Coronavirus

Chinahand

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even here in sleepy Norfolk people are waking up to just what is probably coming down the pike and stocking up.

Supermarket shelves in Norwich, even the big ones more like continental hypermarkets have some shelves unusually low on stock or empty on some days.

Hand sanitisers are like hens teeth as are disinfectants and disinfectant wipes, soaps, and toilet rolls. Bleach likewise.  Foodstuffs are also being hit, especially tinned stuff, biscuits, uht milk, lots of things with a long shelf life.  Unsurprisingly frozen food is readily available because a couple of local radio programs have pointed out that if workers maintaining infrastructure such as electricity supply are affected then there could quite probably be power cuts though it would be pretty bad before that happened but a freezer full of food isn't much use after a day or so without power.

Thinking about this I wondered if the same stocking up was taking place on the island, after all your supply chain is more problematic than ours over here.

At home we're better off than most, we've got a well in the garden and a tad of cheap bleach sanitises the water if water supplies are affected, quite possible if there's an interruption to electricity supplies, but all in all there's a growing sense of people starting to take this very seriously now.

2020 deaths so far..

2,114,085 Communicable disease

1,237,839 Children under 5

50,337 Childbirth

273,763 HIV/AIDS

1,337,483 Cancer

159,738 Malaria

814,097 Smoking

407,306 Alcohol

174,633 Suicide

219,832 Road traffic accident

2,933 Coronavirus.

get a grip.......

12 minutes ago, sir nige said:

2020 deaths so far..

50,337 Childbirth

273,763 HIV/AIDS

1,337,483 Cancer

159,738 Malaria

814,097 Smoking

407,306 Alcohol

174,633 Suicide

2,933 Coronavirus.

get a grip.......

Just consider the possible / probable effect on the food distribution chain to the island.

After even a couple of days with bad weather affecting it there's concern about your supermarket shelves, how about interruption to the distribution chain leading to the ferry or air service let alone just the mainland to island link which is what a bit of bad weather causes.

7 minutes ago, Rog said:

Just consider the possible / probable effect on the food distribution chain to the island.

After even a couple of days with bad weather affecting it there's concern about your supermarket shelves, how about interruption to the distribution chain leading to the ferry or air service let alone just the mainland to island link which is what a bit of bad weather causes.

No point in planning anything - The virus will mutate at least 3 times whilst waiting for the Ben to sail.

15 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

No point in planning anything - The virus will mutate at least 3 times whilst waiting for the Ben to sail.

Maybe plan to get some "hard tack" indoors. Increasing numbers of people over here are doing so now, alcohol hand wipes and hand gel is getting hard to find - another thing that's getting hard to find is sweetner such as Candrell - and don't forget the toilet paper! 

55 minutes ago, Rog said:

Whenever you post stuff like this Rog, I get the impression of you sitting there rubbing your hands with glee at your predicted demise of the island and its inhabitants. 

Why do you hate us so much? Was it a bad experience as a child?

Just now, wrighty said:

Whenever you post stuff like this Rog, I get the impression of you sitting there rubbing your hands with glee at your predicted demise of the island and its inhabitants. 

Far far from it.

It's because I believe that with things like this people over here are more aware of the potential impact that interruption to supply chains will have. It really is just a "heads up".  People stocking up what is typically three to four weeks of supplies is now happening quite widely - maybe because we're more aware on how it doesn't take much to have really far reaching effects. 

Increasing numbers of schools are being closed, increasing numbers of people are entering self quarantine usually as a result of advice by the 111 medical service and those people not being at work means that the work that they otherwise would do won't get done, bad enough for us but in the case of the island potentially n times worse because of being at an extension to the mainland distribution network.

So it really is a case of "hey guys, be aware of what's happening that will probably have a knock on and come as a nasty surprise if you don't get with the program".

No gloating, the precise opposite.

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

It's called "in need of attention".

1 hour ago, display name said:

It's called "in need of attention".

Trust me, if I needed attention I would not be looking for it here!

No, this is nothing more than offering a heads-up on what an increasing number of folk are doing over here because it's possible that the effects on especially the distribution chain have not been realised.  

That simple.

14 hours ago, sir nige said:

2020 deaths so far..

50,337 Childbirth

273,763 HIV/AIDS

1,337,483 Cancer

159,738 Malaria

814,097 Smoking

407,306 Alcohol

174,633 Suicide

2,933 Coronavirus.

get a grip.......

Oh Sir Nige ... do think. The issue is how that list might be different over the next two months. The prior 2 months was basically identical but Coronavirus was unknown and absent from the list. 
Pretend all you like, but 95% of the deaths have been in a population of less than 2% of China in a region smaller than the U.K. and look how easily in less than 2 months it has now spread worldwide. 
Extrapolations are always dangerous but when dealing with a micro organism which undergoes exponential growth you have plan ahead. I’m very glad the NHS CDC etc are taking this very seriously. It’s wise. 

52 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Oh Sir Nige ... do think. The issue is how that list might be different over the next two months. The prior 2 months was basically identical but Coronavirus was unknown and absent from the list. 
Pretend all you like, but 95% of the deaths have been in a population of less than 2% of China in a region smaller than the U.K. and look how easily in less than 2 months it has now spread worldwide. 
Extrapolations are always dangerous but when dealing with a micro organism which undergoes exponential growth you have plan ahead. I’m very glad the NHS CDC etc are taking this very seriously. It’s wise. 

:lol:

now go and wash your hands.....

3 hours ago, Rog said:

No, this is nothing more than offering a heads-up on what an increasing number of folk are doing over here because it's possible that the effects on especially the distribution chain have not been realised.  

I'm sure about how exposed you are to what people are doing "over here".

But I have plenty of tins, bottled water and a cupboard full of triple-ply TP. 

I guarantee, the exact same % of manx people are prepared as the mainlanders. Because that's how humans work.

Archived