Tesco bacon 300g for £1.95 (£0.65p per 100g)

(It's not even their cheapest bacon)

Next

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Tesco smoked salmon 120g for £3.50 (£2.92 per 100g)

Tesco bacon 300g for £1.75 (£58p per 100g)

(It's not even their cheapest bacon)

Pedantic exact examples excluded, it's about the same price for a bit. Roughly. Close enough. Also - you have much less by weight.

Most cheap food places pile far too much food on the plate anyhow.

12 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

If you want to eat in places like that fine but really your not paying for the food you’re paying for the surroundings and to interface with the type of people you might bump into there. Little else. 

I disagree. I like businesses which make an effort. The idea that people go to a cafe to be seen is silly. Or to "interface" . This is not Manhattan.

I'm too nice to call out some of the awful cafes I've tried in Douglas. The awful being the food.

Archived