The Golden Sausage Awards

Grounds Keeper Willy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

It sort of goes in the face of all the negative stats though doesn’t it? We’re clearly all wealthy enough to spend £3 on fuel driving down to The Sound to spend £11 on brekkie. A pub lunch and a few pints in the George on the way back is probably another £50 at H & B prices if you really want to push the boat out. 

Is the inflation here that bad? It was only £2 for fuel yesterday!

18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Sorry aren't other posters allowed to have a view which is contrary to yours? 

Don't see where they said that...?

24 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

a cycling metrosexual wanker paradise 

... but this is a phrase that I will be stealing for future use, cheers!

24 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The caff on lord street does the best breakfast in my opinion

It does the one round the corner by the Co-op is pretty good as well (can’t remember the name). 

13 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Don't see where they said that...?

It was sort of inferred by the opening tone of the post.

You’re more than welcome to steal that phrase though. I’ve heard it a few times now. 

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

They probably wouldn't though.  Most people don't really want a full cooked breakfast most days.  We'll take it in an hotel if it's included or we might occasionally cook up some sort of brunch at the weekend catering for all our own particular tastes, but otherwise it's going to be a rare and unusual thing and probably replacing lunch (which we wouldn't blink at paying £11 for).  So they're not going to get more custom by reducing the price.

A couple of poached eggs set on an avocado crush nestled on a slightly toasted slice or two of sourdough (maybe with some slices of smoked Salmon) is THE breakfast to have these days.

5 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

A couple of poached eggs set on an avocado crush nestled on a slightly toasted slice or two of sourdough (maybe with some slices of smoked Salmon) is THE breakfast to have these days.

Your spot on, had this myself many times in places across the water, rather than a full breakfast. 

4 hours ago, pongo said:

It's difficult to find anywhere open for breakfast. Most places seem to open around 8-30 at the earliest. And even later at the weekend.

I'd love to find a good cafe doing breakfast and decent coffee which is open at say 7.

Within reason cost is not the issue.

it's the Caff or Mackie Ds at that hour. McDonald's do quite a reasonably priced breakfast wrap or bagel and the coffee isn't bad. Ok once in a while but you do see regulars in there. Builders meeting up and the boss briefing and sending them out on the day's job, former bank managers, long retired, meeting up etc. A good spot for people watching at that hour!

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

The caff on lord street does the best breakfast in my opinion

Perquisites for me are Noa bread or equivalent, smoked salmon, free range eggs and fresh ground coffee. If I ask for that I'm there will I get asked to leave?

Not everyday obviously.

And open at 7am.

ETA: maybe I should add the ubiquitous smiley. I get that some people prefer milky stewed tea, sliced white and a sausage made out of leftovers and gristle :)

24 minutes ago, pongo said:

Perquisites for me are Noa bread or equivalent, smoked salmon, free range eggs and fresh ground coffee. If I ask for that I'm there will I get asked to leave.

Noa is trading off past glories and the sourdough bread is pretty awful too as it’s just too heavy to eat. I wouldn’t buy it in Shoprite and I wouldn’t buy it there either. There are plenty of places in the IOM where you can get good quality food at a reasonable price. Your view seems to sum up the pretentiousness of the metrosexual elite cycling and finance sector wallies who you usually see swanning around in there just to be seen. 

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Your view seems to sum up the pretentiousness of the metrosexual elite cycling wallies who you usually see swanning around in there. 

What a load of daft chippy Mr Angry nonsense.

There is nothing pretentious about choice - and that's what this is about. It's also basic capitalism: The right to choose to pay for what one likes - rather than being expected to like it and lump it somewhere else out of some kind of stupid reverse-snobbery.

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

There are plenty of places in the IOM where you can get good quality food at a reasonable price.

Where else do you recommend for breakfast? Apart from the grim white-sliced and 'baps' places. Preferably open at 7.

Archived