Budget Bullshit Bingo (2020)

On The Bus

It's that time again where Alf has been burning the midnight oil ahead of another Manx Budget. 

I'm placing my bets on at least 5 mentions of 'Active Travel', the cost of the cruise pier to have increased from £11m to £17m, and more money to prop up the failing heritage railways. No increase in personal allowances [although we know the tax cap is going up to £200k].

Also possibly some kind of NI/Income Tax scam to 'sure up the health service'.

The curve ball will be what moves he takes to plug the pensions blackhole - my money being on something that kicks the can down the road into 2022. 

29 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

They'll probably raise the state pension age to 80 and use that cash to pay for government pensions. 

not for themselves though. They along with senior CS will still fuck off at 55 with a huge wedge of cash and a platinum pension

• Like 6

A Budget "tailor-made for the IoM" (MR online). Well, where else would he do it for?

Further raid on reserves predicted (especially with the pensions liability having increased by £400M+ in the last 18 months), but that raid said to be less than needed because of "improved income tax receipts".

New Green taxes including vehicle duties for fossil fuellers. New Green initiatives disguising further handouts to landowners. Passenger duties to cover airport and harbour investment.

Applause from Eddie Teare in the public gallery and Howard Quayle.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

not for themselves though. They along with senior CS will still fuck off at 55 with a huge wedge of cash and a platinum pension

While I wouldn't want to get in the way of a good thrashing for the senior CS, their retirement age is 65 is it not? Departure before 65 results in significant reductions to lump sum and pension entitlement doesn't it?