The Golden Sausage Awards

Grounds Keeper Willy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two ways to produce a breakfast, one, you pre cook everything and just warm it up, microwave it, to serve, or,, you can produce everything, prime cooked to order, this has to allow the Chef time to do all the ingredients required for the 'Full' etc.

Their time in producing to order has to be paid for, hence the price!

Even in the pre prepared case, there are the extra staff required to serve an unusual amount of customers in a very short period of time, would you travel to the sound to do a  hour for ten quid?

You can do at home, what we can do,for a third of the cost!!! If you are not prepared to do it for your selfs, you have to pay our prices !

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That means most people on the island then.

That's the way it's going though...all under this overwhelming dogma that we are a wealth-ridden society at all levels. There's statistics to prove it you know....

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Quite frankly some of the breakfast prices in various 'trendy' establishments on this island are bloody bordering on criminal. Do they ever stop to think that they may get more people onboard if they had a reasonable pricing policy? 

They probably wouldn't though.  Most people don't really want a full cooked breakfast most days.  We'll take it in an hotel if it's included or we might occasionally cook up some sort of brunch at the weekend catering for all our own particular tastes, but otherwise it's going to be a rare and unusual thing and probably replacing lunch (which we wouldn't blink at paying £11 for).  So they're not going to get more custom by reducing the price.

It costs well over £9.00 for a IOM Steam Packet Breakfast on either the Ben or Manannan, excluding toast and hot drinks. Still IOMG will be wanting the bikers to have loads of breakfasts, think of the islands share of lovely VAT we will get to fritter away. At one time the portions were huge, now the plates have gone smaller and less is put on.

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

Quite frankly some of the breakfast prices in various 'trendy' establishments on this island are bloody bordering on criminal. Do they ever stop to think that they may get more people onboard if they had a reasonable pricing policy? 

It's difficult to find anywhere open for breakfast. Most places seem to open around 8-30 at the earliest. And even later at the weekend.

I'd love to find a good cafe doing breakfast and decent coffee which is open at say 7.

Within reason cost is not the issue.

1 minute ago, pongo said:

It's difficult to find anywhere open for breakfast. Most places seem to open around 8-30 at the earliest. And even later at the weekend.

I'd love to find a good cafe doing breakfast and decent coffee which is open at say 7.

Within reason cost is not the issue.

cafe down by the old bus station in douglas?  not sure on quality but it is edible.

9 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I know the article doesn't mention the government but I can't help but think they're involved somehow. This has the Cabinet Orifice's "MO" written all over it.

The £11 will be to make a contribution to the no doubt sizeable rent charged by government agency/charity MNH & a modicum of profit

Using fresh & mostly local produce will make the price a little higher no doubt

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

You’re right but as some have pointed out the costs are rather at odds with what is happening in the economy but people still seem to be spending. I won’t go to Noa for the same reason either. Used to love it when it was in the crappy old Osborne’s shop with the rickety furniture and crap music. Now it’s a cycling metrosexual wanker paradise I wouldn’t go near the place which saves me a fortune when it’s £6 for a sausage bap. You save a fortune walking back up the road and going to the Caff. But then again you aren’t “seen” there by anyone but a load of toothless old ladies which seems to be the only point of going to some of these places - so that people can assume you’re worth a few quid as you’re seen eating and drinking in there. 

I’m slightly confused by most of the comments and the direction this forum is taking, this was a ‘competition’ by a major, if not THE major motor cycle magazine in the UK,  they decided that the Sound was a worthy contender and they themselves nominated them, it had nothing to do with the Sound. How many of the contributors to this forum are bikers and have actually been to the Sound over TT week ?  The area is full of very happy bikers who make the Sound their destination of choice. Bikers like to go to somewhere where they can meet likeminded people, relax, talk bikes and generally enjoy what the Island has to offer. Yes you can get cheaper, bigger, better value breakfasts at other venues on the Island but that’s not the objective of this competition. Last points - I don’t think the cafe ‘adjust’ their prices or level of service for TT week and I should imagine that the rent they pay is considerably more than other locations mentioned in this forum. 

6 minutes ago, Supamanx said:

I’m slightly confused by most of the comments and the direction this forum is taking, this was a ‘competition’ by a major, if not THE major motor cycle magazine in the UK,  they decided that the Sound was a worthy contender and they themselves nominated them, it had nothing to do with the Sound.

Sorry aren't other posters allowed to have a view which is contrary to yours? Why would the direction of a forum thread be of so much concern to you? People seem to be posting what they think not what their entry into some nonsense big sausage competition seems to want to portray. 

Archived